Roller skating is beyond just a recreational activity. It provides social, mental, and physical solace, especially while roller skating in Miami or Los Angeles. Skate-friendly cities such as these offer a scenic backdrop for skaters to glide around in front of.
Roller skating along the beaches through the concrete canyons and past admiring tourists almost makes you forget how much physical strength you're applying.
However beneficial it may be to learn roller skating, it can also be the most fun activity once you get the hang of it.
Furthermore, what attracts people towards skating is how much safer it is than surfing, boxing, and other recreational activities like skydiving.
How Is Skating Good For Your Health?
There are countless health benefits of roller skating. It is a wholesome activity that only helps in upgrading your body. Here are a few roller skating benefits that can instantly convince you to start skating.
- Help With Weight-Loss: Roller skating is a fun way to burn calories. The inconvenient part of working out is how boring and monotonous it can be. Roller skating solves that and transforms exercising into an enjoyable activity. It allows an average-sized adult to burn 9 or 10 calories per every minute they glide.
- Builds Muscles: Another exciting roller skating benefit is that it also builds muscles. It is a great lower body exercise involving the calves, quads, and glutes. Hence, gliding on the skates can build core and arm strength.
- Improves Heart Health: When you're roller skating, your blood pumps fast, and your heart rate increases, improving your cardiovascular health. The American Heart Association has acknowledged this fact and has listed skating as a top exercise for heart health
- Good For The bones: Being a low-impact activity, roller skating maintains your bone health and puts minimal stress on your joints. That makes it an excellent exercise for all ages. It can be incorporated as cross-training, daily fitness, or a fun family workout
- Mental Health Benefits: Besides improving your physical health, roller skating can also prove to be generous to your mental health. Regular skating can reduce stress and improve mood, building a happier and more focused society.
Aside from all its health benefits, try roller skating in Portland, Miami, or elsewhere because you will enjoy being a part of the skating culture that is still so relevant there.
Buying Roller Skates: Outdoor Vs. Indoor Roller Skating
If you plan to make a career or habit out of roller skating in the USA, gliding on rentals can't be your option.
Therefore, it is essential to start with buying a pair of skates that make you want to skate more, not put you off.
Visit a store, and browse through countless options, each differing according to:
- Wheel alignment
- Indoor/Outdoor application
To determine which skates would suit you, it is crucial to know where you plan to skate and how much you will put them through.
Both inline and quad skates are available in indoor and outdoor varieties. And it's your choice whether you would prefer skating outdoors or indoors.
Like Miami, NYC is also a haven for roller skaters. If you live in New York, the iconic city for outdoor roller skating, you wouldn't want to miss out on the experience of roller skating in NYC.
However, it also depends on the weather, time, and other variables relevant to where you reside. Calculate the pros and cons of your choices, keeping your daily route in mind.
Outdoor wheels come with a flexible, rubberized texture, adept at absorbing shocks from uneven terrains. Unfortunately, as a result, they usually wear out faster than indoor wheels.
Indoor roller skate wheels are made to glide across smooth hardwood floors, so they're much harder than ones on outdoor roller skates.
Moreover, they are also relatively smaller because their primary purpose doesn't entail overcoming sticks, pebbles, and dirt.
Do you wish to skate both indoor and outdoor but want to buy one pair of roller skates? Then, here is a favorable solution for you.
If you are primarily an indoor skater, you can buy indoor shoes, and when you want to skate outdoors, just switch out the wheels to the outdoor ones.
Similarly, if you usually skate outdoors, buy shoes made for outdoor excursions and swap out the wheels when you want to skate indoors.
Best Places For Roller Skating in Miami
Roller skating in Miami, with its beautiful landscape, can be very therapeutic.
Besides, naturally being a perfect place to roller skate, some sites in Miami will give you an unforgettable skating experience.
Read ahead to know the best places where you can go to roller skate in Miami:
Crandon Gardens serve as walk-in floral vignettes filled with full-wall murals and living plants. In addition, the twists and turns of the pedestrian pathways are fit to be used as terrific roller skating trails.
However, skaters share these pathways with pedestrians and cyclists. All of them value the relaxing aura of the place and accommodate each other without any hassle.
