My teaching method is very dependent on each individual student. I like to first understand why exactly each student wants to learn English, and then structure my class so that we are practicing the relevant vocabulary for that purpose. I often like to start classes with the grammatical foundation for the day, and then spend class doing exercises practicing that grammatical concept, and having a conversation, within the context of the student's interests and experiences. I believe classes should be enjoyable, with an emphasis put on student expressing themselves.
I have been a tutor for nine years, and specifically an English tutor for 6+ years. I have both had my own private tutoring business and worked for larger companies. Additionally, I have started elementary level English clubs whilst living in Senegal, Mexico and Nicaragua. I am a native English speaker but also speak Spanish, French and Pular (spoken in West Africa). I am professional, organized and enjoy dynamic, engaged classes. Learning should be fun :)
Since the classes are online instead of in person, I have offered a discounted rate for all online classes. I hope that this reasonable rate will make English lessons accessible to students. I believe that all people who truly have an interest in learning English should have the opportunity to, so am sometimes flexible with rates if finances make it difficult for a student to pay.
Keaton S. Scanlon
Warren Wilson College, Asheville, North Carolina May 2018
· B.S. with Honors: Environmental Science, concentrating in Ecological Forestry; Minor: Spanish
· GPA: 3.71/4.0
· Advisor: David Ellum, Ph.D
· Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society
· Senior thesis: Biodiversity Monitoring of Traditional Agroforestry Sites in the Ecuadorian Amazon
· WWC Academic, WWC Sustainability, BB&T, McMillan and Scheetz scholarships, 2018 International Student Award
Universidad Popular Autónoma del Estado de Puebla, Puebla, México August 2018-December 2018
· Worked with the director of the agronomy program (Professor Luis Cabrera Mauleón) on research concerning organic agroforestry practices in the state of Puebla, and the potential to include more medicinal plants into already functioning systems
Global Citizen Year, Kedougou, Senegal August 2013-May 2014
· Fellow and full scholarship recipient. Spent 9 months living in Thiabekaare, Senegal. Efforts were focused on learning local customs, language and creating connections. Started English Club and worked extensively with a women’s community garden initiative.
Tutoring and Teaching Experience
Gables Tutoring, Miami, FL Intermittent employee 2013-2019
Tutoring service focused on homework help, English, SAT prep and general academic tutoring.
ABC Tutoring, Miami, FL 2013-2015
Founder of tutoring service offering academic tutoring to kindergarten all the way through high school
English Club Founder, Senegal
Founder of village English Club meeting daily to
Charles del Mundo: Encuentros Lingisticos, Puebla, Mexico
Employee at Charles Del Mundo, an organizing committee for language exchange and tutoring services in Puebla Mexico.
Inside Out Program, Asheville, North Carolina January 2017-May 2017
· Weekly volunteer co-facilitating college justice studies course at Swannanoa Women’s Correctional Facility
VIP Kid January 2015-present
Employee at online English teaching platform
Kenneth I. Juster Fellowship, Pune, India December 2017-January 2018
· Part of research team focusing on Indian school principal roles and how they contribute to environmental attitudes in schools. Ongoing research is concerning how school systems may create a successful reward model specifically involving elementary-middle school aged students
Warren Wilson College Summer Stipend, Tena Ecuador June 2017-August 2017
· Received prestigious $2000 grant to travel to Tena, Ecuador to conduct senior research. Conducted a biodiversity monitoring project, tracking the difference in biodiversity levels between traditional Kichwa agroforestry systems, virgin forests and conventional agriculture. Lived in Santa Rosa, and studied Kichwa while conducting research.
Kenneth I. Juster Fellowship, Kedougou, Senegal December 2016-January 2017
· Part of three person research team, focusing on microfinance and economic interdependence trends amongst subsistence farmers in rural Senegal. Research specifically focused on women and the potential to make microfinance more accessible to women’s groups. Returned to same village, Thiabekaare.
Davis Project for Peace Grant, Kedougou, Senegal May-August 2016
· $10,000 grant to travel to Senegal to work with women’s group in Pellel, Senegal to implement women’s community garden in small village of Pellel. Whilst there, also worked with locals to implement village latrine systems, wells, water pumps and on developing an individual entrepreneur loan system
Bounty and Soul, Asheville, North Carolina January 2018-May 2018
· Spanish translator and “Latinex” intern for food distribution non-profit organization. Provided pop-up market services for underrepresented communities in Western North Carolina
Stride for Senegal May 2016-August 2016
· Organized cross country bicycle trip (Colorado to Oregon) and 5K run (Florida) raising money for water pump system for Kedougou, Senegal (raised $17,500)
Proficient in Spanish, French and Pular.
Scanlon, K (2018). Biodiversity Monitoring of Traditional Agroforestry Sites in the Ecuadorian Amazon. Harvard University Lab for Entrepreneurship and Development
Scanlon, C, Scanlon K, Scanlon T, (2017). The Influence of Collectivism on Microfinance In Senegal. Comparative Advantage: Stanford University Economic Journal
Scanlon, C, Scanlon K, Scanlon T, (2017). The Influence of Collectivism on Microfinance In Senegal. Issues in Political Economy, Vol. 27, Issue 1 2018
vocabulary - english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest ESL lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression - english lessons for all!
Taking writing comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$16|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||$80|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||$160|