Dance teachers and choreographers can be found working at dance studios and dance academies but they can also be available to work with you in your own home.
Most cities have a variety of dance teachers for you to choose from, so it is important to know what to look for in a good dance teacher in order to make the optimal decision.
Patience, flexibility, professionalism, and passion are all qualities that you should look for in a dance teacher. Most anyone can become a great dancer but it takes a special kind of person to be able to effectively teach dance.
Great dance teachers are not just choreographers, they need to be equipped with the right tools to be able to mold beginners into poise and smooth dancers.
One of the easiest ways to see if a teacher is right for you is to take a class, most dance tutors offer a free first-time trial class so that you can truly access who you would feel being instructed by them.
You can start by searching for dance classes near you!
Deciding Your Preferred Dance Style
Before delving into deciding what dance tutor you would like to have, you must first decide what kind of style of dance you would like to learn. Different dance tutors specialize in different styles of dance.
You will get the most out of your lessons if your dance instructor is well versed in your preferred style of dance. So what kind of dance moves do you want to learn?
Here are a couple of the most popular dance styles:
- Tango - is a popular partner dance that originated in the 1880s in Argentina and Uruguay. It is usually described as a very passionate dance. It allows the dancers to express themselves, improvise, and connect with one another. While dancing the tango, there is usually a leader and a follower, one invites the latter to take a series of steps and the follower chooses to accept the move. It is usually danced to tango music.
- Hip Hop - usually dance to hip hop music, this type of dance has several variations but the most common is breakdancing.
- Waltz - this is a type of ballroom dancing that is comprised of soft, round, flowing movements. It is usually danced in partners and characterized by its rise and fall movements. The signature moves in the waltz are a step, slide, and a step in 3/4 time.
- Modern dance - or contemporary dance began as a revolution against the structured and rigid ballet. It is a relaxed form of dancing that allows for free expressing of emotions. Moods and emotions are the guides to the steps and routines.
- Tap dance - the name of this form of dance comes from the noises made by the small metal plates on the dancer's shoes. With every step, a tap is heard as the dancer touches their shoes down on the floor.
- Ballet - is known as the backbone of dance. It is one of the more traditional artistic dances and originated in Renaissance Italy. Classical ballet is defined by the graceful and fluid movements of the dancer's body and the use of point shoes or slippers. It is usually danced to classical music.
- Jazz - Jazz dance originated alongside jazz music in the early 20th century. It is a type of social dance. Some identifying elements of jazz are isolations, grounded movement, syncopation, contractions, and sensuality.
Learning new styles of dance is one of the leading reasons for people to take on dance lessons. No matter what style you choose to learn, dance classes will be a fun and exciting way to explore this beautiful art form.
What to Look for in a Dance Teacher
When trying to decide what your best option for a dance teacher would be, there are several factors that might come into play. The teacher's experience, level of dance education, teaching methods and styles, and their specializations should all bet taken into consideration when you are choosing your instructor.
You will be paying for a service, so it is important to choose someone that will make the investment feel worth the time and money. There are various factors that affect the price of dance classes in your area.
Tips for choosing the right dance tutor:
- Find someone that is proud of their dance background. It is important to ask for a dance instructor’s credentials. Take into account their years of experience as dancers and as dance teachers.
- They understand your dance goals. In order for your dance tutor to be effective in helping you improve, both of you need to have a clear definition of your dance goals. What do you hope to ultimately be able to do? And can this instructor get you there?
- Choose a dance tutor that supports and respects you. A great teacher will be sensitive to your level of technique. They will be able to support you with a personalizes approach to your abilities.
Choosing the right dance instructor is essential but make sure to also look at the classes they provide. Do the classes fit your schedule, budget, and preferred dance style? These are all details to consider.
Reviews and certifications are also important to look at. Ask for a list of references from your possible dance tutor or look up their reviews online. Make sure you have a good idea of the dance teacher's methods are before signing up for a class.
You can learn how to dance here.
Experiencing a Dance Class
There are plenty of reasons you have to dance, so its time to put those reasons to the test! You can attend trial classes in order to feel out the class environment and find out if the teaching methods of a particular dance tutor are right for you.
One great way of deciding if a dance teacher is right for you is taking one of their classes. Most dance studios and private dance instructors offer a trial class for free. 90% of Superprof dance tutors offer a free first class to dancers.
By taking a class you will be able to access if you like the class size, teaching method of the instructor, the conditions of the facility and the overall environment.
Take advantage of the opportunity to try a class out, if you feel comfortable with all the different aspects, then sign up. If not, you are free to try out other locations and see what fits best for your dancing needs.
Dance Teachers for Special Needs
Dancing is for everyone! It is an art form that is all-inclusive and has hundreds of different forms that allow dancers to take part, no matter their restrictions.
There are also dance tutors that specialize in working with dancers that have limitations, whether physical, learning, or other special needs.
Group dance classes that adapt to special needs kids and adults are a little harder to find but there are options for private lessons with teachers specialized in working with special needs. There is also the option of looking at a dance therapist. Dance therapy is "as the psychotherapeutic use of movement to promote emotional, social, cognitive, and physical integration of the individual, for the purpose of improving health and well-being".
It is important to mention the motives of your classes to your potential dance teachers. When you do explain the specifics of the special needs, they will be better equipped to guide you in the right direction. If a local studio does not offer accommodations, they can at least recommend someone who can.
No matter your needs or limitations there is a dance class just for you and you can find out your options here!