I'm an innovative and engaging teacher who is well-loved and admired by her students. Not only do I make history fascinating and explain it in a way that students can understand, but I make lifelong connections with my students. Students are better able to comprehend history if they learn why it is significant and how it affects them, so I regularly connect historical events/eras to current events and issues. Lastly, I possess the flexibility and the ability to differentiate. Every student is a unique learner and I adjust my methods to meet the needs of each student.
I have taught in the classroom for eighteen years. Although the majority of my experience is concentrated in grades 9-12, I have also taught at the middle school level. I'm experienced teaching a wide array of courses including Dual Enrollment History. The Dual Enrollment program I taught partnered with Northern Virginia Community College (NVCC) and provided students with the opportunity to earn both high school and college credits. In addition to US History to 1865 and US History from 1865, I also taught Western Civilizations II as an adjunct professor on the NVCC campus. In 2007-2008 I spent ten months as an English teaching assistant in Central France, enabling me to experience living and teaching in another country and allowing me to travel many historical and cultural sites. In 2010, I became a licensed DC tour guide and provided engaging and detailed tours of the nation's memorials, monuments, and sites. I've also served as a private tutor and volunteered at the United States Holocaust Museum. I am a lifelong learner and love history, teaching, and reading.
NYS LICENSED SOCIAL STUDIES EDUCATOR
STATE OF NEW YORK - Permanent Teacher License Social Studies 7-12
STATE OF VIRGINIA Postgraduate Professional License History and Social Sciences
SUMMARY - Dynamic social studies educator that excels at connecting with students by cultivating relationships and bringing history alive. Innovative and passionate, honored by the Future Educators of America with their nomination for the Washington Post Teacher of the year award.
Collaborative leader with experience teaching in various settings, including college and abroad.
MASTER OF ARTS IN HISTORY - SUNY Brockport August 2005
BACHELOR OF ARTS IN SOCIAL STUDIES SECONDARY EDUCATION - SUNY Fredonia May 2000
GEORGE MASON HIGH SCHOOL | SOCIAL STUDIES TEACHER SEP 2012 - PRESENT | FALLS CHURCH CITY, VA
• Piloted and expanded the Dual Enrollment History Program.
• Guided students through the historical research paper process, teaching them analysis, synthesis, source
interpretation and research skills.
• Served on the Digital Learning Team and assisted in the planning, roll out, and implementation of the one-
to-one device program.
• Developed critical thinking skills with students through analysis of primary source documents.
• Developed MYP curriculum for World History and Civilizations classes.
• Committed to history education and sponsored Model UN and the National History Club.
NORTHERN VIRGINIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE | ADJUNCT PROFESSOR | MAR 2012 – JUNE 2019| ANNANDALE, VA
• Planned lessons and lectures for Western Civilizations II (HIS 102).
• Served as Dual Enrollment instructor and developed lessons for HIS 121 and HIS 122.
RIO COMMUNITY SCHOOL DISTRICT | MIDDLE/HIGH SCHOOL SOCIAL STUDIES | SEP 2008 – DEC 2010 | RIO, WI
• Served on school leadership team.
• Collaborated with special education teachers to meet the needs of diverse learners.
• Coached Girls Varsity Volleyball.
MARION JR/SR HIGH SCHOOL | SOCIAL STUDIES TEACHER AUG. 2001 - AUG 2007 | MARION, NY
• Taught writing skills and regularly practiced DBQ and Thematic essays.
• Established rapport with students and parents, and focused communication on sharing the successes of
• Piloted Senior Exit Project.
• Sponsored Model UN and Masterminds.
• Coached Girls Varsity Volleyball and Softball.
OTHER RELATED EXPERIENCE
GUIDE SERVICE OF WASHINGTON | LICENSED DC TOUR GUIDE | DEC 2010 – FEB 2012 | WASHINGTON, DC
• Conducted large group bus and walking tours of Washington DC’s historic sites and its environs and
provided personalized tours based on the school/community location and group’s interests.
LYCÉE GENEVIÊVE VINCENT | ENGLISH TEACHING ASSISTANT | SEP 2007
– MAY 2008 |COMMENTRY, FRANCE
• Created lessons and activities for French high school students to facilitate growth in their understanding of American culture and spoken English.
WASHINGTON POST TEACHER OF THE YEAR NOMINEE - Jan 2016
SCHOLAR’S DAY PRESENTER SUNY Brockport - Spring 2003, Spring 2004
THINK TANK ON GLOBAL EDUCATION Harvard Graduate School of Education | Fernando Reimers | Harvard University | May 2018
GILDER LEHRMAN INSTITUTE OF AMERICAN HISTORY Immigrants in American History | Dr. Mae Ngai | Columbia University | July 2017
GILDER LEHRMAN INSTITUTE OF AMERICAN HISTORY Reconstruction | Dr. Eric Foner | Columbia University | July 2016
TEACHER OF THE YEAR NOMINATION STATEMENTS OF SUPPORT
“History comes to life in Tracey’s classroom and her lessons spill into the hallway and travel home on the lips and minds of her students.” TB, GMHS Principal
“She taught us the terrible parts of history in the most moving and honest ways, allowing us to truly understand what it was like.” CW, GMHS Class of 2016
“If there is one word to describe Tracey’s strategy in teaching, it would be creativity...As the Future Educators of America club, we believe she embodies what it means to be an outstanding educator.” Future Educators of America Club GMHS
history lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest general knowledge lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, college / university preparation lessons for all!
Taking social studies lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|