My teaching method is to understand the student's learning style and to use teaching methods that are engaging to the student. I also like to use real-world activities to help students learn rather than just relying on text. I try to keep it exciting and fresh so that students won't get bored!
I am a practicing attorney who reads and writes for a living. I also have taught part-time at a local community college and I regularly provide training on difficult legal concepts as part of my job. I love seeing students master a difficult topic!
If you need to cancel your session, please provide at least a four-hour notice. Otherwise, you will be charged the price of the session. I am also available to meet at mutually convenient locations like the library or Starbucks.
Erica L. Sheffield
Honda Manufacturing of Alabama, LLC, Lincoln, Alabama
Senior Counsel, August 2004-present
• Advise management regarding compliance with anti-discrimination laws, worker’s compensation laws, Family Medical Leave Act, Fair Labor Standards Act, National Labor Relations Act, Americans with Disabilities Act, and other federal and state legislation.
• Draft human resource policies and procedures, lead and monitor workplace investigations, and handle general business matters, such as records management and retention and compliance with Sarbanes Oxley.
• Represent the company in administrative hearings and investigations with Alabama Department of Industrial Relations, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the United States Department of Labor.
• Formulate litigation strategy for employment, worker’s compensation, product liability, and business litigation with outside counsel, draft, review, and proofread dispositive motions and appellate briefs, and attend depositions, mediations, hearings, and trials.
• Provide current training to management and supervisors regarding employment laws and other issues affecting the workplace.
• Manage the company’s compliance and ethics program by investigating all ethics complaints are investigated in a timely and objective manner, providing training to associates, participating in board meetings and company audits.
• Lead the company’s annual audit of internal controls and ensure that issues are identified and countermeasures implemented as needed by reviewing, evaluating, and documenting compliance testing results.
• Support activities related to risk management and corporate governance by advising management on new laws and regulations and resolving issues with privacy concerns, data breaches, and confidentiality violations.
Jefferson State Community College, Birmingham, Alabama
Adjunct Professor, January 2011-December 2011
• Led coursework in Paralegal Studies and mentored students who were trying to obtain a paralegal certificate.
• Developed syllabus for class; graded classwork and exams; reported results to the college in a timely manner.
Baker, Donelson, Bearman, Caldwell & Berkowitz, LLC, Birmingham, Alabama
Associate, September 2000-August 2004
• Advised business clients regarding compliance with anti-discrimination laws and other federal and state legislation.
• Researched applicable case law and drafted pleadings, dispositive motions, and appellate briefs in employment and commercial litigation actions.
• Formulated litigation strategy, negotiated settlements, and argued various motions in state and federal court.
• Served on the Recruiting Committee with a focus on the recruitment and development of minority and female attorneys and served on the Associate Relations Committee to address concerns of associates with management.
• Lectured at local seminars regarding employment issues and drafted various articles for the firm’s newsletter.
Alabama Attorney General’s Office, Montgomery, Alabama
Summer Clerk, Summer 1998
• Reviewed trial transcripts, researched applicable case law, and drafted appellate briefs on behalf of the State of Alabama in criminal cases.
Emory University School of Law, Atlanta, Georgia
Juris Doctorate Degree, May 2000
Full-tuition Scholarship Recipient
Jerome Prince Evidence Moot Court Competition, Brooklyn Law School, April 1999
Tulane University, New Orleans, Louisiana
Bachelor of Arts in English, cum laude, May 1997
Full-tuition Scholarship Recipient
Women as Leaders Conference, Washington, D.C., June 1996
Children’s Village, Board Member (2009-2019)
Girls Inc., Board Member (2015-present)
Birmingham Urban League
• Secretary (2013-2014)
• Board Member (2008-2013)
Birmingham Bar Association, Member (2000-present)
• Diversity Committee Chairperson (2015-2016 and 2019)
• Public Service Committee Member (2010-present)
• Pro Bono Committee Co-Chairperson (2013-present)
Alabama State Bar, Member (2000-present)
• In-House Counsel and Public/Government Lawyers Task Force (2014-2015)
• Leadership Forum Graduate (2009)
• Volunteer Lawyers Program (2012-present)
Women’s Fund, Voices Against Violence Initiative (2009-2010)
Homeless Experience Legal Protection, Volunteer (2009-present)
Association of Corporate Counsel, Member
Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
Northern District of Alabama
Middle District of Alabama
Southern District of Alabama
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, literature lessons for all!
Taking essay writing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$15||$15|
|5 hours||Not available||$60||$75|
|10 hours||Not available||$120||$150|