- Hourly rate $22
- Response Time 2h
Unfortunately, this tutor is unavailable
BA Music graduate gives musicology and music history lessons to all levels in Edinburgh
- at her home
- at your home
About the lesson
Who am I? I'm a Scottish traditional fiddle player, singer and composer, classical violinist and pianist, community music practitioner and music teacher, currently studying for a DipABRSM Teaching Diploma
What are my qualifications? DipABRSM Violin (Pass), Grade 8 Piano (Distinction), AMusTCL Theory and Composition (Pass), Grade 8 Theory (Merit), BA Music (First Class). I am currently studying for a DipABRSM Teaching Diploma.
Where did I receive my musical education? Suzuki violin and piano lessons aged 5-12, City of Edinburgh Music School violin and piano lessons aged 13-17, University of Oxford BA Music 2014-2017
What do I teach? Scottish traditional fiddle, classical violin, classical piano, music theory, musicology
Who do I teach? I give one-to-one instrumental and theory lessons to beginners, intermediates and advanced pupils of all ages. I give musicology lessons to secondary school students studying National 4/5, Higher and Advanced Higher Music. You might want to learn for fun, you might want to sit ABRSM or SQA exams, you might want to refresh your playing ability, you might want to improve a specific technique, you might want to expand your repertoire, you might want to learn by ear, you might want to learn by reading sheet music, you might be a classical musician wanting to explore Scottish traditional music or vice versa, or you might want support with your school academic music exams. Whatever your motivation, I am here to help you.
What is my teaching methodology? I tailor each lesson to suit the needs of each individual student. My teaching method is influenced by my personal experience of learning through the Suzuki method and by the research that I have conducted on the positive impact of music on our mental wellbeing. I value the importance of praise, fun and hard work. Music is an enjoyable activity!
1. I have delivered weekly private tuition since 30 November 2017. My students are thoroughly enjoying their lessons and are improving quickly.
2. I was Volunteer Music Teacher at Tender Talents Magnet School in August-September 2014, a music school for vulnerable children in Kasangati, Uganda. I taught violin and music theory, led choir rehearsals, and founded and conducted Tender Talents Symphony Orchestra. In total, I taught 31 students aged 7-18. By the end of the month, my students were visibly happier and more confident, both in their musical abilities and in their personal lives.
3. I was Assistant Teacher at a Suzuki violin group class for 4-16 year olds in March-October 2012.
4. I was Assistant Teacher at Edinburgh Youth Gaitherin for 9-18 year olds in April 2016.
5. I ran a songwriting session with school pupils at Craigroyston High School in 2014.
6. I helped to facilitate a 9-week songwriting project for people with dementia and their carers in January-March 2016.
Isla is teaching me for few months now. She is super patient, and I like the way she explains things (I am an adult, and only started learning violin now...) I definitely recommend her.
I am Isla's mum, and accompanied her on her first 8 years of violin tuition and her first year of piano tuition, as she learned through the Suzuki method, before she transferred to the City of Edinburgh Music School. Isla knows excellent ways of learning violin and piano and is applying these to teaching others. She is at ease with a variety of of people, from small children to Oxford University professors, and has a natural empathy with those she is teaching. I recommend Isla as a teacher because she will make the lessons fun, will insist on correct posture and holding of the violin and hand posture, and will convey and encourage true musicality.
Isla is good teacher and enjoys teaching music to kids with dedication and passion.
My kids are improving fastly with her.
View more recommendations
- 5h: $110
- 10h: $220