My pedagogical approach is communicative, assuring I have a strong, positive rapport with my students. Equity is very important to me, especially now with at-home/distance education. Because of the pandemic, many students are unfairly on an un-even playing field, and it is my job to even it back out. I am tech-savvy and can make distance learning fun, yet still effective. As a college professor, I know what teachers are looking for and expecting, so your chances of writing an A paper are significantly high with my help.
As your SuperProf, I will help you understand assignments that might be confusing. I will help you with reading and writing assignments so that you not only learn from doing them, but are able to submit work that you can be proud of, which in turn will build your confidence. For ESL students, I know how difficult it is to learn English, and I know how scary it can be to practice with English-speaking people. But if you don't practice, it will take much longer for you to reach fluency. Even if you don't have classes with assignments to complete, I can hold speaking sessions where we simply have conversations that allow you to practice speaking, but also provide the opportunity for you to receive feedback and helpful tips to improve.
I have a Bachelor's and Master's in English. My BA has an emphasis on Language & Discourse, while my MA has an emphasis on TESOL. Because of this, I am qualified to teach both English and ESL subject material. I have been teaching college since 2014, and have been tutoring high school students for the past several years.
Before becoming a teacher, I worked for a childcare company as a nanny, and eventually a manager. While in grad school, I worked for the Boys & Girls of America Club, teaching elementary school students how to read and write. Because of my experience prior to teaching, I am confident that I can work with people of all ages.
My pronouns are she/her.
While my rates might be higher than others, I am a college professor and have many years of experience. I know what your teachers are looking for, and will assure you submit work that you can be proud of and that will earn a passing grade.
BEFORE YOU BOOK WITH ME:
Please check my availability, as I do not want any lessons to overlap with sessions I hold outside of SuperProf. I am NOT available between the hours of 3pm-5pm PST on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays. For now, those six hours are my only obligation outside of SuperProf, so please book any time outside of those hours, and be mindful of the fact that I am on the west coast, so I run on Pacific Standard Time.
Thank you! :)
Master of Arts in English, Composition & TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) California State University East Bay | Hayward, CA
Bachelor of Arts in English, Language & Discourse
California State University East Bay | Hayward, CA June 2011
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
• Classroom management; confident speaking & teaching in front of large groups.
• Exceptional communication and analytical skills.
• Expert knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Publisher; ability to create professional documents and reports.
• Experience with creating and executing original lesson plans and training-based programs.
• Experience working with adults of all ages, and children ages 5+, including those with mental and/or developmental
• Experience working in diverse college settings and teaching to groups of diverse students (Generation 1.5, International/
Exchange, and students who are first-generation college goers)
• Highly skilled at leading group and collaborative projects or working as a team with a colleague as the leader.
• Extremely organized both on paper and electronically.
• Very detail-oriented with exceptional time-management.
• Substantial amount of experience working productively and honestly in independent, unsupervised settings.
• Exceptional writing skills: rhetorically, creatively, professionally and academically.
Chabot Community College, English Department | Hayward, CA
Adjunct Professor—Transfer & Developmental Level Composition | August 2016 – Present
Chabot Community College, Writing & Reading Across Curriculums (WRAC) | Hayward, CA Professor Tutor | August 2016 – Present
California State University East Bay, American Language Program (ALP) | Hayward, CA Instructor—English as a Second Language (ESL) | June 2015 – December 2017
California State University East Bay, Testing Department | Hayward, CA Writing Skills Test (WST) Reader | August 2015 - December 2019
Los Medanos Community College, English Department | Pittsburg, CA
Adjunct Professor—Transfer & Developmental Level Composition | August 2015 – August 2016
Los Medanos Community College, Center for Academic Support (CAS) | Pittsburg, CA Reading & Writing Consultant | August 2015 – August 2016
California State University East Bay, English Department | Hayward, CA
Graduate Teaching Associate—Basic Composition (English 801 – 803) | September 2014 - Present
OTHER PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE:
College Nannies & Tutors | Danville, CA
Nanny Placement & Family Services Manager | March 2011 – August 2014
Boys & Girls Club | San Lorenzo, CA
Youth Development Coordinator (YDC) | August 2014 – June 2015
Committee Member: ALP Curriculum Committee, CSU East Bay | Fall 2016 – December 2017
• Work as a committee member for ESL program’s brand new curriculum committee, to better understand and improve course curricula in preparation for accreditation
• Fall 2016 focus: assessing how well course textbooks are allowing instructors to meet designation SLOs; creating grading rubrics for Listening & Speaking class presentations
• Winter 2017 focus: assessment best practices for ESL and general teaching; designing of program overall goals and mission statement; creating plans and paperwork for requests to implement change within program; designing program-wide correction keys for Writing classes.
