Every biology course has its ways in terms of studying and retaining information. Thus, everyone has their own study ways to acquire . I teach according to everyone's pace. I like to teach conceptually with examples to help remember biology.
I have completed my undergraduate degree in Biology at the University of Minnesota. I have personally studied and taught peers within many Biology courses. I explain my knowledge step by step with others. I really hope to help others soon!
• University of Minnesota, Twin Cities Minneapolis, MN
- Bachelor of Arts: Biology, Society & Environment Sept. 2015-June 2017
Directed Research: Plant Immunity Discovery Sept. 2016-May 2017
2017 Undergraduate Research Symposium
• Normandale Community College Bloomington, MN
Associate of Arts: Liberal Arts: Emphasis in Chemistry July 2015
Information Desk Assistant Bloomington, MN
Normandale Community College June 2013-June 2014
• Assisted students, customers and employers at college services/student center/partnership center. Organized and reported lost belongings.
• Helped students, employers and visitors purchase school convenience school essentials.
• Answered incoming calls regarding any questions. Guided individuals towards their locations.
Life Enrichment Manager (Sunrise Senior Living) March 2015-June 2015
• Assisted and managed residents with numerous day to day activities with effective and efficient team management.
• Enriched residents (Alzheimers) through physical and psychological aspects by creating active environments.
• Motivated residents to achieve personal positive independence through individual screening/one on one conversations.
• Recorded and documented daily behavioral logs that pertained to resident challenges and health.
• Efficiently adapted to resident updates and necessities as we worked along with staff and family members.
Medical Scribe (Emergency Care Consultants) June 2017 March 2018
• Proficiently using EPIC software for patient medical records.
• Documented patient medical history, test results, and vital statistics while working bedside clinicians.
• Assisted and documented medical procedures executed by the emergency provider.
• Managed sensitive and confidential materials pertaining to patient health records.
• Effectively communicated to emergency providers the status of their patients (10-30).
• Maintained prompt and organized responses in a high-stress work environment/ED.
Patient Care Volunteer Edina, MN
Fairview Southdale Hospital July 2009-June 2012
• Managed and trained new volunteers in various departments
• Routed medical records, surgery schedules, medications, blood and specimens
• Assisted patients with their requests
Richfield Advisory Board of Human Rights Richfield, MN
City of Richfield (Human Rights Commission) November 2011- June 2012
• Organized and created a foundation of the Human Rights Commission
• Worked on changing the stereotype of an integrated society by creating awareness in the community
• Planned events in public: Cinco de Mayo awareness month, Landlord and Tenant rights in Richfield
• Improved in becoming better activists for equal rights regarding- race, ethnicity, sex/gender, religion etc.
• Advised mayor, city council, and community about numerous rights/decisions to promote overall human rights of the city
• Worked to Form the city of Richfield into a stereotype/discrimination free community and society
Undergraduate Student Researcher June 2016-August 2017
Brain Injury Research Lab |Department of Neurosurgery| Hennepin County Medical Center
• Worked alongside lab staff under the direction of Dr. Uzma Samadani at a Level 1 Urban Trauma Center.
• Identified and screened trauma patients to participate in clinical research studies utilizing eye tracking technology and serum biomarkers to classify severity of brain injuries.
• Performed eye-tracking, neurocognitive, and clinical assessments on patients in the ED, STN units, SICU, and MICU.
• Performed literature reviews, data analysis, and writing for papers as part of an individualized research experience.
• Acquired proficiency in EPIC and data capture systems such as Quesgen and REDCap; performed data abstraction and data entry.
• Shadowed neurosurgeons on rounds, surgeries, and clinical care.
Attended departmental meetings and discussions.
Board Member: Historian
Muslim Student Association (Normandale Community College) Aug 2012- Jan 2014
Cause: Civil Rights and Social Action
Being a part of a diverse club at Normandale Community College has been an enjoyable experience. Having the opportunity to gain diverse knowledge and to have helped in bettering a non-forgettable club has benefited the club to reach out to not only to the student life but also within the community. It had been a great privilege to be a board member of Muslims Student Association.
•Kept records of past, updated current and future events in plan.
•Cooperated with board members to create and design: board advertisement, MSA logo & memory scrapbook.
•Helped plan events, while sharing religion knowledge with Muslims and non-Muslims.
Page Education Foundation Jan 2013 – Jun 2013
With a background of four years of Spanish speaking skills, I had the desire to learn more of the Spanish culture within my own community especially with the Richfield Public Schools. Thus, I set out under the Page Education Foundation, where I found myself volunteering as a mentor at Richfield Dual Language School. Within the months I volunteered there, I mentored children from kindergarten to grade five. I was able to connect with young bright students who shared a talent of being able to speak and learn not only in English but Spanish as well. Most importantly, the diversity gave me the opportunity to expand my Spanish speaking and widen my knowledge of the culture.
Roxanne's Day Care Jan 2006 – May 2015
Working at a professional day care, I was able to interact with many children from infants, toddlers and school age children/kids. I handled daily activities related to academics and arts. Being able to spend time with the children was one of the best experiences I have had! They are of great joy and I was always learning the psychology and intellect of these children. I even got to see them grow up to be great kids!
• Medical Terminology
• Public health
• Human/Interpersonal Communications
• Psychology & Sociology
• Cell Biology
• Chemistry Principles 1 & 2 w/ Lab
• Organic Chemistry 1 & 2 w/ Lab
• Physics with Biomedical Applications 1 & 2 w/ Lab
• Biomedical Ethics and Medical Ethics
• Spanish Language 1-4
• World Religions
• Children’s Literature
Automated segmentation to optimize subdural hemorrhage evacuation (posterior drain placement):
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs: Hennepin County Medical Center: Department of Surgery
Conclusion: In this study, placement of the drain closer to the centroid of the hematoma did not impact the volume of hematoma drained. However, posterior placement of TDC (twist drill craniostomy) drains was associated with decreased residual hematoma volume. Placing TDC drains closer to the back of the skull may increase fraction of hematoma drained and improve procedure effectiveness.
Mapping Genes of the Arabidopsis Thaliana that Affect Immunity Variation:
2017 Undergraduate Research Symposium: University of Minnesota-Twin Cities
Experiment Objective: To determine gene locations on the chromosomes of the model plant Arabidopsis thaliana that affect the immunity against the combinatorial effectors strains 3 and 4. QTL mapping was used to test whether the plant size biases the bacterial growth results. QTL mapping used to help reveal the genetic architecture (variations among the model plant accessions) for how specific groups of the type III effectors affect plan immunity. Thus, to identify exact causal genes for immunity in the future.
First Aid and CPR certified: Issued Apr 2015
Honors & Awards
• Academy of Math and Science Scholarship
• Fairview Southdale Hospital Scholarship
• Page Education Foundation Grant
• Sci-Math Colloquium Scholarship
• English (Fluent)
• Kutchi (Fluent)
• Spanish (Intermediate)
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$12|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||$60|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||$120|