My goal is to not only help students with their writing, but to prepare them for both their academic and career paths as well. I seek to mentor students with their writing with the full understand that writing isn't easy for many people and can often times cause a great deal of anxiety. I understand that, and I think my many years of experience -- not only teaching college students, but also a career in the military, has helped me gain a trust with my students, which has allowed me to become very approachable and comfortable for my students.
I have been an instructor of English for 13 years. I have taught all levels of College Freshman Composition that has also included several years of high school students who have taken college-prep writing courses. I have a Master's Degree in Rhetoric and Composition and Bachelor's Degree in English, and I also have several years of tutoring experience working in a major university's Writing Center.
University of Nevada, Reno M.A. in English (Writing Emphasis)
Professional Essay Title: “Graduating a Generation of Illiterates: How Freshman
Composition Teachers are Failing Their Students”
Graduate Committee: Dr. Mark Waldo (Chair), Dr. Lynda Walsh, Dr. Stephen
Fields of Study: Rhetoric and Composition; Writing Across the
Curriculum; Curriculum, Teaching, and Learning;
University of Nevada, Reno B.A. in English (Writing) with a Minor in Literature
Fields of Study: Creative Non-Fiction Writing; Renaissance Literature;
British Literature; Children’s Literature; Literary
Criticism and Theory
Truckee Meadows Community College
2010;2015-2021: English 102: Composition II
2011-2020: English 101: Composition I
2008-2013: English 098: Preparatory Composition.
Western Nevada College
2017-2019; 2021: English 102: Composition II
2018: English 099: Basic Writing Strategies
2016-2017: English 101: Composition I
University of Nevada, Reno
2010: English 101: Composition I
2009: English 098: Preparatory Composition.
2007-2008 Writing Center Tutor
College Committee and Service
Member: Part-Time Issues Committee, Truckee Meadows Community College (2011-Present)
• The committee recommends policies on part-time faculty issues, such as hiring and retention, compensation, benefits, support, training, and integration with the existing full-time academic faculty. As a member, I like to provide perspective from an active part-time instructor’s point of view and share concerns or questions that we have relating to part-time faculty issues.
Assessment: Truckee Meadows Community College – ENG 098 (Jan 2018)
Assessment: Western Nevada College – ENG 101 (Jan 2018)
Assessment: Truckee Meadows Community College – ENG 101 (Jan 2014)
• Participated and engaged in course assessments that ensured that not only were my colleagues grading the same types of assignments consistently, but as a part-time instructor, I was able to ensure that my curricula and grading was on the same page as the rest of the English department.
Training, Certificates, and Awards
Truckee Meadows Community College: Part-Time Instructor of the Month (Nov 2020)
Professional Development: Advanced Canvas Training (Fall 2017)
Professional Development: Beginning/Advanced Prezi Training (Fall 2013)
Professional Development: “Part-Time” Certificate (Spring 2014)
Member: National Council of Teachers of English (2009-Present)
Member: Modern Language Association (2010-Present)
Member: Nevada System of Higher Education (2010-Present)
Member: College Composition and Communication (2013-Present)
Prior Work Experience:
1999-2000: AirFlash, Inc., Saratoga, CA
Windows NT/2000 Network Administrator.
• Coordinated purchases of over $500,000 in networking, engineering, and monitoring equipment.
• Established confidential “finance” network.
• Provided desktop support to over 100 workstations running various OSs including Linux, Windows XP/2000/Me/NT/98.
• Provided support to over 20 UNIX- and Linux-based Servers.
• Provided support to early GPS technology cellular telephone system.
• Certified Dell Dimension/Optiplex Technician (Apr 00).
1998-1999: U.S. Air Force, Moffett Federal Air Field,
Mountain View, CA
Windows NT Network Administrator.
• Directed the migration of entire military installation to new networking system.
• Established secure e-mail system supporting nearly 1000 1000 military personnel.
• Managed Information Processing Center (IPC).
• Managed Communication (Comm) Center responsible for high volume sensitive message traffic, and its data security.
• Supervised a team of both Air Force and Air National Guard troops.
• Sun/Solaris Firewall Management/Administration Training (Jul 99).
• Awarded Air Force Commendation Medal.
• Top Secret/SBI security clearance.
1992-1998: U.S. Air Force, Moffett Federal Air Field,
Mountain View, CA
Banyan VINES Network Administrator
• Assisted in installation and configuration of 600-workstation Local Area Network.
• Established Internet access using protocols such as TCP/IP.
• Launched Base-wide Help Desk.
• Supervised full-time Air Force member and team of Air National Guard personnel.
• Remedy Help Desk Solutions Training (Nov 98).
• Awarded Air Force Achievement Medal.
1988-1992: U.S. Air Force, Moffett Federal Air Field,
Mountain View, CA
Computer Operations Supervisor
• Managed large Data Processing Center (DPC).
• Responsible for processing of all print aspects of military data, such as payroll information, medical records, and flight records.
• Maintained magnetic data tape library.
• Supervised team of Air National Guard personnel.
• Air Force Leadership and Management School (Honor Graduate – Feb 92).
1985-1988: U.S. Air Force, Vandenberg Air Force Base
Sperry / Unisys Systems Analyst
• Responsible for several military data processing programs.
• Managed large magnetic tape library and implemented on-line tape database (TIMS).
• Involved in migration from Burroughs B3500 mainframe system to Sperry/Unisys 1100/90.
• Database Manager (1987-88).
• Unisys Database Manager School (1987).
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest essay writing lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, literacy lessons for all!
Taking rhetoric lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|