I am a graduate of the school of visual arts and university of new England. I possess a bachelors in fine arts and art history, and a master's degree in the science of elementary education. I have been teach in New York Department of education for about 18 years through a grant and curriculum that teaches subject areas through the arts. Students learning styles and giving focused individualized attention and strategies are the foremost of my approach to ensure student engagement and success. My lesson structure begins with evaluation of the issue, goal setting together, communication about the way to obtain the most positive response of the student. The we begin the lesson using creative ways for the student to comprehend the material. The end of the session is a debrief and celebration of meeting goals, as talking about what the next steps will be.
I am creative, understanding, insightful, relatable, personable, patient and encouraging as a teacher. I invest deepy with the process of bringing my student into a place of confidence and success.
I have been giving lessons over 18 years through the school system summer camps, and private tutoring.I have taught over 2,00 students, since I have been teaching for many years with very large schools. My students, especially those who struggled to achieve the expectations of their academic classrooms, have found a great deal of success in mine, due to my integration of hands on learning projects that connect to the topic and allowing expressive arts such as theater, dance, creative writing, visual and media tools, and other vehicles that capture the attention of students.
Rates may increase depending on distance traveled to the home
Education and Teacher Certifications:
NYS and NYC DOE Permanent Teaching License
School of Visual Arts / B.F.A. - 5/94 Certificate in Art Education K-12 - 12/96
University of New England - Masters of Science in Education 5/04
Tutor-Ongoing, private, various locations
• Tutor students k-12 Reading, Writing, Language Arts, American and European History, Homework help, and Test Prep
• Tutor college students in research, essay and paper writing, literature, poetry, and creative writing; all humanities subjects
• Improve student’s organizational skills through notebooks, color coding, visual markers, checklists, timers, smaller sub tasks, and self- monitoring
• Design individualized strategies, techniques, creative learning tools and approaches to meet specific needs and learning styles of students
• Incorporate goal setting and assessments throughout sessions
Visual Arts Teacher NYCDOE :Goldie Maple Academy 9/15 -
• Enabled students to explore and gain mastery in a diversity of materials, mediums, and techniques in both 2 and 3 dimensional art forms; illustration, cultural crafts, sculptures.
• Developed engaging lessons that encouraged a classroom environment of creativity, imagination, acceptance, and expression of individual ideas.
• Planned instruction to address the interests, cultural backgrounds, and developmental needs of elementary and middle school students.
• Partnered with students to create dynamic and eye catching displays and shows.
• Prepared and implemented multi –disciplinary and cross-curriculum unit lesson plans in all subjects grades prek-8.
• Incorporate traditional text for students to deepen understandings about the life, work, and influence of artists, art history, art vocabulary, and art forms.
• Used questioning strategies to develop analytical, higher order thinking to explain ideas and concepts when looking at and interpreting art.
• Facilitated student- led discussion and questioning to exercise critical thinking skills, content knowledge, and citing evidence to support ideas, and accountable talk.
• Prepared lessons to include instructional goals and outcomes across grade levels k-8.
• Included a diversity of assessment tools self, peer, and teacher both formal and informal to help students recognize and articulate strengths and weaknesses.
• Designed student friendly rubrics for achievable completion of goals.
• Included differentiation and small group instruction to address the skill levels unique creativity of each student. Set goals to challenge and bring growth.
• Adapted and improved instructional practices based on administrative feedback.
• Volunteered as UFT delegate, Union representative, joined Prose and school leadership team, communicated with staff and administrators about school issues, successful at finding resolutions to improve school community.
• Art Director for all school productions - Career and College Week, Anti-Bullying…
Visual Arts Teacher Nycdoe:PS/IS 124 Osmond Church 9/98-6/15
• Provide instruction in a variety of mediums and techniques in illustration, painting, portraiture, still life drawing, print making, clay, mosaic, weaving, sewing, collage, murals
• Developed student vocabulary in response to painting, sculpture, and architecture; employed arts of diverse world cultures and art movements in curriculum design.
• Applied current educational strategies to suit diverse learning styles; visual motivators, cooperative learning groups, graphic organizers, to engage students in active learning.
• Partnered with teachers to coordinate art activities to grade learning objectives; designed lesson plans linking art to mathematics, science, history, and language arts.
• Promoted student growth, confidence, and self- esteem through success in the arts .
• Measured progress on through assessment portfolios and specific project rubrics.
• Responsible for spending budget allocations for art supplies, researched and hired art residencies, appointed cultural institutions for school shows.
• Coordinated bulletin board displays of student work containing written account of process, posting of relevant art standards, vocabulary, and artists.
• Designed relevant curriculum for middle school students social, emotional, and intellectual development including modifications for diverse abilities.
• Facilitated opportunities for students to discuss their work in community setting
• Assisted students in preparation of portfolio acceptance in specialized high schools.
• Director and curator of projects and displays across multiple grades for yearly school wide “Core Expo” exhibit and featuring art celebrating students exemplary work.
Volunteerism and Community Building:
Bobbi and the Strays- Ongoing
• Assist in socializing animals for adoption eligibility, foster sick animals, help with emergency animal events.
Legacy Center Bushwick NY Ongoing
• Initiated and planned a community service partnership for 4 classes of middle school students to prepare donations for outreach; arranged buses, coordinated schedules, follow up writing activities.
• Organized coat and clothing drive for low income families and victims of house fires.
• Design displays and signs for events.
• Research grants.
• Piloting all ages art program, design and teach art classes and workshops for positive community building, at risk youth intervention
PS 124 South Ozone Park NY 2000-2015
• Aligned curriculum to NYS Learning Standards for the Arts, Blueprint for the Arts.
• Illustrated and painted life size murals (New York Cares Day).
• Coordinated student volunteers in community mural painting
• Provided safe haven supportive environment during lunch hours for isolated and bullied students; engaged students in peer conflict resolutionDesigned wall mosaic for student group(September 11 Grant).
• Assisted student council decision making for fund raising, decorations for school events.
• Initiated and organized partnership with Legacy Center; coordinated trips for middle school students to participate in community service.
• Assisted and managed National Junior Honor Society with food, coat, and used clothing drive, coordinated teams to promote events and fund raisers.
• Core Knowledge Expo Director and Primary Curator.
I would recommend Frieda without reservation. I have had the opportunity to collaborate with her on many STEAM AND STEM projects . She is creative, hardworking and students learn to express their self artistically and have a deeper understanding of art concepts in theory and in practice. Her ability, expertise and willingness to explore various mediums surpass what all other art teachers are doing. Her work can only be described as cutting edge and innovative. She would be an asset to any learning community. It is my highest privilege to recommend her. She is one of the most trustworthy people I have ever met on top of all of the qualities mentioned above. She truly CARES!!
Frieda is not only highly trustworthy and full of integrity, she is also dedicated to the creative and effective education of young people. She's engaging and fun, helping people learn in a way that's interesting to them. Frieda taught me to how to think outside the box and engage my creativity. She would be an excellent choice for a teacher.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|