- Hourly rate $60
- Response Time 3h
- Number of students 1
Unfortunately, this tutor is unavailable
Fun Denver teacher with Master's Degree & Teaching Certification: Drama, Math, English, College Test Preparation
- at her home
- at your home
About the lesson
I am a fair and kind teacher and coach that believes in engaging and rigorous lessons. I graduated from Vanderbilt University with a B.A. in Theatre and Psychology. I earned a Master's Degree in Educational Theatre from New York University. I am a certified teacher (K-12, Drama) in Colorado and New York. I was an actor and have taken many writing classes from places like NYU and The New School. I wrote and produced content for many years for organizations like Nickelodeon and Girls Incorporated. I also happen to be skilled at math.
I teach, tutor and am a private coach for people ages 5 to 55. I taught in the New York City Public Schools (Drama), for the Princeton Review (tutor and teacher for college test preparation), Denver Public Schools (Drama and other subjects,) Colorado Academy (Drama and other subjects, and I am creating five Performing Arts Summer Programs for Summer 2017), Denver Center for the Performing Arts (Drama Camp teacher,) The Arvada Center for the Arts & Humanities (Acting Teacher for four classes.) I am also a private coach for (concealed information) as well as my own company. I focus on teaching skills and increasing confidence.
EDUCATION and CERTIFICATION
New York University, 2012: M.A. Educational Theatre
Vanderbilt University, 1996: B.A. Theatre and Psychology
➢ Colorado State Teaching License, Drama, K-12, 2015
➢ New York State Teaching License, Theatre Arts, K-12, 2012
Honest Drama (Founder) and (concealed information) 7/2015 to Present
Acting Coach: Stage Acting and Film Acting Coach for all ages Denver, CO & Online
• Coach students on stage and film acting: audition preparation, monologues, scene study, songs, film, TV and commercial work.
Colorado Academy Summer Programs 11/2016 to Present
Teacher Denver, CO
• Design and teach performing arts programs for fifth grade and up: Musical Theatre, Acting Intensive, Improv/Sketch Comedy, etc.
Arvada Center for the Arts and Humanities 6/2016-Present
Acting Teacher Arvada, CO
• Teach Teen Scene Study, Acting and Creative Dramatics, ages 9-12, Basic Acting for Adults and Audition Preparation.
Talent Development 9/2016-Present
Acting Coach for Denver Students Denver, CO
• Teach acting and audition preparation to children five to 18 years old for talent showcases in Los Angeles.
Denver Center for the Performing Arts 6/2016-7/2016
Theatre Teacher, Summer 2016 Camp Denver, CO
• Taught different styles of acting, improvisation, scene study and stage presence to students from K to fifth grade.
Denver Public Schools and Colorado Academy 11/2015-Present
Guest Teacher Denver, CO
• Teach theatre and other subjects in all grades.
Actors’ Academy for the Performing Arts (AAPA) 9/2015-5/2016
Performing Arts Teacher, Private Acting Teacher Denver, CO
• Teach acting classes with an emphasis on devised work. Co-produced two original productions.
Bailey’s Café at P.S. 21: Crispus Attucks School 11/2013-06/2014
After-School Drama Teacher Brooklyn, NY
• Taught monologue and scene writing. Directed dramatic activities for self-expression and ensemble building.
P.S. 250: Williamsburg Magnet School for Communication & Multimedia Arts 10/2012-8/2013
Fulltime Drama Teacher Brooklyn, NY
• Directed, produced and choreographed The Jungle Book with a student cast and crew of 45.
• Created drama curriculum for K-5, taught 500 elementary school students and taught Drama Club.
NEST+m (“Gifted & Talented” Public School) 2/2012-5/2012
Student Teacher, Sixth Grade Drama New York, NY
• Wrote curriculum and directed the class in creating and performing an original play. Taught playwriting, acting, etc.
Berkeley Carroll School 9/2011-12/2011
Student Teacher, Upper and Middle Schools, Theatre Department Brooklyn, NY
• Wrote and taught curriculum for documentary theatre staged reading with advanced acting class.
Princeton Review 1/2002-1//2003
Teacher, Tutor New York, NY
• Taught preparatory classes for the SAT and SSHSAT and NY State teacher certification exams. Tutored SAT students.
WRITING AND PRODUCING FOR DIGITAL PLATFORMS
MTV Networks, Kids and Family Digital, Nickelodeon 12/2005-5/2010
Writer-Producer: Nickelodeon Websites & Audience Outreach Manager (12/2005-1/2007) New York, NY
• Wrote and produced show sites, Kids’ Choice Awards 20-year retrospective and digital marketing campaigns.
Girls Incorporated 8/2002-12/2005
Online Content Coordinator, Online Community Coordinator New York, NY
• Wrote content for Girls Inc. Online launch. Interviewed influential women. Produced GI’s first pod casts.
