- Private Tutoring Costs: Why Do They Vary So Much?
- Cost of Private Tutoring on Average: What’s a Fair Price?
- Average Cost of Private Tutoring per Hour
- How to Find the Best Possible Price?
- Invest in Your Future With Private Tutoring
- A Price Alternative for Private Lessons: Online Private Tutors
- The Price of Private Tutors in Superprof
- Find a Private Tutor with Superprof
According to a study by PISA (Program for International Student Assessment) for OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development) the performance of US students has been stagnant for decades when it comes to education. Given these factor, it's no surprise that private tutoring for children and adults has never been more relevant.
When you consider getting a one on one tutor for you or your child, you’ll ask yourself a few questions about:
- how you’ll benefit from being tutored
- the type of tutor they’ll be
- how much time you’ll need
However, the service price will be one of your biggest concerns.
For example, do you know how much math, geometry, or calculus private lessons cost? Is it better to get online tutoring or not?
Given the way the economy is this year, it’s normal to hesitate when you consider private tutoring services.
However, with a bit of research, you'll come across a lot of competitively-priced academic tutoring and thus be able to find the best personal tutors per pound.
Since Superprof wants everyone to succeed, we’ve decided to help you find the best prices for both in-home private tutorials and online tutorials with an individual or business. By the end of this article, you’ll know everything you need to know about the price of one on one tutoring and find it easier to make that all important decision!
Private Tutoring Costs: Why Do They Vary So Much?
On Superprof, like on other tutoring companies' websites, the price of private tutorials at home can change depending on a number of different factors.
When you look for a private tutor, you’ll need to take into account the reasons why prices vary in order to find the best price.
There are plenty of factors that can change the price of academic support and private tutorials.
Where you live can greatly change how much your tutor charges. Different towns and cities in the US have different average rates. For example, the average math tutor in New York costs $24 USD per hour. However, the average price is $23 USD per hour in Los Angeles and Chicago tutors charge $21 USD per hour.
It’s hardly surprising that the rates for private tutorials are higher in the big apple since the cost of living is, too. Also, when setting their hourly rates, tutors need to consider transportation costs and any other expenses they might have to make to deliver the lessons.
Superprof, like other tutoring companies, has a large variety of different tutors offering private tutorials.
This means that personal tutors vary from self-taught experts to professionally-trained teachers with a lifetime of experience.
Their qualifications and experience will affect the price of the tutorials, of course. It’s unlikely that a tutor just starting out will charge the same rates as a tutor with 15 years of experience.
Some tutors will also have more certificates and diplomas than others. This directly affects their hourly rate. Imagine all the time, effort and money they spent into their education; this should also be considered when setting a price for their services.
While this might mean a more expensive class for you, it also means that you will have a tutor with a better curriculum and someone who might even have knowledge of pedagogic methods to help you learn faster.
Consider if this is a priority for you when booking your private lessons and looking at the average cost of private tutoring per hour.
Another thing that affects private tutoring costs is the subject or the specialization that you want to study. This happens because supply and demand can have a huge bearing on the price.
For example, an average rate for physics tutorials in New York City is around $27 USD per hour. However, guitar lessons average $38 USD per hour and piano lessons average $49 USD per hour.
This probably means that more people are looking for piano lessons in New York than physics. Piano tutors probably have more demand so they are able to raise their rates a little bit more. If you want to study a very demanded subject, chances are you will find yourself in this pricing situation.
The Student’s Level
Whether at elementary school, secondary school, high school, looking for advanced tutors, university, or adult tutors, you can get help at any stage of your life. Again, this can affect the rates for private tutorials. In fact, if you have a bachelor's degree and a master’s degree in a given subject, your lessons will be at a higher level and the rates you pay will be too!
Tutoring jobs are usually paid more highly if they require more work. For example, you'll pay less if you find a one to one tutor to help you with your homework or assignment in comparison to doing preparation for your exams.
Don’t forget that some of Superprof tutors offer rates for block booking which can benefit from a discount of up to 15%. And around 90% of tutors on Superprof offer their first class for free.
Cost of Private Tutoring on Average: What’s a Fair Price?
To get the best out of your private lessons, the tutor has to feel like they’re being fairly paid.
So you want to have private tutorials but you don’t want your tutor’s approach to be limited by the fact that they’re not being paid fairly.
