Every student dreams of attending the best college and graduating with the best grades from their bachelor's degree. That's why choosing a school is as important as choosing a degree.
The education and academic system is designed to prepare us for the real world, and that's why we need to take advantage and make the most out of our years in college so that afterward, we'll be ready to face the world.
As we mentioned, you'll not only have to choose a degree, but also you need to define which school, college, university, or institute you want to attend for the next four years of your life.
And the problem here is that the United States has thousands of options for students from all backgrounds and talents, and sometimes figuring out what to do after high school can be a little overwhelming, especially since you have to decide where you want to be in a couple of years.
There are private and public schools, universities that offer international exchange programs, colleges that offer great financial aid and scholarships, institutions where you can learn about health, engineering, technology, any social science, and much more.
You can also go to any state or city you want to go to. You can choose between Illinois, Texas, Colorado, North or South Carolina, Washington, New York, Florida, Georgia, Missouri, California, and 39 other states.
In this article, we're going to tell you about the top universities in the USA, what constitutes a good college or university, how the ranking of universities and colleges works in the USA, and the best states to study in the country.
If you need help figuring out where to go after high school check out A guide to choosing a university.
What makes a university or college good?
If you are looking to apply to college this or next year you're probably trying to figure out which schools, universities, and colleges are good and how to differentiate the good from the mediocre ones.
And if you're not thinking about this we recommend you start because where you go to school can define many different things!
Your level of education can open or close doors of opportunities for you in the future, your classmates will be the first people you network with, and the professors are going to be your link into the real world; which means that choosing wisely is important.
Finding the perfect college will take some time and research, especially because what is best for someone else doesn't necessarily mean it will also be the best for you.
First, you have to define which parameters are important for you. For instance, are you looking for a school that offers an amazing academic life, has a great campus, is well located, has outstanding faculty and staff, or a helpful financial aid office.
If you want to attend a college that has an outstanding academic curriculum then you should start your research by looking at the degrees, classes, and courses they offer. You should also pay attention to their library and research how many books they have, how big it is, books on how many topics they have and so on.
On the other hand, if you're interested in the location then you should pick a state or city and look for schools there. For example, if you want to live in Florida, Texas, California, Illinois, South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Colorado, Missouri, New York, Washington, San Francisco, Chicago, or Los Angeles, then you need to check for schools there.
Students usually pay attention to campus life and community because it's the place where they'll spend the most time. If a great campus is what you have in mind then you should consider paying the school a visit before or during your senior year in high school and see if you like the space, ambiance, and overall vibe.
It also depends on what you want to study. For example, if you want to study social science then you should go to a school known for its social science program or degrees. And if you want to study technology then you must research for technological institutes.
Many factors make a good college, that's why we recommend you define which are the most important factors for you.
How to know the school you want to apply to is well ranked?
Looking at an institution's ranking is always important but sometimes we don't really know where to look or research. Many different organizations dedicate themselves to rank universities and colleges in the world and, of course, in the USA.
We recommend you don't base your research on one ranking, but go ahead and check different organizations and rankings.
Besides, every year the rankings of universities and colleges change, so make sure that if you started doing your research in junior year, that you check again during your senior year.
There are also many rankings for programs, every bachelor's degree, international exchange programs, level of education, amicable cities for students to live in, best campus, community life, best academic system, the difference between a private and public institution, and so on.
The one thing you always have to keep in mind is that you want to go to a college or university where you will learn the most. And that should be one of the factors that you weigh the most before making a decision.
Your bachelor's degree will open many doors of opportunities for you, especially if you choose wisely the place where you'll carry out your studies.
Students often forget that choosing a university or a college is more than just thinking about the fun parts (although this is important) you must make your academic life and education a priority.
Figure out what are the pros and cons of going to university.
Top 10 universities in the USA
The education system in the United States is famous around the world, and that's because its institutions are frequently ranked at the top of every list.
If you want to get a bachelor's degree in the United States you'll have to consider many different factors, but we recommend you also weigh everything there is to gain from getting your bachelor's degree here.
And you can always look at the different states and decide where you want to go. If you want to enjoy having a nice life we recommend you look for schools in California, Florida, Colorado, Missouri, North, and South Carolina; but if you enjoy the hectic life you can go to New York, Washington, Georgia, Texas, and so on.
The important thing is that you choose a place where you'll learn a lot, meet great people, build a community and that it offers great college programs for people of all backgrounds.
Here is a list of the top 10 universities in the USA and their acceptance rate:
- Stanford University - 4%
- Harvard University - 5%
- Yale University - 6%
- Princeton University - 6%
- Columbia University - 5%
- California Institute of Technology - 6%
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology - 7%
- University of Pennsylvania - 8%
- The University of Chicago - 6%
- University of California, Berkeley - 16%
Continue reading about school on What to consider when choosing a university?
Famous states to study
The USA has 50 different states for students to choose from. And even though the amount of options we have is amazing, it can also be a little overwhelming. Here we will tell you about some states and why students choose to study there:
- Florida: students choose to study in Florida because of its warm weather, its beaches, the great schools, and, honestly, the fun activities available across the state of Florida.
- Illinois: if you decide to study in Illinois you'll have the opportunity to live in one of the most beautiful cities in the country, and that is Chicago. Illinois is also home to one of the top universities listed above.
- New York: who wouldn't want to live in New York City? You can attend NYU and get an amazing academic experience and at the same time live in one of the greatest cities in the world.
- Washington: students who are interested in studying politics, international relations, or diplomacy are usually interested in going to Washington. But, don't forget this beautiful state is more than just politics and you can have as much fun here as you would in Florida or New York.
- Texas: if you are a fan of the southern states and their culture then Texas is the place for you. Aside from the really good universities and colleges in Texas, this state is also famous for its rich culture and great people.
- California: this state is known for its beautiful and famous cities like Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, and so on. California is also the home to great universities and colleges, and aside from the city of Los Angeles, it is famous for its beautiful beaches, parks, and natural sightseeings.
- North Carolina: This state, like California, is famous for its beautiful scenery and if as a student you decide to live here you'll be able to enjoy more than just the academic life, but also the outings and adventures with friends. North Carolina is also known for its quiet and calm life, and if you are a student that enjoys these characteristics, then you should consider this state as an option.
- South Carolina: This is another great state for students because it is quiet, safe, and fun! South Carolina, like North Carolina, has beautiful sceneries that make for great outings to create memories with your college friends.
- Georgia: Atlanta is another really beautiful city in the USA, and apart from that, it is home to great universities, student-friendly, and more. Georgia is another popular state in the USA and you'd be lucky to have the opportunity to live there.
- Colorado: this state is famous for its quiet life but also it is known for its beautiful landscapes. If you decide to go to school in Colorado you'll be able to enjoy the benefits of going to a great school and having a peaceful life.
- Missouri: last but not least we are going to mention Missouri. This state offers a great climate, amazing people, good schools, and it has many fun activities for students to enjoy.
The platform that connects tutors and students