The routes throughout Crandon Gardens are well maintained and smooth. If parking space concerns you, there is plentiful of that, too.
Everything At SoBe
Miami Beach is party central. It also serves as an excellent space for expert roller skaters to do their thing amid everything else happening there.
As part of the SoBe scene, South Pointe Park is one of the most frequented locations for roller skating in Miami due to its leveled, flowing slopes.
Roller skaters can also strut their tricks on ramps instead of endangering themselves on steps. These paths come to rollerbladers as a high-speed surprise, filled with easy to maneuver obstacles.
The Friday Night Skate Session Near The Beach
This one is the most interesting among all the options. Each Friday, approximately 50 roller skaters meet at around 6.30 pm on Washington Avenue, right outside Fritz's Skate Shop.
At 7 pm, the troupe takes off from the meeting point. The skaters only stop for water breaks in their 10-12 mile route. And after they skate, the group heads over to parlay over pizza and get to know each other.
Skating with these professionals at 10 miles per hour is the best skating experience anywhere in America. However, as easy as they sound, these sessions are not meant for novices.
The administrators are adamant that participants wear protective gear; this includes:
- Wrist guards
- Knee pads
- Elbow pads
They also advise participants to carry or attach a light source to themselves for when it gets dark.
FIU University Park Campus
The walkways of Florida International University make for great roller skating in Miami as the students leave the campus early.
Its concrete walkways are long, straight, and they run alongside spacious courtyards. Moreover, the campus grounds are circled by a peripheral route.
However, the landscape of FIU isn't as aesthetically pleasing as Miami Beach, but with fewer people around, you can practice in peace.
On the other hand, you won't have an audience gawking at you, so it might not be an ideal space for buskers or professional skaters who feed off crowds.
However, this absence of an audience will serve well for beginners. They can wobble and fall all they want without being embarrassed.
Favorite Sunset Skate
The area surrounding the Kendall Lakes – approximately close to 137th Avenue – gives off a great sunset view with a smooth bike path circling the lake.
In addition, it provides slick roller skating opportunities and an unobstructed view with no towering buildings in the vicinity, unlike the city center.
Skating in this area is really relaxing, so if you want to revive your tranquility, this location can be your best option.
Most Popular Cities In the USA For Roller Skating
Besides Miami, roller skating has a significant following in other American cities as well. So, if you're planning to visit or live in any of these cities, pack your skates!
- The famous Golden Gate Bridge serves as the backdrop for one of the best skating areas in the USA. Roller skating in San Francisco is celebrated like a festival. Half of John F. Kennedy Drive is closed to traffic on Sundays, and skaters are encouraged to participate in roller hockey games. Around 6th Avenue and Fulton Street, there's music playing with freestyle skating and dancing
- Roller skating in NYC is iconic. If you're a fan of roller skating, it is a must-visit for you. There are trails and indoor and outdoor skate parks everywhere
- A massive chunk of LA's population is into roller skating. The scenery, the views, and the weather almost make roller skating in Los Angeles a heavenly experience. Whether you glide along the beach pathway or cruise through Hollywood hills, roller skating in Los Angeles is something you can't miss
- One of the oldest rinks to host roller skating is in Oak Parks Amusement Park in Portland. It is also the largest skating rink in America. It improves the overall experience of roller skating in Portland with an organ player who overlooks the rink, playing live music
- Sparkles Hiram is a newly remodeled skating center situated slightly North of Atlanta. It includes a tiered indoor playground, a full-service café, a live DJ playing the latest jams, and thorough internet connectivity. Sparkles Hiram takes roller skating in Atlanta to a whole new level
Start Skating Like An Expert In No Time!
It's never too late to start experiencing the perks of roller skating. You might have a tough time initially, but once you get the hang of balancing on the wheels, skating will become an effortless activity for you.
Moreover, the key to becoming an expert is consistent practice and professional guidance. Hence, hiring a trainer who sets you in the right direction and motivates you to step up saves a lot of effort and time.
With Superprof, the struggle of finding an expert roller skating tutor in your area will be gone. No matter where you are, using Superprof, you can find plenty of tutors suiting your needs.