My approach to teaching is to give every student a voice. For the past 5 years, I have been teaching ESL conversational english and have tried at every step to include literature and poetry in as many classes as I could. The aim of my classes are always to focus on the student's needs and learning type more than the structural expectation of a classroom environment. Sometimes this is easier with smaller classes but not impossible with large ones. I stand to learn from my students as much as they learn from me.
I have been tutoring and editing (writing coach) since my senior year at university, about 10 years ago. Since graduating I have expanded my experience to include business writing and book editing. Five years ago, I ventured into ESL instruction and have taught Conversational English to students from 3 years to grandparents.
My love and passion is reading (literature) and always encourage people to find what interests them. Sometimes the right material is not at hand why people do not do as much. I also enjoy exploring new interests and hobbies and have recently started crocheting as a means to challenge. myself in something that could become useful.
Cancellations need to be made a minimum of 24 hours before scheduled meeting. Exceptions being for an emergency, proof of which must be provided.
KAPTIVATING THOUGHT Sunrise, Florida Freelance Editor 03/2010 to Present
• Proofread and copy edit My Bright Bright Light! published September, 2014.
• Copy edit and proofread Mackina: Why Do Robots Fall in Love (The Mecha Chronicles) published August, 2013.
• Edit academic papers, manuscripts and blogs.
• Draft and edit blog entries for travel website and food blog.
• Consult on story development and concept direction.
• Counsel students and professionals on proper writing technique and style with a focus on MLA and APA writing styles.
• Tutor high school and college level students in Composition and Comprehension.
ASTON ENGLISH Jinan, China Foreign Teacher Trainer 02/2017 to 02/2020
• Lead Trainer in a team of foreign teacher trainers.
• Train and orient new teachers to company guidelines and teaching standards.
• Orient new teachers to students’ learning capacity and expectations in and out of the classroom.
• Present company guided material and best practices for successful classes.
• Guide teachers in good habits for lesson planning and classroom management.
• Prepare and present workshops and/or one-to-one coaching to assist teachers in weak areas, reinforce and share strong points.
• Lead a team to create and potentially launch a pilot program to introduce Literature and Cognitive Thinking into the Aston program.
• Support Regional Office in foreign staff management and welfare.
Foreign Teacher 08/2015 to 06/2020
• Attend scheduled classes both at Aston and at other educational facilities.
• Instruct classes ranging from beginner to advanced level english studies.
• Guide students and Chinese teachers in the proper pronunciation and use of lan- guage in content and context.
• Assist in administering evaluational exams for advancement through the Aston education program.
ISLAND EXPERT TRAVEL Miami, Florida Administrative Assistant/Travel Agent 10/2014 to 02/2016
• Drafted, edited and proofed blog entries and newsletter for agency’s website and advertising campaigns.
• Assisted in daily operation of agency.
• Gave quotes and booked vacation packages which may include air, hotel, transfers, car rental and/or attractions.
• Represented company at various trade shows and cultural events.
• Prepared and responded to business to business, as well as business to consumer correspondence.
• Maintained travel insurance policies for clients and submitted claims when necessary.
• Maintained communication with clients during their booking process up to time of travel.
LAW OFFICES Ft. Lauderdale, Florida- LegalAssistant
• Assist in general office operational procedure and requirements.
• Draft, edit and proof pleadings and communication.
• Assist in preparing and maintaining Personal Injury, Civil and General Litigation, Probate, Guardianship and Estate files.
• Maintain attorney's calendar by scheduling client consultations ,follow-ups meetings, hearings and mediations.
ReadingPaysMor.com Executive Assistant
• Correspond with contractors to source advertising and promotional material for the not-for-profit organization (NPO).
• Responsible for web and social media presence of the NPO.
• Prepare and edit all written communication for NPO.
• Coordinate vendor sourcing and designation of work for NPO.
• Attend social events as NPO ambassador.
FLORIDA ATLANTIC UNIVERSITY - Bachelor of Arts in English with a minor in Sociology Certificate of Completion in Gender & Multicultural Studies
ED TRAINING CENTER - Introductory Teacher Training (for Substitute Teachers)
OXFORD SEMINARS - TESOL/TEFL/TESL Training Certification (100hrs)
GLOBAL LANGUAGE TRAINING - IELTS Specialist - Course and test outline (60hrs)
LEARN TEFL - TEFL Grammar (50hrs)
Kalisha is a very detailed and well structured person. She communicates clearly and effectively. I’ve known Kalisha for many years and I’ve always admired her dedication, trustworthiness and work ethic. Whenever I meet new people, I look for people that add value to my life and they are who I choose to associate myself with. Kalisha does exactly that, add value. Kalisha isn’t a selfish worker/person, she’s a team player and she brings that mindset to every partnership. I have absolute confidence that Kalisha will be an asset to the Superprof team.
I highly recommend Kalisha for any teaching position. She keeps students engaged in the learning process while maintaining a structured learning environment. Kalisha also has great communication skills and works well in a team of teachers. Her lessons are well thought out and well coordinated. Ms. Thomas brings with her the versatility to adapt her lessons to the abilities of students. These attributes are what make Kalisha a trustworthy teacher.
Kalisha is a very driven and enthusiastic teacher. She is loyal and dedicated to her students, and demonstrates the highest levels of professionalism. Kalisha is charasmatic and understanding, and always makes an effort to show sensitivity to different cultural backgrounds and individual student needs. I HIGHLY recommend Kalisha!
Kalisha is wonderful person, more importantly she is passionate about sharing knowledge. Anyone would benefit greatly having her as an educator. My personal experience as her colleague has been tremendous. She motivates others to highest levels of creativity, while encouraging them to think critically. Your organization will greatly benefit from her veratile teaching style and Delia personality.
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, essay writing lessons for all!
Taking Resume / Cover letter writing prep has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$18|