As I mentioned earlier, I have taught students of all ages and levels. Although the majority were based on ESL subjects like vocabulary, pronunciation, reading, and writing, I also taught variations of literature, essay writing, linguistics, and more! My teaching approach varies depending on my student's learning style. All in all, I believe in a Freirian teaching philosophy which describes the dynamic between teacher and student as an exchange rather than a one way deposit of knowledge.
I have been teaching and tutoring both groups and individuals for about 6 years now. I cannot count the number of students I have taught because there have been so many of all ages and a variety of subjects of English. My students have always been very happy with my lessons because they achieve their goals and good grades in the end. Finally, I believe my teaching style is special because I adapt to each of my student's unique learning styles very quickly.
Education Masters Degree in Linguistics/TESOL from CSUDH
Bachelors of Arts in English Literature from Rutgers State University
• Proficient in Spanish and French with a working knowledge of Japanese, Portuguese Arabic, and Italian
• Strong Communication and Verbal skills
• Positive attitude
• Personable and outgoing
• Proficient Knowledge in Technology and Computers
• Attentive and Analytical
Experience September 2020-Present
Hey Tutor: Private Academic Tutor
• Apply to available cases on Hey Tutor website.
• Once lesson is acquired, arrange lesson meetings based on schedules.
• Design lesson plan depending on student’s need and desire
• Meet with student online or face to face depending on lesson and student preference.
February 2020-May 2020
RTI International: Lead Field Observer
• Contact Research Facilities to arrange initial visits
• Schedule Observations with Center Liaisons
• Attend and observe required amount of lessons to record observation data
• Send data back to RTI Headquarters in NC within 24hours
• Maintain consistent communication with field supervisor
• Update Case Management System on RTI Computer
Global LT: Language Specialist
• Coordinate with Global LT Headquarters to arrange private lessons
• Communicate with client to arrange lesson schedule and meeting place
• Log each lesson on Global LT Engage website
• Design lesson curriculum according to client’s needs
Hayutin & Associates: Academic Tutor of Multiple Liberal Arts Subjects
• Organize schedule with student to arrange private lessons
• Communicate with student about subject material as well as their strengths and weaknesses
• Meet with student weekly or as many times as student desires to complete lessons which can be as long as they please.
• Drive to student’s residence or public place of preference for lesson
• Discuss student progress with parents and record progress through notes on company log reports after each lesson
• Grade exam prep papers for company test center when necessary
• Submit notes about each student session weekly
August2019 -September 2019 (Summer Camp)
UCLA Extension: ESL Academic Writing and Presentation Instructor-Westwood, CA
• Prepare for class based on UCLA Extension curriculum
• Modify curriculum to make lessons more innovative and intriguing for students
• Post grades and announcements on Canvas for students to submit
• Instruct class as a University Level English Composition Course
• Attend closing ceremony for student’s return to their home country
July 2019- August 2019
PT Substitute ESL Instructor at EC Los Angeles -Santa Monica, CA
• Prepare lessons for a variety of 3-hour classes (Elementary-Advanced)
• Prepare fun, active yet academic lessons to keep students interested
• Organize activities outside the classroom where students can practice English
• Instruct two 1.5-hour classes with 15-minute break
• Attend staff meetings and complete administrative duties
February 2017- November 2019
Student Learning Associate and Writing Tutor at El Camino College – Compton, California
• Attend a variety of English courses
• Aid and assist in English composition, reading and writing
• Offer support and assistance with questions related to English or class material
• Collaborate with Professors once a week
• Hold in class tutoring workshops on several different English based subject
• Help walk-in students at the writing center in the Student Success Center
September 2017-May 2019
Writing Tutor at the TLTC (Toro Learning and Testing Center)
• Help current DH students with writing assignments as per appointment
• Provide overviews and overall editing suggestions on papers
• Review outlining and essay structures
• Ensure proper usage of MLA/APA/Chicago Formats
• Work with students individually for 30-60-minute lessons
August 2015-August 2018
ESL Teacher at Language Systems International- Torrance, California
• Create lesson plans for varying levels of English equivalency
• Teach students from diverse cultural backgrounds
• Assess students progress through weekly tests
• Attend monthly meetings with management
• Provide extra-curricular activities for students to practice English outside of class
• Taught Level 6 Writing Class to students who now attend University
April 2014-April 2015
English Teacher at AEON English Conversation School Hashimoto, Kanagawa, Japan
• Attended an intensive 10-day training as well as two separate follow up adult and kids training three months into the job.
• Arrive at work early to Clean the office
• Prepare daily lessons and future special lessons during office hours
• Correct and consult with Students who use Self Study materials
• Teach one-hour classes to Kids age 3-15 and Adult students ranging anywhere from 18-75 years old.
• Keep track of schedule changes and new marketing arrangements made for the school.
• Work with colleagues to find the best options for our student’s future studies.
• Consistently counsel and guide students with the proper study and preparation methods for class.
• Working with and meeting new people
• Worldwide Travel-(visited Spain, France, Dominican Republic, UK, Germany, Italy, Holland Mexico, Bermuda, Japan, Hong Kong etc.)
• Language and Linguistics
• Writing and Reading Literature and Poetry
• Sports including Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Snowboarding, Swimming
• Photography and Music
• Reading, Learning and trying new things
I would like to recommend Amanda for ESL tutoring and teaching. I was her colleague at a private language school in Los Angeles (Torrance) for about 2 years from 2012-14 and we have stayed in touch since I left the school. Amanda is both diligent and enthusiastic, a really great combination in a teacher.
Amanda is a charming, well-prepared, enthusiastic teacher who really cares about her students and doing a good job.
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, essay writing lessons for all!
Taking literacy lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||$40||$25|