I incorporate adaptive lessons and group learning experiences to meet the unique needs of students. I believe in developing rapport and building trust, to encourage independence in students. I use multi-sensory teaching techniques in the areas of math and reading. I work 1:1 and in small groups with students on sight word recognition, phonetic awareness, and reading accuracy and fluency.
I have primarily worked with students grades Pre K-8th. I have worked with the Minneapolis School district for 10 years as a paraprofessional. I have worked with students who were non-verbal as well as very high functioning students. Outside of my work with Minneapolis schools, I worked with students K-6 in the areas of reading, math and writing. I devoted my service through Summer Reads Ameri-Corps Vista and tutored children 1:1 in a K-4 school setting.
I am passionate about my students and compassionate towards their struggles.
Cancellation needs to be given 2 hours in advance or full payment of session will be required.
Augsburg College, Minneapolis MN, August 2013-December 2017
Bachelor of Arts in Psychology, Expected completion date Spring 2019
Minneapolis Public Schools, Minneapolis, MN
Special Education Assistant, August 2008 – August 2017
● Worked 1:1 with students with high care, safety, and medical needs.
● Built repoire, developed trust, and encouraged independence to students.
● Employed strategies to improve the development of sensory- and perceptual-motor skills, language, cognition, and memory.
● Worked with teachers to develop and implement plans to meet the unique needs of students.
● Observed and evaluated students' performance, behavior, and social development.
● Tutored and assisted children individually or in small groups to help them master assignments and to reinforce learning concepts presented by teachers.
● Presented subject matter to students under the direction and guidance of teachers, using lectures, discussions, or supervised role-playing methods.
● Assisted in implimenting therapeutic goals such as behavior modification under the supervision of special education instructors, psychologists, or speech-language pathologists.
● Supervised students in classrooms, halls, cafeterias, school yards, and gymnasiums, or on field trips.
Summer Reads Americorp Program, Minneapolis, MN
Reading Tutor, June 2015-August 2015
● Tutored 1:1 with students age 5-10 on basic literacy skills.
● Observed, tested and evaluated students’ academic performance in the areas of literacy and phonetics.
● Planned and taught reading lessons with students daily.
● Researched and implimented the cornerstone project around multisensory teaching with the Minnesota Literacy Council and Summer Reads.
Summit Fiscal Agency, Minneapolis, MN
Personal Care Attendant, June 2013-present
● Provided on site individual care and support for a fourteen year old client with autism and mild cognitive delay.
● Assisted in household cares and cooking.
● Worked with client on personal cares, social skills, and behavior management.
● Participated in social activities with client.
● Supported client in the community and at home with personal responsibilities.
● Provided transportation to and from activities and appointments.
Fraser Inc, Minneapolis, MN
Direct Support Specialist, Apr 2010 –September 2013
● Direct Support Specialist for a child with special needs from the ages of 5-7
● Assisted client with appropriate boundaries and physical stability to create a safe environment for client.
● Organized recreational activities, such as arts and crafts, sensory play, walks, and other outings. Met regularly with parents to discuss client's activities and any concerns.
● Helped prepare and serve nutritionally balanced meals and snacks, assisted client with cares such as bathing, toileting, and transfers. Performed first aid, CPR and seizure care when required.
● Kept records on client including daily observations and information about activities, meals served, and medications administered.
● Certified in CPR, First Aid, Crisis Intervention and seizure care
● Have worked with all ages (infant-adult) with many unique special needs, including neurodegenerative disorders, Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, autism, and various emotional behavior disorders and cognitive delays.
● Gained invaluable knowledge through working with speech pathologists, occupational and physical therapists, attended seminars and trainings.
● Skilled in Microsoft Office, recording and logging observations and developing treatment/education plans.
● Embodies compassion and empathy when working with young children, especially those with special needs.
● Ability to respond calm and collected under pressure
academic help for reading lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest special needs - adhd lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, special needs - autism lessons for all!
Taking special needs - dyslexia lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|