I like to meet with a student and ask about their background, their motivation for learning self-defense, and then try to tailor each class based on that information. As classes progress I adjust how I teach based on their progress. I use my background in the different arts to find techniques and self-defense concepts that will work best for each student, trying to find which concepts will work with each student's strengths.
I have been studying martial arts and self-defense for 30 years with a focus on street-effective arts such as: kenpo, krav maga, escrima, boxing and hapkido. I focus on teaching simple and effective skills based on each students strengths, while helping students overcome any physical limitations. Classes are tailored to each student's or group's interests (ie. focusing on unarmed attacks, dealing with weapon-based attacks, addressing group attacks, learning to defend yourself with canes or improvised weapons)
Travel to a student's location, or for more than 1 student, may increase the hourly rate. For a detailed hourly rate, please provide all details (location, number of students, length of classes and number of classes) so I can provide you with a specific rate. I am generally very easy about rescheduling classes, particularly if they take place at my home.
Martial Arts Teaching Experience
• Practical Self-Defense (group classes and seminars) at American Tiger Karate Academy in Elk Grove Village – self-defense classes and seminars (8/2016 through the present)
• Self-Defense Instructor for 3 week course for the University of Chicago’s Summer Institute for Gifted Students (for students ages 9 to 17) (Summer 2016)
• Since 2012, providing self-defense training to individuals, groups, and corporations (see attached list)
• Prior to 2012, taught during instructor’s absence at Rigitano’s American Kenpo Karate, Elmhurst
Focused Martial Arts Training
• Kenpo Karate
- Studied under John McSweeney, 10th Degree Black Belt – for 3+ years
- Studied under Tom Saviano, 10th Degree Black Belt – for 4 years
- Studied under Steve Rigitano, 8th Degree Black Belt – for 3 years
• Krav Maga
- Studied under Sue Garstki, Expert Level Krav Maga instructor – with a strong focus on learning defenses against clubs, guns and knives - for 3 years
- Studied under Scott Gave (3rd Degree Black Belt) – for 2.5 years
- Studied under Randy Siordia (23 years training in Kali/Escrima and JKD) – for 1.5 years
- Studying under Grandmaster John Wood at JP Woods Martial Arts, since 2015
- Obtained 1st Degree Black Belt April 2019
Additional martial arts experience
• Martial Blade Concepts (system focused on knife defense) Attended numerous seminars taught by Michael Janich, founder and head instructor, and Chicago Instructor Keith Jennings, and attended 2018 Martial Blade Camp; in 2019 named as an authorized MBC Study Group Leader in Chicago
• Experience studying Aikido, Kendo and Karate in Japan and U.S.
• Some Experience in Western Boxing, Jeet Kune Do, Wing Chun, and Muay Thai
• Illinois Licensed Security Guard - PERC License #(concealed information), armed certification (concealed information)
• Current FOID and Concealed Carry License in Illinois
Reviews from my self-defense students can be found at:
martial arts lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest self defense lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, boxing lessons for all!
Taking krav maga lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||$40||$40||Not available|
|5 hours||$175||$175||Not available|
|10 hours||$300||$300||Not available|