- Hourly rate $39
- Response Time 2h
Unfortunately, this tutor is unavailable
Violin and fiddle lessons from friendly and qualified young teacher in Glasgow
- at your home
About the lesson
Who am I? Hello! I’m Isla Ratcliff, a 22-year-old Scottish traditional fiddle player, singer, composer, classical violinist, classical pianist, community music practitioner and instrumental teacher with a DipABRSM Teaching Diploma with Distinction (90% pass). I am currently in my first year of a 2-year Masters degree in Scottish traditional music at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland while working part-time teaching and gigging.
What do I teach? I teach Scottish traditional fiddle and classical violin.
Who do I teach? I teach individual lessons for children of all abilities and experiences.
Where do I teach? I teach at your house if you live in the West End or City Centre.
What do I charge? First lesson free. Then £25 for 30 mins; £30 for 45 mins; £35 for 1 hour. These prices reflect the fact that I hold a DipABRSM Teaching Diploma with Distinction and are in line with Musicians’ Union recommendations.
- Mother of 8-year-old student after one lesson: ‘We always had to push our daughter to practise, but this week she has been asking me every day if she can please practise violin.’
- 11-year-old student after three lessons: ‘I just wanted to let you know that when I first started violin I hated it, but now I really enjoy it.’
- Mother of 10-year-old student after three lessons: ‘Just wanted to let you know that my daughter performed the first tune you taught her at a school showcase today. She is normally very shy and rarely performs but she got up on stage on her own and was really confident! I am so pleased she is enjoying learning the folk tunes with you.’
- 22-year-old student: ‘Brilliant teacher, very professional and a lovely person.’
- 36-year-old student: ‘Isla has successfully restored my ability to play, and has found a suitable method to myself. She is extremely patient, clear and makes you feel at your ease. I am more than glad to have chosen her as my teacher and I could not recommend her highly enough.’
What is my teaching methodology? I tailor each lesson to suit the needs of each individual student. My teaching method is influenced by my personal experience of learning through the Suzuki method, the research that I have conducted on the positive impact of music on our mental wellbeing, and the teaching methodologies that I learned for my DipABRSM Teaching Diploma. I value the importance of praise, fun and hard work. Music is an enjoyable activity!
I look forward to teaching you!
1. I achieved a DipABRSM Teaching Diploma with Distinction (90% pass) in July 2018.
2. I taught 20 private students in Edinburgh between November 2017 and August 2018. My students thoroughly enjoyed their lessons and improved quickly.
3. I was Assistant Teacher at Edinburgh Youth Gaitherin for 9-18 year olds in April 2016.
4. I was Volunteer Music Teacher at Tender Talents Magnet School in August-September 2014, a music school for vulnerable children in Kasangati, Uganda. I taught violin and music theory, led choir rehearsals, and founded and conducted Tender Talents Symphony Orchestra. In total, I taught 31 students aged 7-18. By the end of the month, my students were visibly happier and more confident, both in their musical abilities and in their personal lives.
5. I was Assistant Teacher at a Suzuki violin group class for 4-16 year olds in March-October 2012.
Isla is teaching me for few months now. She is super patient, and I like the way she explains things (I am an adult, and only started learning violin now...) I definitely recommend her.
I am Isla's mum, and accompanied her on her first 8 years of violin tuition and her first year of piano tuition, as she learned through the Suzuki method, before she transferred to the City of Edinburgh Music School. Isla knows excellent ways of learning violin and piano and is applying these to teaching others. She is at ease with a variety of of people, from small children to Oxford University professors, and has a natural empathy with those she is teaching. I recommend Isla as a teacher because she will make the lessons fun, will insist on correct posture and holding of the violin and hand posture, and will convey and encourage true musicality.
Isla is good teacher and enjoys teaching music to kids with dedication and passion.
My kids are improving fastly with her.
View more recommendations
- 5h: $195
- 10h: $390