Education only works if it fits the student, so I vary my methods. I am seeking the moment of epiphany - the exact moment when the student and the message are in harmony. Learning must be fun, too, so I work to make it that way.
I have taught English 101 at the university level, plus many high school substitute classes. I have tutored several individual students, both for degree satisfaction and to pass the ACT/SAT. I love teaching and especially tutoring. Join me.
• B.A., Stanford University. Major in English, Honors Program in creative writing. Completed baccalaureate degree in two and a half years while employed full time.
• J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law. Co-Valedictorian, Student Body President, extern at the California Supreme Court. Achieved degree while employed full time.
• Certificate in Management, Santa Clara University School of Business
• Public Affairs Council. Graduate of the Council’s three-year, one week a year residential program
• Two quarters English 101, sole instructor, Central Michigan University
• Two quarters Political Science 327, team teacher, Central Michigan University
• Frequent guest lecturer, Mount Pleasant Michigan High School; Homestead High School, Sunnyvale, California; Cupertino High School, Cupertino, California; Monte Vista High School, Monte Vista, California
• Teacher’s Assistant, Fremont Union High School, Sunnyvale, California [Speech and Debate]
• Stanford Workshops on Political and Social Issues [SWOPSI] Instructor, two quarters, Stanford University
• USAF, Air Traffic Controller
• Mountain View Police Department, Police Officer
o Received written commendations, served as training officer for the reserve police officers. First in class at police academy. Intermediate POST certificate.
• Industrial Indemnity Insurance, Public Affairs Manager
o Managed a campaign to permit private sector operation of Washington state’s workers compensation program, represented the company in Alaska, Oregon, Arizona and as a board member on the California Tort Reform Assembly.
• Deaver and Hannaford Public Relations, California Vice President
o Managed government relationships for Republic of China, Bechtel, Sony, the Keidanren, other clients. Successfully participated in stopping California’s proposed unitary tax program.
• KPIX Television [San Francisco Bay Area CBS affiliate] On-Camera Talent
o Provided election coverage as an advisor and on-camera talent. Produced series of legal information segments.
• Syntex Pharmaceuticals, Public Affairs Manager
o Successfully managed dioxin spill situation in Missouri [Times Beach], created and produced television updates for international distribution. Represented the company before legislative bodies in California and Missouri. Principal investigator in cases involving laboratory animal abuse, misuse of drug detection equipment, city ordinance violations.
• Leslie Salt Company/Cargill, Public Affairs Manager
o Created and managed a multimember organization that resulted in both preservation of property value and environmental protections in San Francisco Bay, successfully managed resolution of toxic pollution of Gulf of Mexico in Florida by company-owned entity.
• Bellwether Group, Cofounder and President/CEO
o Created and managed a multi-state entity providing Medicaid billing services for school districts in Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia. Expert witness, FBI and Texas Attorney General investigation resulting in three executives sentenced to prison for defrauding El Paso Unified School District.
• LEAnet, Cofounder and Executive Director
o Managed a national coalition of school districts, including New York City Board of Education, Los Angeles Unified and Chicago Public Schools. Created and managed an organization of more that eighty non-profits and private sector clients that successfully overturned a federal regulation that would have resulted in the annual loss of hundreds of millions of federal dollars to schools.
• Attorney at Law
o Represented the states of Alabama, Wyoming, and South Carolina in matters directly related to Medicaid reimbursement. Presented at state, regional and national conferences on these issues; served as pro bono general counsel for the National Alliance for Medicaid in Education; as an expert witness in helping Ohio school districts reestablish that state’s Medicaid reimbursement program; represented the Los Angeles Unified School District, both at the state and national level, in the protection of Medicaid billing; represented the New Mexico Association of School Superintendents in rebuilding that state’s Medicaid reimbursement program for schools; and led a national coalition of school districts for more than a decade in a variety of debates involving school based health services and special education financing.
• City of Sunnyvale, California, City Councilmember
o Elected to the City Council, co-led a community group that resulted in the election of two new members, overturning the previous Council majority. Served on several County agencies representing Sunnyvale. Served on the seven-member Redevelopment Agency that successfully rebuilt downtown Sunnyvale’s commercial center.
• Federal Criminal Justice Agency, Chairman of Region J [Santa Clara County, California]
o Successfully created a year-long coordinated campaign that reduced in-county burglaries. Testified before Congressional Committee in support of continued funding of similar agencies.
• California Coalition for Trucking Deregulation, President
o Managed a group of nearly 300 shippers, including Del Monte, Procter and Gamble, 3M, in overturning a harmful action of the California Public Utilities Commission. In seventeen months, changed the PUC vote from four to zero against to five to zero in favor of our position.
• National Association of Charter Schools, Executive Director
o Created the first national charter school entity, organized and managed two multinational annual conferences, published a monthly newsletter subscribed to by several state libraries.
• Governor’s Efficiency Team, Chairman
o Served as Chairman of the GET team charged with overhauling California’s state health department budget. Directly appointed by the Governor.
• Combined Health Agency Drive [CHAD], Board Member and President
o Increased corporate contributions to CHAD, reorganized the entity to reduce internal expenses, fired and replaced Executive Director.
• Marine Science Institute, Board Member
o Arranged the transfer of Bay Area waterfront land from private company to the Institute, co-managed the scientific analysis and disposal of a whale cadaver recovered on Institute property.
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest creative writing lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, essay writing lessons for all!
Taking oral expression lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$20||$20|