My teaching approach is to provide a safe and effective learning environment where students are not afraid to ask questions and tackle concepts that haven’t fully mastered yet.
I provide scaffolding to ensure that my students are able to grasp a concept and solve problems on their own. I act more as a guide than a lecturer by helping students discover answers independently.
My 10+ years of teaching and tutoring experience has enabled me to work with a wide range of learning styles and skill levels. I provide a fun, upbeat, and most importantly, effective environment in which all of my students can thrive.
I have a M.Ed. from George Mason’s Graduate School of Education, with an endorsement in mathematics at the secondary level. I also have a B.A. in mathematics from Franklin and Marshall College.
I have 2 years of math teaching experience at Woodrow Wilson High School, a DC public school. At Wilson I taught algebra 2, trigonometry, and probability & statistics to mainstream high school students.
I have 5 years of math teaching experience at the Melvin J. Berman Hebrew Academy, a modern orthodox school in Rockville, where I taught a variety of math classes, including algebra, geometry, statistics, and pre-calculus, to high school students with special needs, such as ADHD and Asperger’s syndrome. I also served as an instructional assistant, helping special needs students succeed in mainstream classes.
I have 4 years of math tutoring experience at PowerScore, an organization dedicated to improving standardized test scores. At PowerScore I taught 16 hour weekend courses to classes of ten to twenty students for improving Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT) scores and also tutored students one-on-one to improve GMAT scores.
Masters of Education in Secondary Education, Mathematics Fairfax, VA
George Mason University December 2011
Bachelor of Arts in Mathematics Lancaster, PA
Franklin & Marshall College May 1999
WOODROW WILSON HIGH SCHOOL (DCPS) Washington, DC
Math Teacher January 2017-June 2019
• Taught algebra 2 and probability & statistics to mainstream high school students
SULAM, MELVIN J. BERMAN HEBREW ACADEMY Rockville, MD
Special Education Teacher August 2012 – January 2017
• Taught a variety of math classes, including algebra, geometry, statistics, and pre-calculus, to high school students with special needs, such as ADHD and Asperger’s syndrome
• Served as an instructional assistant, helping special needs students succeed in mainstream classes
KNOW LIMIT LEARNING SERVICES Fairfax, VA
Math Tutor June 2012 – August 2012
• Tutored students one-on-one in mathematics to prepare them for the upcoming school year
SUBSTITUTE TEACHER FOR FCPS Fairfax, VA January 2011 – March 2012
• Taught at several high schools and middle schools within the Fairfax County Public School system as a short-term substitute teacher
• Taught at an alternative learning center within Bryant High School as a long-term substitute math teacher from April to June of 2011
• Taught five classes of geometry at Madison High School as a long tern substitute math teacher from October to November of 2011
TEACHER INTERN, FAIRFAX HIGH SCHOOL Fairfax, VA
September – December 2010
• Observed two experienced teachers; teaching classes of algebra 2 honors and classes of geometry
• Attended faculty department meeting to learn teaching strategies and gain insight on how to design affective lesson plans
• Created lesson plans for algebra 2 honors and geometry
• Independently taught a four week unit on quadratic equations to three algebra 2 honors classes, and a four week unit on congruent triangles to two geometry classes
• Worked with students after school to remediate concepts they struggled with in class
POWERSCORE Washington, DC
GMAT Instructor 2005 –2008
• Taught 16 hour weekend courses to classes of ten to twenty students for improving Graduate Management Aptitude Test (GMAT) scores
• Tutored students one-on-one to improve GMAT scores
LANDMARK HIGH SCHOOL Prides Crossing, MA
Math Teacher 1999 - 2000
• Taught Algebra and Trigonometry to high school students with language based learning disabilities
• Took responsibility for the safety and well-being of boarding students by working as a residential staff member
• Tutored students in math, as well as other subjects, in one-on-one sessions
• Coached wrestling: Landmark’s wrestling team took first place in their division
TAYLOR COMPANIES Washington, DC
Financial Analyst 2004 –2005
• Researched and gathered financial information on companies being scrutinized by Taylor for potential divestitures, mergers, or acquisitions
MILLIMAN USA Washington, DC
Actuary – Pension Analyst 2003
• Analyzed pension plan documents for companies with under-funded defined contribution plans, as a hired contractor for the Pension Benefit Guarantee Corporation (PBGC)
• Reviewed appeal letters from plan participants and determining, based on plan documents and participant employment history, the benefit entitlement of each participant
NEW ENGLAND FINANCIAL Waltham, MA
Financial Representative 2001 - 2003
• Prospected potential clients through leads and personal referrals
• Marketed and sold the following insurance and investment products:
- Life Insurance, Annuities, Mutual Funds, Disability Income Insurance, Group Insurance, and Long Term Care Insurance
FIDELITY INVESTMENTS Boston, MA
(Through Spherion) 2000
Quotes and Balances Representative
• Handled incoming calls from Fidelity clients
• Provided investors with quotes, balances, and information regarding the performance of equities and mutual funds
• Identified and referred leads to the appropriate departments within Fidelity
SPECIAL SKILLS / AWARDS / STRENGTHS
• Passed the first SOA/CAS actuarial exam
• Proficient in Excel and PowerPoint
• Winner of the 1997 Franklin & Marshall Kershner award for excellence in mathematics
• Competed in NCAA Division I wrestling
mathematics lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, trigonometry lessons for all!
Taking arithmetic lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$50|