When we are young we dream of traveling the world, visiting new places, and having adventures. But, to be able to travel we need to have money.
The costs of traveling can be really expensive, especially if we don't have a specific budget and if we don't plan in advance. We have to pay for food, transportation, accommodation, and extra expenses. It can be a really high bill if we don't plan ahead!
Young travelers usually find cheap hotels, youth hostels, Airbnbs, or even try to couch surf. And even if we cut the expenses by finding a cheap place to stay, there are still many other factors to consider.
We've written this article to help travelers figure out their budget for their trip to Mexico. Keep in mind that we'll give you an average of the cost, but the total cost can vary depending on where you decide to go.
Your budget should be calculated according to the number of days you plan to stay. You should consider accommodation, transportation, 3 meals per day (plus snacks), any night out, any museums or establishments you want to visit that have a cost of entrance, and things you might buy like souvenirs, shopping, etc.
If you're planning to go to Mexico this summer here is A Guide to Traveling to Mexico.
Remember that you will have to convert your money to the local currency, the Mexican Peso. Your best bet is to change some money in the airport to get safely and comfortably into the city but wait to change the rest of your money in the city where you can find a better price.
Costs in Mexico City
Most people decide to visit the capital of Mexico, which is Mexico City. Amongst the things you might want to visit are the Angel of Independence, Chapultepec Park, Palacio de Bellas Artes, and more. For more information, here is a quick list of The Best Monuments in Mexico.
You can move around the city in buses, metro, or taxis. Mexico City has the second-largest metro system in North America (after New York).
- Metro: The price of the metro is 5 pesos (0.25 USD).
- Metro Bus: The price of the metro bus is 6 pesos (0.30 USD).
- Suburban Train: Takes you further out of the city. The price of the Suburban Train is 6.50 or 15.50 pesos (0.32 USD or 0.77 USD)
- Taxi: Some taxis run on a meter but with others, you might have to negotiate a price with the driver in advance. The fare from the airport to the city depends on the hour of the day due to traffic but it can always be between 10 USD to 20 USD.
Keep in mind that these prices are for single trips. Therefore, you should calculate how many times you plan on taking each one per day and then multiply by the number of days you'll be there.
Mexico is a country with a rich gastronomic culture and you will probably spend a lot of time trying out some tasty dishes. So, do your research on the best Mexican food restaurants in the cities you plan to go to!
Therefore, you need a budget for food, but not to worry we have a quick list of places you can grocery shop and cool restaurants.
- Wal-Mart Mexico
Like anywhere else in the world, you can find cheap restaurants and expensive restaurants. It all depends on how much money you have and want to spend on food.
If you're on a budget, you can find places where you can eat for 8-10 USD. But, if you are foody and wish to find the best restaurants in Mexico here is a quick list:
- Pujol: it's listed on World’s 50 Best Restaurants.
- Quintonil: it's listed on World’s 50 Best Restaurants.
- Azul Histórico: The chef Ricardo Muñóz Zurita was named Chef of the Year in 2008.
- Páramo: It is only open at night, is a great hangout spot, and designed for eating and drinking well for a reasonable price.
Museums and tourist attractions
- Teotihuacan: Pyramids of Sun and Moon: the entrance fee is 57pesos (2.85 USD) for general admission. For those with a Mexican Old Age Card, the entrance is free.
- Palacio de Bellas Artes: You can enter for free but you must pay if you want to go to the art expositions.
- Chapultepec Park: no entrance fees. There's a cost to enter the Museum of Anthropology and the Palace of Chapultepec, both of which are inside the park.
- The Blue House - Frida Kahlo Museum: the entrance fee is 250 pesos (11.50 USD) for general admission.
Finding a hotel
Most travelers want to find a great, cheap, safe, and comfortable hotel. Although finding accommodation can be tricky it is not impossible.
You should consider finding a good place, perhaps central and close to the main attractions, that way you can walk some places and save money on transportation.
Hotels are usually more expensive than hostels and Airbnb is always a great option! The prices of accommodation will change depending on the city you're in. Consider that any hotel will cost a little more in Mexico City than it will in Playa del Carmen, Cancun, or Puerto Vallarta.
People try to save as much money as they can on accommodation but remember that you should find a place to stay that is safe. Although it is not a priority to find luxurious places, at the end of the day you're only going to spend the night sleeping there.
Here is a small list of things to search for to find a good and cheap place to stay:
- Be flexible: try to find the best option but be flexible enough to not meet all your requirements.
- Book online: people find the best prices and places online.
- Try to contact hotels directly: this way you can answer all your questions or doubts.
- Try last-minute booking platforms.
Are you planning your trip to Mexico? Here is more information on Finding Accommodations in Mexico.
Travel between states
If you want to go on vacation to Mexico and visit as much of the Latin American country as you can then you have to consider transportation between states in your budget.
Buses are your best bet for long-distance public transportation in Mexico. There is an extensive network of buses and at all kinds of prices. If you're planning a long journey, travel in the highest class your budget will allow: the extra comfort is worth the cost.
If you're traveling during a high season, for example during the summer, you should book your bus trip in advance. During the low season, you can buy your bus tickets on the spot.
You can also travel by train for longer distances!
Visiting the beach
The beach will forever be a major tourist attraction because people love to find relaxing destinations for their vacation. And what's more relaxing than the beach?
As you probably already know, Mexico is famous for having beautiful beach cities like Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, Tulum, Puerto Escondido, or Playa del Carmen.
But as beautiful as these beach cities can be, they can be quite expensive.
Continue reading and learning about Mexico on Cities You Have to Visit in Mexico.
Remember that the only way to travel on a budget is by reducing the costs as much as you can. This doesn't mean that you will not spend any money on your trip, you just try to cut the costs and spend your money wisely.
Make sure that on your budget you define how much you can spend on average per day and allocate a budget for any night you plan to go out.
Finally, remember that you always need to check if you need a visa to travel to any country. If you are a US citizen you don't need a tourist visa for Mexico. But, if you ever do need a visa to visit a country you should include the price of the visa into the costs and expenses of the trip.
We hope this guide helped you plan your trip to Mexico a little better!
The platform that connects tutors and students