There are several things you should take into consideration when examining the costs of tutorials:
- that the price will be higher if you want intensive test prep from a certified teacher
- what you want to learn and the tutor you choose from the thousands on Superprof,
- the characteristics of the tutor on Superprof in order to better understand their skills and, above all, their rates.
Tutors on Superprof can provide a highly-detailed profile displaying all their studies and experience.
Is there a tick on the private tutor’s profile?
This means that their profile has been validated by the Superprof team so they are guaranteed to be good!
Here’s a quick overlook of the average prices per hour by subject in the USA:
- Maths: $19 USD
- Biology: $21 USD
- Design: $27 USD
- English: $22 USD
- Russian: $23 USD
- Fitness: $25 USD
- Knitting: $19 USD
- Singing: $34 USD
- Piano: $40 USD
Private lessons aren’t just academic coaching for a child in their school years. Leisure activities are also offered to those who want to be learning new skills.
Average Cost of Private Tutoring per Hour
Now that you have a better idea of how much a tutor charges for each subject, that's all you need to know, right? What about if we said that tutors will then set their prices according to the level they are teaching (which makes perfect sense when you think of it, they are obviously going to want to charge more if they are having to prepare advanced materials for a lesson with a college student as opposed to an elementary school level session for children).
That said, as you can see from the table below, the cost of lessons does not necessarily go up according to the complexity of the subject, rather it fluctuates because of which are the most in demand for their business.
So, whether you need some support with Advanced Math or French, for example, then you can expect the prices to naturally vary according to the expertise required or the amount of work required for the tutor to put in.
You might be thinking: if a tutor has high demand for Advanced Math tutoring, then why charge more when they can re-use materials? In actual fact, while some materials may be used across student groups and even across levels, your tutor will do so much more to tailor the lessons to your specific needs and goals so it is just a case of relaying the same worksheets or lessons over and over again.
He or she will probably have to do their own homework in preparing for your session, just like a student!
How to Find the Best Possible Price?
Lessons with a private tutor can quickly become expensive. But this shouldn't bring you down. There are still ways for you to get a private tutor that is within your budget.
Here are some tips that will help you keep tutor prices down:
- Have group lessons instead of private lessons: have group lessons in order to divide the cost of the lessons. You can create a group of 3 or 4 students who are looking to improve in the same subject as you and set up a tutoring schedule that's convenient for everyone. This way a number of you can split the cost and benefit from a better price.
- Shy away from intensive schedules: reducing the frequency of your lessons and spreading them out over a longer period of time rather than following an intensive schedule can help you budget and keep monthly costs lower. Make sure you have a clear idea of how much you are willing to pay for a private tutor per month and make sure that your schedule helps you adhere to that budget.
- Put learning in your own hands: while it is true that your tutor should be your study guide and help you achieve your goals, it is unrealistic to expect them to carry all the work in the lessons. In order to advance faster and make sure that you are achieving your goals, make sure you study more between the lessons in order to maximize the efficacy of your in-home tutor’s teaching.
- Don't get fixated on diplomas, certificates or qualifications: you can choose a tutor with fewer qualifications, this doesn’t mean they’re any less capable. Some great tutors are self taught and will probably have a different and less orthodox teaching method that just might work for you. Give them a chance and you might be pleasantly surprised!
You might also be asking yourself how you can reduce the number of hours private lessons needed? Will they be of a lower quality? It’s totally normal to ask yourself about the risks of having cheaper tutorials. But in fact, even when spending a lot of money, you can never be 100% sure that you and your tutor’s personalities will click and that your lessons will be completely effective.
Another tip we can give you is that some tutors on Superprof might offer their first hour for free. This means that you can see if you like their style and approach without taking any financial risks. Private lessons with Superprof tutors are no-obligation, giving you the freedom to learn!
Invest in Your Future With Private Tutoring
In-home private lessons with a tutor are sort of an investment and it’s normal to question the value of this investment before you dive straight in to your academic support adventure. Will it be worth it? Will I reach my objectives?
Nevertheless, we can assure you that it’s a useful investment.
There are plenty of benefits to having lessons with a private tutor, especially when it comes to your academic future. Some of the benefits are:
- You could potentially avoid failing in school.
- You can tackle advanced classes and improve your GPA thanks to personalized teaching from a professional educator.
- You could benefit from a different style of teaching which can be original and fun, with interactive exercises, either over webcam or via the use of apps.
- You can choose a better way to learn with a tutor who also acts as your academic advisor and gives you the study skills you need to become a successful learner.
