In the sciences, I think it's most import that the client is the one who drives forward a tutoring session. Through this, the client can gain the philosophical and conceptual understanding required for success in a science subject. For this reason I prefer to aid in a guided inquiry and help my clients grow to understand the material themselves, and also give them to tools and skill to later set them up for independent success.
I am a Biochemistry major, but I have experience tutoring in a number of subjects in the natural sciences and also in Spanish. Additionally, I have much experience with tutoring as I have been a volunteer tutor here at UVA for 3 years and now run the program.
University of Virginia August 2017-May 2021 (Expected)
B.S. Chemistry, Specialization in Biochemistry
Minor in Spanish
GPA: 3.95/ 4.0
Dean’s List (2017, 2018), Lester Andrews Undergraduate Research Scholarship (2019), Intermediate Honors (2019), The Raven Society (2020)
• Microsoft Office and familiar with MATLAB
• Highly proficient in written and oral Spanish
Undergraduate Research Assistant
The Gahlmann Laboratory—University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA November 2018-Present
• Chemical research that uses super-resolution microscopy to study protein motion and assembly to elucidate the mechanisms by which bacteria attack host cells
• Conducts routine cell inoculation, experiment design, PCR, preparation of solutions, DNA cloning, DNA purification, primer design, protein purification, homologous recombination, and protein expression amongst other experiments
• Co-leader of project that seeks to use an unnatural amino acid to fluorescently tag and track bacterial proteins in vivo. Engaged with literature and co-designed novel unnatural amino acid system that will begin experimentation and optimization over the next academic year
• Over 700 hours of research experience across the wet lab, group laboratory meetings, reading literature, and analyzing data; great familiarity with work within the context of a research laboratory
The Virginian Restaurant Company—Charlottesville, VA August 2018-Present
• Committed to providing helpful, quick and accurate service to patrons while working in unison with team members. Demonstrate active listening and communication skills to ensure patrons have an exceptional experience
Volunteering and Leadership Experience
Program Director and Tutor
Madison House and Upward Bound—Charlottesville, VA August 2018-Present
• Undergraduate director of tutoring program that matches local high school students with University of Virginia undergraduates
• Manages and trains a group of 10+ students and collaborates with Upward Bound to arrange quality weekly tutoring sessions in a wide array of topics
• Personally participates in tutoring in Chemistry, Biology, Math, Physics, and Spanish
Vice-President of IFC Outreach and Facilitator
One Love Club—University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA April 2017-Present
• Leads presentations and workshops to college and high school audiences that discuss relationship violence, particularly in the context of college
• Communicates with IFC chapters to schedule workshops and coordinates with club members to ensure the most meaningful experience for both the workshop leaders and the audience
• On executive board of club with 50+ members and aids in fundraising and club management
mathematics lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest chemistry lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, natural sciences lessons for all!
Taking calculus lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$13||$13|