I have been teaching for more than 30 years. I've taught many different classes in English literature and ESL. Primarily, I have worked with high school students and adults, both as a tutor and a classroom teacher. I work hard to engage the student(s), making them feel comfortable and the right amount of challenge. I am very organized and make sure the class is varied and never boring.
I have been teaching for over 30 years and have touched the lives of hundreds of students. Students have improved in all their English skills, especially writing. I have been focusing the past several years on preparing for college writing.
8/15 – present Trefz Corporation, Bridgeport, CT
- Teaching English for Specific Purposes to management. Instruction is both face-to-face and virtual.
8/13 – 2/15 International English Language Testing System (IELTS), New Haven, CT
- Evaluate writing and speaking skills of both international and domestic applicants
8/09 – present Housatonic Community College, Bridgeport, Connecticut
- Prepare ESL students for college entry in a 6-credit combined skills course where 60% of the course is academic writing.
- Portfolio development and assessment.
8/08 – 6/16 University of Bridgeport, Bridgeport, Connecticut
ESL Instructor, Developmental English professor
- Instruct international students in academic English
- Writing instruction with the focus on a research paper and an emphasis on APA format, plagiarism, paraphrasing and summarizing.
- Test and curriculum design
- Develop and instruct staff in instructional computer applications
- Designed and implemented a summer ESL program
9/09 – 6/12 Oxford Seminars, Ontario, Canada
TESOL Teacher Trainer
- Prepare students for ESL positions abroad. Topics include methodology, grammar, and assessment.
- Observe student teaching and providing feedback.
3/07 – 8/08 Charter Oak State College, New Britain, Connecticut
- Evaluation of domestic and international transfer credits
2003-2006 Bridgeport International Academy, Bridgeport, Connecticut
English/ESL Teacher, Academic Counselor, Registrar
- Advised students on credits and courses needed for graduation and college entrance
- Advised students on college courses as Bridgeport International works on a dual credit system
- Scheduled both high school and college courses
- Maintained academic records such as transfer credits, credit analysis (both domestic and international), college credits, graduation requirements, and grades
- Managed the school database
- Advised and trained faculty on issues such as methodology, curriculum, instructional computer applications, classroom management, and textbook assessment
- Assisted in developing school policies and hiring of personnel
- Designed an English literature and ESL content learning curriculum.
- Taught several different literature and ESL courses as well as Spanish and Biology
2002-2003 University of Bridgeport, Bridgeport, CT
Database Manager/ Development
Summer Catalog coordinator/Continuing Education
1994 –2002 Dickens Institute, Montevideo, Uruguay
Teacher trainer, ESL teacher
- Taught ESL teacher trainees courses in methodology, lesson planning, error analysis L1/L2, and classroom dynamics
- Designed a course in Controversial Issues and Error Analysis
- Observed student teaching and provided feedback
- Instructed intermediate and advanced students
- Prepared students for upper intermediate and advanced Cambridge exams and Trinity College oral exams
- Oral examiner for Trinity College Advanced Orals
1995-1996 St. Catherine’s, Montevideo, Uruguay
- Prepared high school students for International Baccalaureate exam in literature
1994-1995 DeutcheSchule, Montevideo, Uruguay
ESL teacher for fifth and sixth grade beginners
1984 – present Private Tutor in English and ESL
2005-2009 Masters in Education with a concentration in English/ESL, University of Bridgeport, Bridgeport, Connecticut
2005 BS in General Science, Excelsior College, Albany, New York
1997 Licentiate in Teaching English as a Second Language, Trinity College, London
1994 Teaching Certificate in Teaching English as a Second Language, Trinity College, London
1974-1977 Environmental Microbiology and Law, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA
SPECIAL SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Bilingual – Spanish/English
Solid knowledge of school databases, WordPerfect, PowerPoint, Access, Excel, electronic grade books, Quicken, Microsoft Money
Professional Development lecturer
Host parent for international high school students
I know for a fact that Colleen is a dedicated, ambitious, caring, and innovative professor. We both work at the same community college, and students are always appreciative of the time and care she dedicates to their learning. Her students are guaranteed to do better leaving her classroom. She is firm, but fun and kind. I would not hesitate to recommend her as one of the best professors out there.
ESL lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest spanish lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, IELTS lessons for all!
Taking TOEFL lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|