- You can increase your average grades in the long-term.
This last one is one of the most important points. It is no secret that when it comes to college admissions and lifelong opportunities, your grades are everything. They determine which schools you will be able to access and what type of professional future you can expect.
Both parents and students looking at the postings on Superprof are often doing so for one main reason: to improve the grades on a student’s report.
When it comes to the best universities, a student’s grades and SAT results are carefully considered. This is why increasing their results with a private tutor could be decisive when it comes to a student’s future.
If you or your kid are interested in getting into a top college or are dreaming of an Ivy League education, you will need to work hard on your GPA and your SAT scores and prove that you have what it takes to be a part of the academic community in one of these schools.
Look for tutors who have previous experience helping students get into these top colleges since they might also have some tips surrounding better test taking and fact retention.
A Price Alternative for Private Lessons: Online Private Tutors
The last years have caused a major shift in the way we learn. With the rise of online education and the help of platforms like Zoom, Hangouts and Skype, it is easier to connect with private tutors and take lessons from any corner of the world.
In Superprof, we have thousands of tutors who offer their teaching services through online platforms. The best thing? If you are on a budget or trying to save some money on your private lessons, online classes could potentially be less expensive than in-person lessons.
This happens because transportation and material costs go down for tutors and they are able to deduct them from their overall hourly rate. You can ask them if that's the case.
Here are some of the other advantages of online tutoring:
- Availability: geography and time is not a matter of concern at all. Learning can happen anytime and anywhere and you don't need to schedule your whole day and organize your commute in order to learn. You can do it from the comfort of your own home! The same thing happens for your tutor.
- Personalized approach online: One on one lessons are great because they allow you to learn exactly what you need and at the pace that you need to learn it. But the great advantage of having said lessons online is that everything will be personalized, the tutor, the materials... The versatile nature of online tutoring permits students to book sessions that match their own busy schedules. It puts one in the driver’s seat when the other has to compete for his business, rather than the other way around.
- It is available for everyone: starting from the age of 4 until the age of 100, online tutoring is perfect for anyone who wants to take part. Any age group interested in online tutoring can opt for it sitting in the comfort of their home. People who are ill and cannot travel can easily access the courses online without any hindrance. Students also feel less threatened to seek help using an online system.
- It doesn't feel like going to school: Online private lessons allow students to study in a safe environment without any interference or distraction. Instead of tutors or teachers who are supervising a study session with multiple students, they will have the undivided dedicated attention of an exclusive subject matter expert. But also, it is a great way to have interactive materials and resources online, get into gamification and apps and make it feel like a totally different learning experience.
- It helps you be better organized: reports show that online tutoring has increased the overall efficiency of tutors as all the courses are well-organized suiting the requirements of the learner. On the other hand, students also benefit from this since they are able to access documents and resources at free will, record lessons and look for online references.
If you are open to the possibility of online lessons with a private tutor, make sure to ask your tutor how they go about it and be ready to learn from any corner of the world!
The Price of Private Tutors in Superprof
The private tutorials market is constantly growing and Superprof has been looking at some of the figures surrounding this growth.
Here are some of the interesting information that came to life:
- The average price of an hourly tutorial is $24 USD.
- The average price for a music lesson varies by instrument. Drum lessons average $35 USD per hour while trumpet lessons are $33 USD per hour on average.
- Language lessons also have different costs. Spanish costs an average of $23 USD per hour, Mandarin $26 USD per hour, French costs $27 USD per hour and German costs $25 USD per hour.
- For a specialized subject, such as tax law, you should be looking to pay around $18 USD per hour.
- This study also showed just how quickly the tutors on the platform respond to queries.
- Tutors take less than 24 hours to respond to a student query which is massively important in this day and age where everything is available instantly.
Now that you know more about the cost of private tutorials, all that’s left to do is have a look at some of the private tutors on Superprof and see which ones are best suited to your needs.
Find a Private Tutor with Superprof
Are you ready to start your private lessons with Superprof? We have a couple of tips before you begin:
- Have your objectives in mind, be very clear about your expectations.
- Make a budget and make sure to check out the average cost of private tutoring per hour in your area.
- Check out the tutors' profiles and qualifications.
- Read other students' reviews about the tutor you want to connect with.
- Set a schedule for your private lessons.
- Have a first session to meet your tutor before committing to more lessons.
- Have fun and make the most out of your private tutor!
The platform that connects tutors and students