My teaching methods primarily use the target language to convey vocabulary and grammar. This audio, written and oral form of teaching imitates a child's early stage of language learning, avoiding translation from English. English is applied only to explain difficult grammar structures.
I have a Master's Degree in French. I have professionally taught foreign languages, interspersed with my government career, ranging from students in college classes to home-schoolers. Upon completion the students successfully read, wrote and conversed in the basic language.
My rates will vary according to the distance of travel. My cancellation policy is 24 hour notice.
• Professional foreign language teaching experience distributed over a period of 30 years.
• Taught three foreign languages (French, Italian and Spanish) and English as a second language to a wide variety of students interspersed with my Army and government careers
• Used professionally and maintained fluency in French (DLPT L3, R3), Polish (DLPT L3, R3), Spanish (DLPT L3, R3) and Italian (DLPT L3, R3) for over 40 years.
• Extensive in-country language use experience while living abroad in Europe, Mexico, Central and South America
• Served as US Army Reserve Attache in Warsaw, Poland for over 15 years and further provided US Defense Attache Office support in Riga, Latvia.
• Over 25 years experience collecting and processing intelligence information supporting theater and national-level operations
• Basic knowledge of Windows, Microsoft Office, Internet and Email. Able to quickly learn additional computer programs/applications.
2015-2016 Foreign Language Instructor of Spanish and English, Academy of Social Sciences (SAN) Cracow, Poland; enabled three classes of over 48 Polish, Ukrainian, Georgian and Kazakhstani students to communicate in basic Spanish and advanced English after two semesters of language instruction.
2015-2018 Translator/Editor 140 page book from Polish to English for 1st Edition Publication; translation introduces new biological and physiological information to the US market.
2006-2007 French Team Teacher to a group of 8th grade-school level home-schoolers, resulting in their ability to conduct a basic conversation.
1973-1975 Foreign Language Instructor, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, prepared classes of 16 freshmen and sophomores to successfully read, write and converse in basic French and Italian upon the completion of one semester.
Military Experience Highlights of Language Training Responsibilities
2006-2007 Commander, 1st USAR Linguist Unit (RTU), Alexandria, VA, At the Command Language Program Managers’ Seminar in Monterey, California I promoted the 1st USARLU at the national level as the model for language training and maintenance for Army reservists scattered world-wide. The opportunities for real-world language missions increased exponentially as a result.
1992-2006 Staff Officer/Linguist, 1st USAR Linguist Unit (RTU), served as interpreter/translator in French and Polish for several high level DIA missions; as a linguist passed the Defense Language Proficiency Tests in, French, Polish, Italian and Spanish, in a two-week period, exceeding the DA language proficiency standards (3/3) for a non-native speaker.
2003-2005 Military Liaison Officer, DIA, Washington, D.C. During the Operations NOBLE EAGLE, ENDURING FREEDOM, and IRAQI FREEDOM I developed an educational program allowing reservists to receive on-site language training and fulfill DIA’s critical mission requirements.
1990-1992 Commander, Polish Language Section, 1st USAR Linguist Unit (RTU) Recruited Polish-speaking reservists; managed linguists’ proficiency with volunteer instructors, and procurement of books and training materials. Arranged for one of the most prominent Polish language professors from the Foreign Service Institute to teach an introduction to the Polish language to the entire staff and USARLU Headquarters resulting in near native pronunciation.
1989-1990 Commander, French Language Section,1st USAR Linguist Unit (RTU) With minimal guidance, tripled the French Section in strength, conducting language classes in-house and providing the first ever linguist support to other commands and agencies.
• US Army Command and General Staff College, Dover, Delaware and Norfolk, Virginia 1994-1995
• Master of Arts, French Language/Literature, University of Wisconsin-Madison, November 1974
• Bachelor of Arts, French Language/Literature (Major), Spanish Language/Literature (Minor), John Carroll University, Cleveland, Ohio, June 1973 (GPA: 3.98, Dean’s List)
• Diploma de Cultura Espanola, University of Madrid, Spain June-August 1972
• Diplome de Langue et Civilisation Francaises, University of Paris IV Sorbonne, France, October 1971-June 1972
• Study abroad in Spanish Language and Literature, Instituto Tecnologico de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey (ITESM), Mexico, June-August 1971
2006-2007; 1973-74 - Conducted team teaching in French, Spanish and Italian from the university graduate level down to elementary grade home-schoolers as well as multi-cultural education and program development;
1974 Played the major role of Elmire in Moliere’s Tartuffe in the University of Wisconsin French Little Theater.
1983-84 Founded a community theatre and directed the play Becket by Jean Anouilh, Laurel, Maryland
Federal Interagency Language Roundtable, Washington, D.C.
Polish Institute of Arts and Sciences of America, New York, N.Y.
Anna Maria is a gifted linguist and teacher with excellent teaching credentials and experience. Any student seeking French lessons would be fortunate to have her as their tutor. I highly recommend her!
french lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral comprehension - french lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, writing comprehension - french lessons for all!
Taking vocabulary - french lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$30||$30||Not available|
|5 hours||$120||$120||Not available|
|10 hours||$250||$250||Not available|