I have a lot of respect for people working to master a second (or third or fourth!) language, and mutual respect is a cornerstone of my teaching. I will respect your time by providing you with materials and instruction designed to meet you individual needs and goals.
I have taught English language and composition classes for over 10 years. I recently earned my Master's in Applied Linguistics with an Advanced Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. I have taught in a variety of settings, from remote online learning to elementary school to university-level composition courses.
Master of Arts in Applied Linguistics, San Diego State University (SDSU) May 2020
• Comprehensive exams completed: ESL Reading and Writing, Language Assessment,
Sociolinguistics, and Seminar in Corpus Linguistics
Bachelor of Arts in French, University of Wisconsin - Madison May 2007
• Certificate in Community College Leadership (2020)
• Advanced Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (2020)
• Certificate in Evidence-Based Teaching (2019)
• Public Education License, Foreign Language and ESL Education K - 12 (2010)
• Teaching of English to Speakers of Other Languages (2007)
Lecturer, San Diego State University 9/2020 – 12/2021
• Teaching first level in required composition course for international and multilingual students
• Delivering instruction remotely: synchronous and asynchronous lectures and activities
• Maintaining a flexible yet engaging learning environment through open dialogues with students
• Weekly live and pre-recorded lessons and mini-lectures delivered via Zoom
• Creating quizzes, discussion boards, and other assignments using Canvas
• Engaging students in group activities with Google Suite products, including Jamboard
• Scaffolding student learning through creation of original assignment outlines and activities
Citizenship Instructor - International Rescue Committee, San Diego, CA 2015 - 2017
• Prepared adult students for the US citizenship examination
• Provided English language instruction relevant to the test setting
• Interviewed, trained, supported, and coordinated volunteers for bi-weekly naturalization mock interviews
• Performed outreach efforts for the program in El Cajon and City Heights communities
• Exceeded goal student numbers outlined in USCIS program funding grant
• Supported refugee and other vulnerable populations by connections to needed services
English Language Learner Teacher - West Elementary School, Jefferson, WI 2012 - 2015
• Delivered reading, writing, and vocabulary instruction to students whose primary home language was other than English
• Taught ESL and bilingual students in grades K - 5
• Co-taught with classroom teachers to deliver engaging vocabulary and literacy instruction
• Integrated into each classroom environment to instruct small groups of ESL learners
• Communicated with special education specialists to deliver literacy instruction to students receiving additional learning services
French Teacher - Kromrey Middle School, Middleton, WI 2011 - 2012
• Taught French language and culture to students grades 6 - 8
• Administered weekly mini-quizzes to monitor student progress in lieu of homework assignments
• Increased retention in the French program by 20%
• Co-led a French student exchange/study abroad for high school students in summer of 2012
English Language Instructor- Wisconsin ESL Institute, Madison, WI 2008 - 2010
• Taught grammar, writing, and communication courses in 10-week sessions
• Worked with small classes of lower- to intermediate-level adult ESL learners
• Engaged students with a wide range of ages and abilities
English Communication Teacher - Shin Han Boys’ Middle School, Pyeongtaek, S.Korea 2007 - 2008
• Taught weekly EFL communication courses to 400 students grades 7 - 8
• Provided lessons on American culture, language, and music
Katy and I studied and worked together at San Diego State University where I looked to her for guidance and knowledge on how to teach. She is an experienced instructor and leader with the creativity, empathy, and know-how that is necessary when providing students with the best and most comprehensive experience!
I worked with Katy for two years at San Diego State University. Her passion for teaching really shines in the way she communicates with her students and in her engaging classroom activities. She is excellent at explaining complicated grammar and writing topics so they are clear. She also handles classroom issues with professionalism and grace. She is very dedicated to making sure that her students can perform at their highest potential.
vocabulary - english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest ESL lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, oral expression - english lessons for all!
Taking writing comprehension - english lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$35|
|5 hours||Not available||Not available||$175|
|10 hours||Not available||Not available||$350|