●Contemporary Jazz Funk
【For me】, dance classes should be playful and stress-free. Getting to know my students is the first and foremost thing I do because I believe it is the way to build connection and trust between my students and me.
I think the technique is less important than helping my students build their own confidence in their bodies. I use a personalized approach to assist students to be aware of the sensation of their bodies and help them recognize the subtlety of the body movement.
While teaching movement, I explain each movement in a very detailed way, I often use imagery to help students understand. My class focuses on choreographing movement for each student based on their own possibilities and levels of dancing. I pace my class accordingly based on students' ability to learn.
【My students】have described their experiences studying with me as life-changing events. They felt so much more connected to their body, felt more confident and happy. They sensed the improvement of their dance skill after every lesson they took with me, and had no problem to free-style and define their own dance languages.
It’s very fun to take my class and I love to connect with students in both artistic and personal contexts!
Rourou is one of our best tutors. High-quality profile and excellent qualifications, organized and responsive to lesson requests, appreciated by their students!
!!Learn more about my teaching practice on my website: rourouye dot com
check my Instagram for my daily dance videos! IG: rourou_sweetheart
Rourou is a dance artist whose career spans between China and New York City, incorporating choreographic investigation, theatrical dance content, dance for camera, and student mentorship. She trained rigorously in Chinese dance in a conservatory setting for over 10 years, followed by studies in American and European dance and theater practices since her early 20s. Rourou holds a BFA in Choreography from Shanghai Theater Academy and an MFA in Dance from Sarah Lawrence College.
As a teacher, she has taught hundreds of students of different levels, in various dance styles, ranging from contemporary, kpop, theater, jazz, hip-hop, Chinese, improvisation, and choreography. She’s passionate about helping students to achieve their individualized goals through her unique, comprehensive, and supportive teaching style. She is passionate about education and believes in the role art plays in how people learn, grow and connect with each other.
As a choreographer, her works have been presented by major dance venues in the USA including GIBNEY, Danspace Project, Movement Research, Center for Performance Research, The Field, Dixon Place, Bronx Academy of Art and Dance, LMCC, Arts on Site, Austin Dance Festival, Venice Art Factory (Italy), and in China by Shanghai International Dance Festival, Shanghai Conservatory of Music, Beijing Dance Festival, and China Dance Forward (Hong Kong).
︎ 2015 --2017: Master of Fine Arts in Dance, Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY, USA
︎2008 --2012: Bachelor of Fine Arts in Dance, Shanghai Theater Academy-College of Dance, Shanghai, China
◉ TEACHING EXPERIENCE
【FOUNDER & DANCE INSTRUCTOR】
>>> One Space Arts, NYC & Remote / JUNE 2017 - Present
● Teaching group and one-on-one contemporary dance technique classes for college-level professional dance students.
● Supervising college-level professional dance students’ original choreographic works and dance performances in order for them to apply for the Master of Fine Art in Dance programs in the USA.
● Students under my supervision have been successfully accepted into master dance programs in the following schools: California Institution of the Arts, Duke University, Sarah Lawrence College, The University of North Carolina at Greensboro, University of Roehampton(UK), University College London(UK).
【 DANCE INSTRUCTOR & MUSICAL CHOREOGRAPHER】
>>> Shanghai Conservatory of Music, Shanghai, China / September 2012 - July 2015
● I taught dance classes for Musical Theater major students from all grades in the college. Each class consists of 20 to 25 students both male and female with various dance levels.
● Dance styles I taught including Ballet, Contemporary, Musical Theater Dance(Jazz), African Dance, Hip-hop, and improvisation.
● I taught four to five classes per week and each class lasted for 2 hours.
● Besides teaching class, I also choreographed the Musical plays for students' annual performance. Each play consisted of around 6 to 10 dance pieces. I used to usually instruct around 15 to 20 students in a single rehearsal.
● I was the most popular dance instructor in the department and I was highly valued by the chair of the department and my colleagues at the time.
【PRIVATE DANCE INSTRUCTOR / Independent, 2012 - Present】
>>> For pre-college students who auditioning for dance and musical theater majors in performing art colleges in China
● In an in-person one-on-one teaching context, I choreograph and teach 90-seconds short dances for individual students based on their dance level and their own body dynamics. 70% of the students have no previous dance experience before they took classes with me. Each student learns different dance choreography.
● The dance styles I choreographed include Contemporary, Jazz, Contemporary Jazz, Hip-hop, Musical Theater, Lyrical Contemporary.
● I have taught more than 30 students over the years when I was physically in China(2012- 2015, 2018, 2019)
● My students have been accepted into top-performing art schools, including Shanghai Conservatory of Music, Shanghai Theater Academy, Central Conservatory of Music, Beijing Dance Academy, Nanjing University of the Arts, Xinghai Conservatory of Music, Shanghai Film Art Academy.
>>> For adult
● In an in-person and virtual one-on-one teaching context, I teach non-professional dancers, and dance beginners various dances to help them balance their sedentary life, connect themselves with their body and mind. To embrace and appreciate their body and who they are.
● My students are strong leading professionals in their field who love art and dance.
【GUEST TEACHING ARTIST】
>>> Shanghai Theater Academy, Shanghai, China
- October 21, 2019
● I was invited as a guest teaching artist by the Choreography Department at the Shanghai Theater Academy for the 21st China Shanghai International Art Festival RAW Dance Innovation Week & the 20th Anniversary Celebration of STA Dance College.
● I taught a 2-hour workshop on the topic of object theater and performance for over 50 cross major students from the college.
