My style of tutoring is very individualistic - each student is different, learning differently, and as such they require a personalized approach. I understand this, and I'm here to help. I am a very friendly and socially inclined guy with a strength in mathematics. Every student - every person - has their strengths. I am here to help build confidence and literacy when it comes to mathematics.
Mathematics is built up very foundationally - a lack of understanding in an area of precalculus, for example, can be rooted in elements of algebra. I will ask each student bring examples and areas that they are need help with, and we can work from a bottom-up approach.
I'm Cole! Mathematics has been a saving grace for me in my academic journey. I've had my own struggles with school throughout life, however math has always come easy for me. While I've figured out study habits and practices to help me excel across disciplines at University of Connecticut and University of Chicago, I maintain my empathy for those who study with mathematics. I believe this empathy allows me to better understand my students and perform as an effective math tutor.
While I was attending University of Connecticut for my undergrad, I volunteered at a charter school in Hartford, CT, where I assisted as an Algebra 2 tutor. Specifically, after a large classroom lesson, I would lead a discussion/working session with a small number of students. Additionally, I worked at my university as a tutor specifically for athletes. These were sometimes group sessions, though often they were individual. In this setting I tutored primarily intermediate level economics courses, noting that it was often the mathematical aspects that puzzled my students.
EDUCATION & HONORS
University of Chicago (Chicago, IL)
M.S. Computational and Applied Mathematics
University of Connecticut (Storrs, CT) - Graduated May 2018
B.A. Applied Mathematical Sciences
Cumulative GPA: 3.6/4.0; Major GPA: 3.95/4.00
Dean’s List – Liberal Arts and Sciences: Fall 2016, Spring 2017, Fall 2017
2017 New England Scholar Award Recipient
WORK & LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE
Nielsen (Wilton, CT) - July 2018 – July 2020
Marketing Effectiveness Analyst
• Performed large scale marketing mix modeling projects decomposing client’s weekly volume
• Identified well performing media tactics and created consulting decks to help clients optimize their execution
• Project cycles provided exposure to data collection, data analysis, iterative modeling, and client presentations
• Led the data collection and processing stage across multiple brands, clients, and agencies
Marine Physical Laboratory (La Jolla, CA) - June 2017 – August 2017
Acoustics Intern Researcher
• Conducted analyses with a team to better understand the acoustic properties of snapping shrimp
• Developed MATLAB code to execute signal-processing operations on large remote data sets
• Improved localization algorithms and investigated signal deviances between day and night times
• Adapted quickly in a fast paced, competitive research environment
Student Athlete Success Program (Mansfield, CT) - January 2017 – May 2018
Academic Tutor/Study Hall Monitor
• Tutored UConn athletes, specifically focusing on 8 mathematics and economics classes
• Allocated rooms to students, mentors, and tutors, meanwhile managing a productive environment
• Reviewed and ensured compliance with all NCAA policies and regulations regarding academic tutors
• Adapted to the varying needs and learning styles of different students
Goldenson Case Study Competition (Mansfield, CT) - Spring 2017 & Spring 2018
Case Study Participant
• Worked on a team of undergraduates on extracurricular projects in the field of Actuarial Science
• Created comprehensive papers, powerpoints, posters, and videos about our research
• Presented our studies as finalists to representatives from various insurance companies
ORGANIZATIONS & VOLUNTEERING
UConn Woodsmen - January 2016 – May 2018
• Improve and support growth amongst peers as a leader in a competitive team environment
• Tracked expenses and allocated budget provided by team competitions and traveling
Achievement First - Spring 2017
• Led a small group of academic tutors at a charter school in Hartford
• Directly improved the performance of students in classes and enhanced SAT scores
SKILLS, ACTIVITIES & INTERESTS
Technical & Programming Experience: Microsoft Office Suite, VBA, MATLAB, Python, Bash, Introductory Java, Introductory SQL, Introductory SAS
Interests: Mathematical Modeling, ECEV Biology, Environmentalism/Sustainability, Quantitative Abstraction
mathematics lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, precalculus & calculus lessons for all!
Taking college / university preparation lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$20||$20|