• Spring 2017 focus: continuing work with assessment and understanding how teachers assess their individual grading criteria; preparing course configuration for upcoming quarter to semester conversion
Teacher-Assistant: Writing Skills Test (WST) Workshop, CSU East Bay | Fall 2013 – Spring 2015
• Assist WST Chief Reader with several 4.5-hour workshops as part of a WST Pilot Project through the Provost
• Each workshop helped 50+ students prepare for the WST graduation requirement by teaching them how to compose strong
thesis statements and write on-topic essays
Student Center for Academic Achievement (SCAA) Workshop Presenter, CSU East Bay | February 2014
• Present “The Thesis Theory” with Taejung Ma
o Developed for students struggling with prewriting exercises and composing thesis statements for academic essays at
Teacher-Assistant: English 1001 (Freshman Composition), CSU East Bay | March – June 2014
• Help professor with class of 32 students by grading journals and keeping grade logs, proctoring quizzes, emailing class announcements and helping some students one-on-one outside of class time
PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS
CSU East Bay
• Graduated the Master’s program with a 3.98 grade point average (all A’s and one A-).
College Nannies & Tutors
• RockStarTM Manager (formally “Manager of the Year”) awarded in June 2014 for accomplishments in 2013 fiscal year
• Nominated for Manager of the Year for 2012 fiscal year in June 2013
• Attendance to three national conferences in Minnesota and San Diego, CA
Golden Key International Honour Society | member since April 2015
CATESOL—California Teachers of English to speakers of Other Languages | member since March 2014
I recently completed my Fall semester with Professor Willits. She is fantastic! During our time together, I have advanced in research writing and expanded my vocabulary. I am also more confident in MLA formatting, source integrating, quoting, and summarizing. She gets straight to the point, all while having a positive attitude and enthusiastic tone. I recommend her to anyone that wants to further their writing skills!
I took Professor Willits' English 1 class during my first ever semester of college. Her class was my favorite of all because of how she took the time and effort to help us all out with her comprehensive, step-by-step lessons. Professor Willits was also very understanding, encouraging, and professional. Take her class, you won't regret it!
I had Professor Christine Willits during my Fall 2020 semester and she is a generous and a considerate person. She offers office hours for her students for any questions or help outside of class. She truly cares about her students and is very mindful to those who really need help and gives a friendly smile to the ones that just want to stop by and say hi. These traits don’t cover it all, I could also see that she has a great work ethic as any challenge that approached her would not stop her. She had a technical difficulty that was out of her control, but quickly took action and found a solution. Professor Christine Willits is a unique and skillful candidate that cannot be passed for anyone else.
I definitely recommend Christine! She was my Fall 2020 English professor and did an amazing job. It was my first college English course and I learned better ways of organizing and planning for writing an essay. The topics she made us read were both educational and honestly really interesting. I spoke with her multiple times one on one asking for help on writing and she did a wonderful job giving both critique and ideas. Very kind and easy to talk to!
Professor Willits was the English teacher of my first semester of college( Fall 2020). She is very nice and cares about her students. She explains everything clearly so that you won't get confused. Also, her lessons about writing essays are super helpful!! If you want to improve or try to do your best in your essays, taking Professor Willits' lesson is a good choice.
I had Professor Willits as an English professor for the fall 2020 semester. She's a supportive professor who doesn't put limits on students' creativity but makes sure they are staying within the limits of their theses. She poured a lot of work into supporting students' papers with peer-made supplemental materials, thoroughly taught how to write an effective essay, and offered her time to support many students like myself with the pre-writing processes before writing a final essay.
I was in her ENGL1A class for Fall of 2020. Her class was definitely one of my favorites because it is very straightforward and routine. There are no surprise deadlines or assignments that you would not be notified about. She always answered her emails within 24 hours and will always provide you with enough information. Her assignments always provide more than enough information and is clear about what her expectations are.
Professor Willits was my English professor last Fall. She is definitely one of my best English teachers. She is so dedicated to her lessons and students to provide the best knowledge. Her lessons are also very detailed and you can find the answer or filling the hole in your knowledge through her guidance. Moreover, Professor Willits is really friendly and nice to us, and that contributes to the study environment alots.
There are some educators who naturally teach better than others, and I can assure you that Professor Willits is one of them. Willits was my professor for the Fall of 2020. Coming into my first college English class I was a little nervous, but she helped me to be confident in my writing skills and she taught me how to write intelligent academic essays. She is patient, caring, and goes above and beyond to make sure that her students succeed in their assignments. Not everyone is going to be an English major or a writer but knowing how to be a good writer is apart of life, and she will equip you to do so. I would recommend her to anyone student who needs help with English assignments because she is detailed, kind, and passionate. Society needs more educators like Professor Willits.
Took her for English 1, was fast at responding if I had a question. Gave me great feedback if something was not working or if I was doing something wrong in a paper. Gave great example on what to do and what not to do when writing a paper. I recommend her because she is a fast responder and is willing to help the other person if they are having an issue with something.
ESL lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest vocabulary - english lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, writing comprehension - english lessons for all!
Taking listening comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$30||Not available||$30|
|5 hours||$135||Not available||$150|
|10 hours||$250||Not available||$300|