- January 4, 2018
● I was invited as a guest teaching artist by the chair of the choreography department to teach improvisation class for second-year choreography major students in the college.
◉ ARTISTIC EXPERIENCES
RECENT MAJOR CHOREOGRAPHY & PERFORMANCES
>>> Work: The Absent Umbra, (solo_12m)
- Year of Creation: 2020
The work was featured in [EdgeCut- Captivity], an virtual performance project initiated by the tech and design incubator at [The New Museum of Contemporary Art] (New York City) in partnership with [New York Live Arts]in October 2020, and later it was covered on [The Dance Enthusiast]. This work was originally commissioned and presented by the [Bronx Academy of Dance and Art] in May 2020.
>>> Work: The Tangible Hallucination of Rourou in the Day-Time (Evening Length)
- Year of Creation: 2018 - Ongoing
The work was presented in various venues by New York City's major experimental dance organizations, including [Movement Research], [Center for Performance Research], [Danspace Project], [GIBNEY dance], [Bronx Academy of Dance and Art]. The work was also featured in the [Tribeca Art + Culture Night] as part of Lower Manhattan Cultural Council's [River to River Festival] in 2018. At Venice Art Factory, Venice, Italy, the work was video presented at Where is Where - Wiving Heterotopias exhibition curated by the Curatorial Practice Masters at IED Instituto Europeo di Design, Venezia from January to February 2020.
Perfect! Rourou is an amazing teacher. She is very patient with beginners like me and walks me through step by step on how to move my body in just the right ways. She is fantastic at explaining how certain moves should feel or look. Often giving me scenarios like “Imagine there’s a string connected to the middle of your spine. Now imagine someone takes that string and yanks it backwards, pulling you with it. That is the movement you need to make.” Rourou also records our sessions and sends them to me, making practicing on my own much easier. Through working with her I have learned so much, not only about dance but about myself and body as well. For instance, we have realized I’m a very tense person, especially in my shoulders. After having it pointed out in my dance, I notice I do it all the time. I often find myself with my jaw clenched, back stiff and shoulders raised, even while “relaxing” in bed I catch myself in this position. I have been working on this out side of class with relaxation methods and stretching. Ever since, my body all together feels extremely better, even in places I wasn’t aware were tense. Every week I look forward to my sessions with Rourou and each time I can confidently say I leave it dancing way better than the last. If you compared the me now from a couple months ago, you’d definitely notice a huge difference in flexibility, confidence, and movement to the music all together. Taking classes with Rourou has been an all around extraordinary experience that I wouldn’t trade for the world.
I am looking forward to work with Brooke!
Perfect! Rourou is a very good teacher, and has a very strong dance background. She has a good eye for movement and can explain subtle movements/details very well. She is very very good and would recommend her :)
My friend recommended Rourou to me. As a person who never learned contemporary dances before, I was so nervous and afraid that I couldn't catch up with the speed. But Rourou was awesome! She explained every detail so patiently! I will definitely book her class again :)
Rourou is a multi-faceted dancer, choreographer, and educator. Rourou and I have worked together in numerous capacities as dance artists and colleagues. She has an extensive dance background in contemporary and traditional movement forms, performance, choreography, mentorship, and teaching. She also maintains a thriving choreographic and movement practice. She is fluent in both Chinese and English, and has international experience working in both China and the USA. Her continual curiosity and commitment to her craft have led her to be fully attuned and engaged with her students.
Dancing with Rourou is so much fun and so rewarding! Her extensive background in dance theory and choreography is very apparent while she is teaching but more importantly she is just so much fun to learn from! Her style is very personalized for each student and she is so patient when working with you to make sure you are getting exactly what you are looking for out of the experience. She is very easy to learn from and she has wonderful movement and style that translates to a great carefree class where you feel great at the end of every class. I just love Rourou's classes and you will too!
Really enjoy dance with rourou! I found her on superprof. She is a talented dancer and have lot of experience about how to teach. As a beginner for contemporary dance. We start from focus on coordinating breath which is something I never actually think of in my whole life LOL...She didn't tend to teach specific choreographer but more about listen to the music and express what your body feel. I really enjoy this style. In my opinion dance is not just about learning other people's choreographer but more about following your body and music. And some day you can create your own choreographer.
If you have the opportunity to dance with, and learn from, Rourou, you would be lucky to have it! Rourou is an incredible dance artist and teacher. Her mastery of dance theory, and how she incorporates her experiences into her movements and choreography, are truly amazing to witness. She has taught me to be comfortable with my body, and *gasp* I even feel like I have control. I feel more stronger and more confident than I have in years, and I owe a lot of it to Rourou. She will challenge you, and your mind and body might not necessarily appreciate it at the moment, but it’s obviously the only way to grow. Rourou’s emphasis on mental peace, strength, and exploration as a crucial piece of dancing, makes her classes both physical and mentally rigorous, but I love it! Rourou is kind, fun, thoughtful, and disciplined - I feel very fortunate to be her student, and I hope others can experience the joys and rewards of being her student! :)
Rourou has a very strong dance background, and I can say very experienced in teaching. The way she teaches makes the material super easy to learn. If you need one word to describe the process, it would be Magical. I can’t believe how much I’ve learned within just one class. The way the lesson flowed made me wanna come back to her again and definitely recommend it to others who are seeking a superior dance experience.
Rourou is an extremely knowledgeable, sweet and highly experienced teacher. She made the class so easy to learn. I enjoyed her class so much that I wholeheartedly recommend her!
dance lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest choreography lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, contemporary dance lessons for all!
Taking jazz dancing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|