My philosophy is that anyone can learn how to write. It's a necessary life and job skill, no matter what future you are planning. I work with students of all levels to build effective communication skills.
My teaching approach is relational. I believe that any type of writing is easier when you are passionate about your topic, so I work to get to know what students like and want to write about.
I have a BA in English, with a focus in Creative Writing. After college, I took multiple professional tutoring jobs with students of all ages for 4 years before deciding to go back to school to get my English Credential. I have 3 years of full-time teaching experience.
My prices vary based on hours desired per week and the number of students. Sibling discounts are available. For higher-level students or extra subjects, prices will reflect the amount of work expected.
CA Single Subject Credential – English / Effective Communicator / Organized / Dependable
Published Writer / Teaching Experience / Vocal Performance / Computer Skills
Bachelors of Arts, Creative Writing, William Jessup University 2011
Minor in Music, William Jessup University 2011
100-Hour TESOL Certificate, Oxford Seminars 2012
Nikao School of Leadership, The Family Church 2015
Masters of Arts, Teaching, William Jessup University In Progress
Metonym Literary Journal, Spring 2012
PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION EXPERIENCE
Teacher - English August 2019 – June 2020
Matt Garcia Career & College Academy Fairfield, CA
• Implemented District curriculum for English 7 and English 8. Created and implemented supplementary materials to further support student comprehension. Communicated with students, families, and other staff about student’s progress and behavior. Participated in California State’s teacher induction program for the duration of employment.
• Enforced school wide expectations of behavior and attitude towards learning. Encouraged independent learning, digital literacy, personal responsibility, and critical thinking skills through both the main curriculum and supplemental materials. Worked closely with induction consulting teacher to implement effective classroom management strategies.
After Care Aide September 2018 – August 2019
Maria Montessori Charter Academy Rocklin, CA
• Supervised students in after school care on a day to day basis. Facilitated check-in and check-out processes. Developed activities and opportunities for students to practice skills.
• Enforced school wide expectations of behavior and attitude towards learning. Encouraged independent play, and offered opportunities for open-ended creative projects.
Teacher – English and Bible August 2017 – June 2018
Woodland Christian School Woodland, CA
• Created and implemented curriculum for English 9 and Bible 12 courses. Responsible for aligning curriculum with school and common core standards. Worked with online student management systems to communicate with students and parents. Participated in California State’s teacher induction program for the duration of employment.
• Introduced foundational concepts for college level writing in English 9, along with relevant academic vocabulary. In Bible 12, introduced life skills necessary for college and adult life as well as critical thinking skills for studying and supporting a personal worldview.
Summer School English Teacher June 2017 – July 2017
Rocklin High School Rocklin, CA
• Taught English 10 and English 12 credit recovery summer school courses. Designed curriculum focused on teaching students essay structure, reading comprehension, and critical thinking skills. Engaged students in discussions on current events, and worked directly with individual students to hone their essay writing skills.
• Worked with Schoology online classroom and AESOP student management system to communicate with students and parents throughout the period. Worked with Google App Suite as the primary resource for student homework submission.
Substitute Teacher January 2017 – June 2017
Rocklin Unified School District Rocklin, CA
• Worked primarily with Rocklin High School ELA department and the Special Education Adult 18-22 Transition program.
• Implemented curriculum with a variety of grade levels and learner proficiencies. Enforced classroom management strategies, taught life skills, facilitated off-site trips and work study outings, communicated with primary teachers about student progress.
Student Teacher August 2016 – December 2016
Rocklin High School/William Jessup University Rocklin, CA
• Worked with students in grades 10 and 12, instructing them in Language Arts using primarily teacher-provided curriculum. Created pieces of curriculum and activities focusing on literary analysis and the instruction in writing – creative and academic.
• Participated in professional development, as well as department and staff meetings. Worked directly with Certified Master Teachers to learn the common systems, as well as strategies at every level of teaching; both in classroom instruction and administrative duties.
Youth Development Specialist December 2014 – August 2016
Boys & Girls Club of Placer County Auburn, CA
• Facilitate educational activities for students ages 6-12, including writing, vocal and piano lessons, physical education, and special interest clubs. Run homework help hour.
• Implement Boys & Girls Club mission, focusing on bringing quality education and guidance to students who do not have access to it on a daily basis. Influence students to internalize respect of themselves and other, and respect for their surroundings.
Summer Staff/Volunteer Counselor June 2005 – August 2014
Heavenly Hills Christian Camp Twain Harte, CA
• 2005-2008; 2014 - Summer Ministry Team: Food preparation, housekeeping, maintenance, inventory of camp store, ran camp store register, assisted with basic administrative work. Facilitated learning and team-building activities around ropes course for camp groups of all ages.
• 2009-2014 - Volunteer Counselor: Counseled up to 10 girls in cabin groups, ages 7-18, ran game time, led songs, led maintenance teams, assisted in camp store.
Tutor, Grades 1 - 12 October 2012 – October 2013
Above Grade Level Tutoring Lincoln, CA
• Performed one-on-one tutoring sessions for students grades 1-12 in the areas of Reading, Writing, Elementary Math, and Social Studies.
• Responsible for maintaining progress records, assigning and grading homework, giving input on curriculum needs, maintaining discipline in session.
Reading Teacher January 2012 - May 2012
Sylvan Learning Center Fremont, CA
• Taught two classes of 8 students each remedial reading in after-school program using Sylvan’s NCLB-approved curriculum.
• Responsible for classroom management, record keeping, and assessment of student progress.
Piano/Pioneer Life Teacher Fall 2009 and Fall 2012
United Christian Home Educators Rocklin, CA
• Piano: Taught 12 students ages 6-11 beginning piano in a class setting. Developed activities, drills, theory exercises, and assessments for the whole class, and differentiate when necessary to accommodate for skill level.
• Pioneer Life: Taught social studies to 12 students ages 8-11, focusing on the culture and lifestyle of pioneers during the rapid expansion west. Developed entire class curriculum, including the content covered, reading assignments, activities, assessments, and other enrichment exercises.
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest creative writing lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, essay writing lessons for all!
Taking college / university preparation lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$30||$30|
|5 hours||Not available||$25||$150|
|10 hours||Not available||$20||$300|