I can tutor high school and college students. I like to take a collaborative approach to tutoring by working through problems and questions with students. I can also help with general concept review in more of a lecture style if that is preferred. I can be very flexible in my methods, and I am always willing to adjust how I explain concepts. I typically make extensive use of virtual whiteboards and the Zoom platform.
I am a junior studying Biology with a concentration in Neuroscience at the University of Richmond. I started tutoring in high school and have been a peer tutor at UR for about 3 years now. I have tutored dozens (I would estimate about 80) of students in introductory biology as well as Calculus I and II. I am strong in the areas of experimental methods and design, data analysis and statistics, and scientific writing. I have received great reviews and thanks from students and from professors whose students have worked with me.
Cancellation within 24 hours of the scheduled appointment may result in a fee. (Because I take time to prepare for my sessions!)
University of Richmond | Richmond, VA | Graduating May 2022
Bachelor of Science in Biology, minor in Healthcare Studies
Richmond Scholar, Oliver Hill Scholar
University of Richmond Academic Skills Center | Richmond, VA | September 2019 – present
• Tutor students in study skills and material for biology, chemistry, calculus, and computer science
• Prepare for tutoring sessions by being well-informed of the subject matter
• Assist students in gaining the skills, concepts, and confidence they need to learn
• Communicate with appropriate faculty and the staff of the Academic Skills Center about student needs and progress
Warrick Lab | University of Richmond, Dept. of Biology
Lab Member and Technician | September 2019 – present
• Investigated Machado–Joseph neurogenerative disease using Drosophila models
• Will present findings at U of R Student Symposium and submit for publication
Summer Research Fellow | May – July 2019
• Received summer research funding from the Integrated Inclusive Science Program
• Scientific reading and writing
• Data analysis
• Tutoring, instruction
• Drosophila model systems
• Ultramicrotomy, Plastic sectioning
• Plastic resin embedding
• Light microscopy
• Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
• Intermediate-level Spanish
• Beginner-level knowledge of Java, Python, HTML
• Dean’s List (Fall 2018, Spring 2019, Fall 2019, Spring 2020, Fall 2020)
• Oliver Hill Scholars Academic Distinction Award | 2019
Kristen is an excellent tutor. My daughter has ADHD and needs help focusing. Kristen is able to engage my daughter and assists her in getting her assignments one. Kristen is patient. knowledgeable and explains the information in a manner that my daughter can understand.
Kristen is an excellent tutor. She has done a great job of assisting my daughter who has ADHD. Kristen is very patient and can explains the content in a language that my daughter clearly understands.
Kristen is a phenomenal tutor who helped me excel in my upper-level biology course! She understood where I was having difficulties and had the best methods to help me learn the subject matter at hand. I recommend her to anyone struggling with biology!
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$12|