Hello, my name is Kulan.
I am a recent graduate of Willamette University's Chemistry Department, with a focus in environmental/analytical chemistry.
I am most equipped for tutoring high school level chemistry (including AP) and introductory chemistry at a college level; although I believe I am also capable of tutoring for most high school level math and physics courses.
My teaching techniques are typically unique and catered to the individual I am working with and their primary educational provider(s). Typically students of mine have a primary educator and my role is to provide a patient, educated resource to help them understand their academic materials and personal learning pathways.
As a teacher, I am focused on finding a dynamic with my students that emphasizes their strengths as a learner and my strengths as a teacher. My general technique is to help my student identify the subject matter they already understand and which components of it that they need further help understanding. Once a baseline of understanding is identified/established, we may build upon it to create longer lasting, foundationally supported understanding of new subject matter.
I have been tutoring in chemistry off and on for approximately 2-3 years now.
I have taught many (>10) students in college level introductory and environmental chemistry and 1 student in high school level chemistry.
My students have generally developed a much deeper understanding and appreciation for the subject matter they are exploring, and typically report increases in both grades and interest in their courses.
For more information, see my CV below.
My rates only change if I must take public transit to my student's location. In this case, I add $2.50 to cover the bus fair.
Bachelor of Science, Willamette University (Salem, OR)
Major: Chemistry, G.P.A. 3.66
Thesis: Quantifying photolytic degradation rates of estrogens in aquatic environments.
Outstanding Leadership in Chemistry (2015)
Chemistry Department Honors (2016)
Employer: Independent Tutoring (employed directly by student's parents)
High School Chemistry Tutor: (January 2015-May 2015)
• Worked with a high school student to increase engagement and conceptual clarity in their coursework.
• Developed a mutually beneficial tutoring strategy that emphasized student’s learning strengths and preferences.
• Partnered with student to successfully raise both their letter grades and interest in chemistry.
Employer: Willamette University ((concealed information)
Introductory Chemistry Tutor: (January 2015-May 2016)
• Individually tutored several students each semester in introductory chemistry theory, especially as it related to classroom assignments and assessments.
• Worked with students to develop their learning and problem-solving skills.
Environmental Chemistry Tutor: (February-May 2016)
• Developed this class’ tutoring program in correspondence with the class professor.
• Acted as an individual and group tutor for environmental chemistry students.
Introductory Chemistry Lab TA: (January 2015-December 2016)
• Facilitated in-lab activity of ~20 students.
• Instructed students on the performance of common lab practices.
• Taught introductory chemistry theory within the context of lab experiments.
mathematics lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest physics lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, chemistry lessons for all!
Taking other sciences lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$18||Not available|