I teach History and English at the college level. I have an M.A. in History and a B.A. in English. In addition, I have 8 years of experience tutoring students in Writing, English as a Second Language, and reading. My goal as a tutor is to help students become self sufficient learners who can succeed in any learning situation they find themselves in. I am willing to teach/tutor anybody between the primary school level all the way to college level.
I have been tutoring and teaching at a local college in Jacksonville, Florida for over 8 years. I structure my individual tutoring around identifying what students need. Usually, my tutoring sessions last between 30 minutes to one hour. I try to give students exercises to reinforce material gone over during the lesson/tutoring session. In addition, for ESOL learners, I also work with pronunciation during lessons.
I give the first lesson, a 30 minute preview lesson, for free.
1815 Leeward Lane, Neptune Beach, FL 32266
(concealed information) | (concealed information)
Date available to begin work: Immediately
College educator and historian who has worked in a culturally and linguistically diverse academic environment for 7 years. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Excellent analytic skills and the ability to quickly learn new tools, like languages and technology, to assist in research.
Education: Master of Arts in History from the University of North Florida.
Employment: My ability to work independently within an organization’s guidelines has created trust between myself and the organizations I have worked for. Knowledge of different cultures and languages through interactions on the job. Ability to maintain a professional demeanor in stressful environments.
Personal: Love of learning new skills and languages. Inquisitive and analytic. Self-directed and motivated to perform each task to the best of my abilities.
Languages: Classical Mongolian (reading knowledge), Russian (intermediate), Portuguese (novice), Manchu (reading knowledge)
PROFESSIONAL WORK EXPERIENCE
Instructor of History, August 2013 – Present
Edward Waters College, Jacksonville, Florida
• Prepare and deliver lectures to undergraduate students on topics such as U.S. history, African American history, African history, and World history.
• Conduct research in the Transatlantic slave trade and African history in the 15th-18th centuries.
• Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
• Initiate, facilitate, and moderate classroom discussions.
• Plan, evaluate, and revise curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.
• Keep abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
• Serve on academic or administrative committees that deal with institutional policies, departmental matters, and academic issues.
• Participate in campus and community events.
• Write grant proposals to procure external research funding.
Academic Tutor, November 2010 – Present
Florida State College at Jacksonville, Jacksonville, Florida
• Tutor and assist students individually or in small groups to help them master assignments and to reinforce learning concepts presented by teachers.
• Enforce administration policies and rules governing students.
• Collaborate with faculty to implement remedial programs for students.
• Prepare lesson materials, bulletin board displays, exhibits, equipment, and demonstrations.
• Prepare lesson outlines and plans in assigned subject areas and create content for social media sites and online learning software like Facebook or Blackboard, Canvas, and Moodle.
• Create, maintain, and distribute work assignments to student workers.
Adjunct Instructor of History, May 2012 – July 2013
Florida State College at Jacksonville, Jacksonville, Florida
• Prepared and deliver lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as African American history and United States history.
• Evaluated and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers.
• Initiated, facilitated, and moderated classroom discussions.
• Compiled, administered, and graded examinations, or assigned this work to others.
• Planned, evaluated, and revised curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.
• Maintained regularly scheduled office hours to advise and assist students.
English as a Second Language and Writing Tutor, September 2007 – December 2009
University of North Florida, Jacksonville, Florida
• Provided extra assistance to students with special needs, such as non-English-speaking students or those with physical and mental disabilities.
• Edited student papers for grammar, style (APA, AP, MLA, and Chicago), and organization.
• Tutored and assisted students individually or in small groups to help them master assignments and to reinforce learning concepts presented by teachers.
• Presented subject matter to students under the direction and guidance of teachers, using lectures, discussions, or supervised role-playing methods.
• Planned, prepare, and develop various teaching aids such as bibliographies, charts, and graphs.
Master of Arts in History, December 2009
University of North Florida, Jacksonville, Florida, GPA 3.8
Bachelor of Arts in English, May 2008
University of North Florida, Jacksonville, Florida, GPA 3.4
College Reading & Learning Association Certification, October 2016
FSCJ, Jacksonville, Florida
Russian Language Program, May-June, 2007: 96 hours
Moscow University for the Humanities, Moscow, Russia
VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE / COMMUNITY SERVICE
Habitat 4 Humanity, Beaches Habitat, August 2004-Present
Volunteer at various jobs to help build affordable housing for low income families.
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, Academic tutoring for all!
Taking Homework help has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|