I have created a teaching philosophy statement which will soon be posted on my new website (American Wordsmithy) which is under development. In brief, I believe that I, as a teacher am a guide and facilitator who must set the provide the environment, stimulus, challenges and guidance for the growth of my student on their individual journey of learning and development. A teacher at times may serve as a an instructor, a provocative questioner, a guide, a director, and at friend or confidante as the situation requires. The teacher creates a bond with the student, and most importantly must act with integrity; respecting the professional standards of teaching, and the individuals with whom he is engaged in teaching.
I am a Penn State mechanical engineering graduate with a minor in technical writing who left Washington, DC to join the Peace Corps, then taught overseas (in southern Africa) for 12 years, briefly serving as headmaster of a girls high school in Johannesburg. I then worked in the oil and gas industry in the Middle East for 20 years. I have settled in southern California and now have returned to teaching and tutoring.
Degrees and Certifications
2020: International Diploma in English Language Teaching (Bridge IDELT)
2012: Masters in Education, Education Technology (Boise State University)
1981: Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering/Minor in Technical Writing (Pennsylvania State University)
• Middle School Science and English Teacher with US Peace Corps, Nov 1982-Sep 1983
• Served as teacher of middle school Science and English (Standards 6-8) at Mahobong Secondary School
in Leribe District of Lesotho in southern Africa.
• High School Mathematics and Science Teacher, Jan 1984-Dec 1984
• Served as teacher of high school Mathematics and Science (Standards 8-10) at Clarkebury High School
in Clarkebury, Engcobo District of Transkei, South Africa
• High School Science Teacher, Jan 1985-Dec 1987
Served as teacher of high school Science (Standards 6-10) at Daliwonga High School in Qamata,
Cofimvaba District of Transkei, South Africa.
• Corporate Training Provider / Learning Development Champion, Jan 2002-Jun 2020
Developed and delivered various training courses during employment with Qatar Petroleum in Doha,
Qatar. Topics included Quality Assurance Management System training; QP Mandate and QP
Committee Terms of Reference development training; Technical and Business Skills Writing and
various “Lunch & Learn” presentations on Oil & Gas related topics. Developed, managed and
promoted Learning and Development Program as Learning and Development Champion for HR
Organization Effectiveness (HRO) Division, 2019 and 2020; responsibilities included sourcing and
scheduling training presentations, Safety Moment presentations, Ethics Moment presentations and
general Oil & Gas related presentations for staff awareness and development.
• High School Mathematics Teacher, Jul 2001-Dec 2001
Served as Mathematics teacher for Standards 8-10 (Grades 10-12) at Yeshiva College
in Sandringham, Johannesburg, South Africa
• High School Mathematics and English Teacher, Jan 1988-Dec 1989
• Served as teacher of high school Mathematics, Science and English Literature (Standards 8-10) at
Mthethuvumile High School in Cofimvaba District of Transkei, South Africa.
• High School Commercial Mathematics Teacher, Jan 1991-Dec 1994
• Served as teacher of high school Commercial Mathematics (Standards 6-10) at Centurion College in
Johannesburg, South Africa.
• High School Headmaster, Dec 1994-Mar 1995
• Served as headmaster of Avondale Girls High School (Standards 6-10) in Johannesburg, South Africa
briefly until school closed due to bankruptcy.
• High School Maths and Physics Tutor, 1995-1999
Provided at-home one-on-one tutoring in high school mathematics and physics.
• Consultant, Mar 1995 – Mar 1999
Worked as consultant at CRM International (now Alexander Forbes Risk Engineering); provided
occasional corporate training in use of Quality Management System and adherence to ISO 9001
certification requirements. Provided occasional training in adherence to OHSACT (Occupational
Health and Safety Act) requirements.
• Technical Writer and Quality Assurance Manager, Apr 1999 – Dec 2001
Managed DC Solutions LLC; provided corporate training in use of Quality Management System and
adherence to ISO 9001 certification requirements
mathematics lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest algebra lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, physics lessons for all!
Taking natural sciences lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$50||$25|
|5 hours||Not available||$225||$125|
|10 hours||Not available||$450||$250|