I tailor my lessons to each individual's learning style. The cornerstone of my method is to provide a non-judgemental, easy-going environment in which to learn. I also try to bridge the gap between student and teacher, approaching classes and sessions more as colleagues: I recognize that just as my students can learn from me, so can I learn from them, and I respect and appreciate that fact.
I received my Master's degree in French Linguistics at the University of British Columbia, where I now hold a position as a French instructor. I have taught and tutored everything from elementary- to university-level (and beyond) French with great success, helping all my students achieve their goals. I also have extensive tutoring experience in English, Spanish, creative writing, and SSAT preparation. Other academic pursuits include a BA in Music and a Culinary Arts diploma.
Highlights of Qualifications
- Highly motivated and personable, with a proven ability to teach effectively
- Truly passionate about teaching, encouragement, and success of every student
- Able to adapt teaching skills to different ways of learning
- Upbeat attitude, with an emphasis on providing a positive, non-judgmental learning environment
Master of Arts, French Linguistics, 2019
Bachelor of Arts, French Language and Literature, 2016
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
- Major in French, with translation- and linguistics-specific courses
- Have also taken courses in French literature and advanced Spanish grammar
- Tutored UBC students in French linguistics and Spanish grammar
- Currently enrolled in the Master of French (MA) program and working as a French TA/instructor
- Research interests: fables of Jean de La Fontaine; the effects of English on French in bilingual Francophone environments; cyberlinguistics; second-language acquisition; sub-culture vernacular/colloquialisms
Bachelor of Arts, Music Performance (Horn), 2009
Sir Wilfrid Laurier University, Waterloo, ON
- Electives included extensive French and Spanish language and literature courses, further fostering and improving effective language and communication skills
- Attended lower- and upper-level theory, history, and aural skills classes, as well as academic seminars, greatly improving my organizational and multi-tasking skills
- Member of the various performing groups, allowing me to learn to work well under the pressure of public performance, and exposing me to different group dynamics and ways of communication, which greatly increased my ability to effectively communicate in varying settings
- Used my eye for detail for practicing parts individually and for having effective rehearsals with ensembles, leading to excellent performances both as an individual in a group and as a group as a whole
University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, January 2017 - present
International House, Vancouver, BC, July - August 2017
- Teach lectures on grammar and vocabulary to beginner and intermediate students (FREN 101, 102 and 112 at UBC; French levels 2, 3, and 4 at International House), using interactive exercises and varied approaches to increase understanding and written/oral competency
- Prepare and evaluate quizzes, tests, compositions, and exams
KEY Admissions Strategy and Learning Enrichment November 2017 - present
Tutor Doctor, Vancouver, BC; PD Plus Tutors, Vancouver, BC; Independent August 2016 - present
- French, English, Spanish, creative writing, SSAT preparation, tutoring
- Go to students' houses and work one-on-one to supplement their school material, and to help improve any weak areas using interactive techniques
Oxford Learning Centre -Vancouver, BC July 2016 - November 2017
- French, English, and Math tutoring
- Tutor up to three students at a time in various subjects ranging from pre-kindergarten to grade twelve using Oxford's own curriculum, which serves as a supplement to students' school material
Standard and Canadian French-English Translator, Standard Spanish-English Translator
Freelance, August 2014 - present
Gengo, San Meteo, CA, USA, November 2014 -present
One Hour Translation, Ltd., January 2015 - present
- Fulfilled individual contracts for the translation of various documents over a wide range of subjects, researching as necessary for material outside my areas of expertise
French-English Translator, English Proofreader, September 2014 - March 2015
BVA Mystery Shopping, Boulogne-Billancourt, France
- Used my strong attention to detail to effectively proofread mystery shopping surveys for grammar, orthography and coherence.
- Translated questionnaires and/or questionnaire answers from French to English, meeting deadlines as set
- Completed a 21325-word translation in less than 19 hours (1,130 words/hour)
Principal Horn player
New Westminster Symphony Orchestra, September 2017 - present
Vancouver Pops Symphony, 2013 - 2017
- Volunteered my time and expertise as a horn player, acting as a mentor for less-experienced players while expanding my own orchestral experience by communicating with and learning from my colleagues
french lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest oral expression - french lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral comprehension - french lessons for all!
Taking writing comprehension - french lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|