I start tutoring or teaching by discussing the topics in general with the student to assess their level of understanding and interest and where any difficulties in understanding might be. I use visual diagrams to teach many scientific principles and find that discussion is the best way to work through areas of confusion. I love to bring real-world examples into teaching concepts, and my extensive experience in a variety of scientific areas allows me to do this easily.
I am a real-world scientist with years of laboratory research experience. In each of my roles as a student and professional over the last decade I have sought to teach and bring up the next generation of scientists to understand scientific problem solving and to do so with scientific integrity. I have taught and tutored students in high school, college, and graduate level studies.
Price may be negotiated. Let's discuss.
Pro-Testing Solutions, LLC | Coeur d’Alene, ID | August 2020 - Present
Vice President of Program Development
• Implement laboratory testing portion of surveillance programs for COVID-19
• Develop and adapt protocols and write SOPs for RT-PCR assay to detect COVID-19 RNA
• Perform validation study of samples, reagents, tools, and equipment
• Train laboratory technicians to successfully perform COVID-19 testing
PolarityTE, Inc. | Salt Lake City, UT | January 2018 - October 2018
Director of Molecular Biology
• Managed and supported the molecular biology team by developing studies, tracking tasks, procuring supplies, selecting and installing equipment, and providing guidance on projects and reports
• Worked cross-departmentally to coordinate testing and imaging on animal model tissues for clinical studies
• Compiled, interpreted and presented complex data sets to R&D colleagues and executive management teams
• Coordinated and executed the move for the R&D department to a new facility while minimizing work disruption and maintaining the integrity of samples and equipment
PolarityTE, Inc. | Salt Lake City, UT | June 2017 - December 2017
Molecular Platforms Manager
• Established assays used to evaluate the effectiveness of new products in the R&D pipeline
• Refined and adapted protocols and techniques to bolster the scientific integrity of ongoing preclinical studies
Great Basin Scientific | Salt Lake City, UT | 2015 - 2017
• R&D experience in designing and testing initial concepts and feasibility of in vitro diagnostic tests including: compatibility of PCR primers and probes, chemistry of PCR and detection reactions, and PCR optimization
• Product development leadership in improving assays to function at highest capacities within set limitations, such as: technical and mechanical constraints, manufacturing conditions, and user requirements specifications
• Created documentation and training protocols for product transfer to manufacturing and quality groups
• Trained Quality Control team members to perform SOPs and quality testing accurately
• Managed junior scientists and interns in completion of FDA analytical studies, analyzed and prepared data submission for studies, including: limit of detection, reproducibility, competitive inhibition, etc.
• Communicated and coordinated interdepartmental efforts to solve technical problems and meet product deadlines
ARUP Laboratories | Salt Lake City, UT | 2014-2015
Cytogenetics Technologist, Trainee
• Performed high throughput clinical cytogenetics testing to prepare samples for karyotyping in highly regulated laboratory environment
• Quickly mastered complex techniques and refined standard operating procedures to ensure consistent high quality laboratory results for chromosome analysis
• Led troubleshooting efforts and improved group techniques when quality standards were not met
University of Utah | Department of Human Genetics | 2012-2014
Graduate Research Assistant
• Conducted research toward understanding the molecular basis of optic cup morphogenesis
• Generated transgenic zebrafish reporter lines to understand cell signaling between tissues that form the optic cup
• Created time-lapse movies with confocal microscopy to understand morphogenesis of optic cup development
• Made detailed observations of phenotypes that led to pedigree analysis and whole genome sequencing study to identify genetic modifiers of Hedgehog signaling pathways
• Employed advanced laboratory techniques: molecular biology, PCR and gel electrophoresis, zebrafish husbandry, immunofluorescence, confocal and brightfield microscopy etc.
• Executed many professional research presentations such as: journal clubs, research talks, and poster presentations at department events and conferences
Northwest Nazarene University | Department of Biology | 2009-2012
Undergraduate Biochemistry Research Fellow
• Performed independent biochemistry research studying the kinetics of human alcohol dehydrogenases
• Trained new students and colleagues on complex laboratory procedures
• Presented professional research talks and posters to colleagues at scientific conferences
• Employed advanced laboratory techniques: molecular cloning, recombinant protein purification by ion-exchange and affinity chromatography, spectrophotometry, enzyme activity assays, SDS-PAGE
• Received competitive Idaho INBRE Research Fellowship, summer 2011
Master of Science in Human Genetics University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT
Research Project: Toward the understanding of ocular coloboma in a zebrafish model of Gorlin Syndrome
under Dr. Kristen M. Kwan. My work utilized molecular biology and imaging techniques with the zebrafish model organism to investigate the molecular basis of the morphogenetic defects underlying the congenital birth defect, chorioretinal coloboma.
Graduate level coursework includes: genetics, biochemistry, developmental, and cell biology.
Passed preliminary examination in Human Genetics.
Bachelor of Science in Biology, received May 2012 from Northwest Nazarene University, Nampa, ID
Research Project: Kinetics of Human ADH7 under Dr. Jennifer R. Chase. My work focused on defining
kinetic properties of human alcohol dehydrogenase enzymes for modeling human diseases.
Magna cum laude; received 2012 Steven Wilson Outstanding Graduate Award for research excellence.
Coursework includes: cell and molecular biology, microbiology and immunology, and biochemistry.
Participated in a semester abroad at the Quetzal Education Resource Center in Costa Rica studying tropical ecology, sustainability, and language and culture.
biology lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest cell biology lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, genetics lessons for all!
Taking microbiology lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$25||Not available||$25|