. During a general math lesson I group my students and give them a question to answer that is the basis of what is being taught for the day. I allow them to work together to try and solve it. Having them collaborate to complete a task is beneficial because it allows them to learn from and with each other. During this time, I observe groups; taking note of misconceptions, strategies, and other important factors to address when completing my instruction. Once complete, I would pull the class together for whole group and provide my modeling piece. It is here that I provide explicit skill instruction; verbally thinking through the problem, explaining my reasoning, evaluating evidence, while my addressing observations and generating hypothesis. I essentially teach my students how to reason and think abstractly and quantitatively.
I have completed my Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education and Masters of Arts degree in Mathematics Education. I have successfully completed the General Knowledge, Professional, Elementary K-6, Middle Grades Math 5-9, and Math 6-12 portions of the Florida Teacher Certification Exam (FTCE). Over the last 3 years I have worked at Legends Academy Charter School - which is in the heart of one of Orlando’s most economically challenged neighborhoods - as a Mathematics Teacher. During my tenure at Legends Academy Charter I have personally created and curated my own instructional maps, lesson plans, teaching material, and assessments. My knowledge and the tenacity of my students has resulted most recently with 10 of my 29 eighth grade students scoring a level 5 on the grade level math FSA in 2019. Three students received a level 4. Overall, my eighth grade passage percentage was 69%, compared to 46% for the state and 36% for Orange County.
Aug 2005 - Dec 2011 Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University - Tallahassee, FL
Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
Major: Elementary Education
May 2015 – Dec 2017 Western Governors University - Salt Lake City, UT
Master of Arts (M.A.)
Major: Mathematics Education
Aug 2012 - June 2014 Volusia County Schools - De Land, FL
Edith I. Starke Elementary
3rd Grade Teacher (Full-time)
Aug 2014 - Apr 2015 Orange County Public Schools - Orlando, FL
Kaley Elementary School
3rd Grade Teacher (Full-time)
Aug 2015 – June 2016 AMIkids Orlando - Orlando, FL
6-12 Grade Mathematics Teacher (Full-time)
Aug 2016 - Present Legends Academy Charter School - Orlando, FL
6 & 7 Grade Mathematics Teacher (Full-time)
• Instruct 7th and 8th grade Mathematics in a departmentalized school.
• Create unit and lesson plans to meet the academic, social, and intellectual needs of students on different learning levels.
• Implement small math groups based on ability (high, med, low).
• Conducted action research on the implementation of reasoning strategies and their effect on student’s ability to decompose math word problems.
• Implement daily social circles and a token economy to manage student behavior.
• Create formative assessments to measure student learning and outcomes.
• Assess student performance through formal and informal measures including anecdotal records, student-teacher conferencing, peer evaluations, student portfolios, teacher-made exams, fluency tests, and monthly summative assessments.
• Rated as a ‘Highly Effective Teacher” by FL Dept. of Education (2018)
mathematics lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, arithmetic lessons for all!
Taking geometry lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$20|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||$100|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||$200|