STAGE and SCREEN: ACTING HIGHLIGHTS
Unpack This Narrator NYU Graduate Showcase, NY, NY
The Dancers Emily All Souls Players, New York
Tony n’ Tina’s Wedding Connie, Roxy Wedding Partnership, Chicago, IL
Aha! Weekly Improv Ensemble Member Bailiwick Repertory, Chicago
The Glass Menagerie Laura Neely Theatre
Reckless Pooty, Dr. Carroll Neely Theatre
The Tao of Steve (SAG) Julie Dir: Jenniphr Goodman, Santa Fe, NM
Four Lane Highway (SAG) Karen Dir: Dylan McCormick, Chatham, NY
Fright Teacher Dir: Hannah Janal, New York, NY
Secret (Music Video) Lead Dir: Cody Dawson, Nashville, TN
DIRECTING, PRODUCING, CHOREOGRAPHY, COSTUME DESIGN, STAGE MANAGEMENT
• "Fairy Tale University," AAPA, Denver. Co-director, producer and creator. 2/ 2016-4/2016
• "Yesterday and Today" Playwriting Festival at Curious Theatre, Denver. Director, Staged Reading. 3/2016-3/2016
• "Twelfth Night" and "Putnam Country 25th Annual Spelling Bee," Colorado Academy, Costume Designer 9/2015-5/2016
• "The Wizard of Oz," AAPA, Denver. Stage manager. 12/2015-1/2016
• "Adventures in MiddleSchoolLand," AAPA, Co-director, producer and creator. 10/2015-12/2015
• "New Voices Summer Playwriting Intensive" at Curious Theatre, Director, Staged Reading. 7/2015-8/2015
• "The Jungle Book" at P.S. 250: Williamsburg Magnet School, Brooklyn, NY. Director, Producer, Choreographer. 3/2013-6/2013
PLAY WRITING & WRITING FOR THE STAGE
• "Unpack This: A Musical Portfolio." Narration Writer, NYU Graduate School Showcase. 2/2012-4/2012
• "Disorder." Playwright, New York. 2/2012-9/2012
• "Bent." Playwright, NYU Steinhardt School Play Festival. 9/2011-9/2011
FREELANCE WRITING AND WRITING FOR DIGITAL PLATFORMS
• 10 years as a Freelance writer for digital platforms and digital marketing. Clients included Procter & Gamble, Pixar, REI and (concealed information). 2005-2015
• "Count On Us." Writer and producer of this film for a New York City film festival. 4/2009-4/2009
• Wrote scripts for "Cooking with Kids" and "Crafts with Kids" videos for (concealed information). 4/2007-4/2009
• Wrote spec scripts for SpongeBob SquarePants and Weeds.
ADDITIONAL TRAINING: HIGHLIGHTS
• Advanced Acting: Works Related to 9/11; Timothy McCracken, Denver Center for the Performing Arts, Denver, CO
• Various dramatic writing courses: NYU, The New School, Media Bistro & Gotham Writers, New York
• Shakespeare (included directing teenagers): Joe Salvatore, NYU
• Playwriting: independent study with graduate school advisor, Joe Salvatore, NYU
• Meisner Technique: Caitlin Hart, Act One Studios, Chicago, IL
• Long Form Improvisation: Armando Diaz, Victory Gardens Theater, Chicago
• Movement and Meditation: Karen Allgire, Cleveland, OH
• Acting for the Camera: Alan Dysart, Nashville, TN
AWARDS & AFFILIATIONS
• John T. McGill Award, Vanderbilt: Student with Outstanding Leadership, Scholarship and Gentle Bearing
• Female Actor Award for contribution to Vanderbilt University Theatre
• SAG-AFTRA, 2004-Present (Taft-Hartley at present)
• Website production, Microsoft Office, HTML, iMovie, Photoshop (proficient), Final Draft, SMART Board applications.
• Writing: Essays, digital content and dramatic writing.
• College Test Preparation, Math, Conversational French, figure skating.
I believe Dana is beyond a trustworthy teacher. Over the past summer I look a class from her. It was an incredible experience and increased my acting skills and confidence in myself. Dana is a great teacher and creates a great connection with her students. I later took some private lessons with Dana to help prepare me for an audition. I have almost never felt more prepared for an audition than I did after practicing with Dana. Overall, Dana is a great person and an even greater teacher to learn acting skills from; I could not more highly recommend her.
Dana has been such a wonderful coach to work with! She's been incredible supportive and not only pushes me to out of my comfort zone but encourages me to be bold. I think training with her is opening and adding more to my actor's toolbox and gives me a great chance at success.
She gives her students 150%! She is very accessible and approachable, dives in outside of the lesson to make sure she is as prepared as possible for each one. My daughter loves her!
She helped prepare my daughter for a difficult acting audition. She provided structured instruction while maintaining a positive and encouraging environment for her. She can quickly identify what needs to be addressed and provides appropriate materials and clear instruction for working at home. I would recommend her with the greatest enthusiasm.
We have been more than happy with Dana as our acting coach for my 9 year-old daughter! She's competent, trustworthy, positive, and well rounded.
View more recommendations
- 5h: $300
- 10h: $600
- + $$10
My lessons are $60 per hour, $45 for 45 minutes or $30 per 30 minutes if the lessons are at my apartment complex, online or at a school within 10 miles of my home. I add an additional $10 for travel to a student's home or a school that is farther than 10 miles from my home.
I offer a sliding scale so please do not hesitate to ask. I believe all students should receive the same level of excellence from their educators.