My degree in Politics, Philosophy, and Economics gives me the unique ability to help my students approach every aspect of the humanities as part of a whole, enabling them to both retain networks of information more easily and grow as critical thinkers. I love the diversity in how my students think, and finding the best way to make learning rewarding for each one. I try to incorporate whatever will get you enthused, and I love learning about your interests in order to make our sessions together fun, productive, and sure to stick in your brain for a very long time! My students never feel like our sessions are dry or boring, and they come away better equipped to use their own minds, be it on an upcoming exam, in the classroom, or elsewhere.
I am a full-time private tutor and academic coach based in NYC. I specialize in writing and social studies for younger students, and in writing, literature, history, and government for students in or approaching college. I support my students in their coursework as well as preparing them to excel on NYSED state tests, Regents, and AP exams. I have worked overseas and in the US with ESL students from international backgrounds, and tutor many ESL and native English-speaking students in need of support with academic language arts and advanced research and essay writing. I hold a BA in Politics, Philosophy & Economics, and I constantly bring that background to bear in providing my students with an integrated approach to the material they’re studying.
I charge per hour I spend with my students, with the rate depending on the amount of preparation I expect to do for our meeting to be the most productive possible, which can vary widely depending on my student's material and goals. I'm happy to give an estimate. I also will offer slightly lower rates for multiple hours spent with a student at a time. The agency I work through charges over $120/hr for me, but my private clients pay in the $60-$80 range.
1. Christian International School of Prague, Prague, Czech Republic
August 2010 – June 2011
ESL Teaching & Administrative Assistant
– Provided support for up to 6 teachers daily, by grading assignments, coordinating and leading field trips into Prague, and teaching subjects from first to fifth grade.
– Tutored 2-4 ESL and learning-disabled students one-on-one, daily.
– Handled attendance records, helped organize school events, and communicated with parents, among other administrative duties.
2. The King’s College, New York, NY
August 2011 – May 2015
Bachelor of Arts in Politics, Philosophy, and Economics
– GPA: 3.8/4.0
– Senior Thesis: “Escaping Curation: Audience vs. Observer In Online Self-Disclosure”
3. Varsity Tutors, New York, NY
January 2016 – May 2017
– Worked one-on-one with students from middle to graduate school to improve coursework, writing, and exam performance, in a wide range of subjects.
4. Tutorverse, New York, NY
January 2017 – Present
History & Economics Tutor
– Works with college and high school students to improve course grades and prepare for course-specific, Regents, and AP exams.
5. Private Academic Tutor, New York, NY
January 2014 – Present
College Prep, Exam, & Application Coach
– Supports college and K -12 students in academic work and exam preparation, with a focus on organization, writing, verbal reasoning, and self-directed learning strategies.
– Designs and implements individualized curriculum and pedagogy to support students’ diverse needs, goals, challenges, and learning styles.
– Guides students through high school and college applications, directing their research process and maximizing their ability to present themselves effectively.
We met Fen originally through an agency. Then Fen moved on to another job and we reconnected again.
She has been working with primarily my three older children, each of whom has varied learning needs- and she works with each one beautifully.
Fen is a rare gem. She brings brilliance fun creativity and dedication to all her lessons. She knows how to teach, and also know to teach kids how to learn. Fen is the best tutor/teacher you could ever find.
Fen truly cares about the success of her students. She gets to know them and what techniques will help them not only reach their academic goals, but that will interest them in the curriculum. Fen to me is my most valuable resource for all my history classes, and personal questions about history and politics. She really knows her stuff, but isn’t afraid to do more research on things she doesn’t know. After seeing her for two years, I am now obsessed with history and politics, and I have a great foundation of knowledge from our frequent sessions. Fen also knows me well enough now to help with my college applications this summer, and is essential to a relaxed and effective process for me.
Fen helped me with writing my college essays several years ago. I couldn’t recommend them more. Their compassionate ear made me feel as if my story was worth telling to college admission boards. Their discerning eye helped me to write it in a compelling way. Thanks to their help, I was accepted into my top choice university.
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest literature lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, essay writing lessons for all!
Taking english literature lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$70||$40|