My teaching method is diagnostic- you show me what your goals are, what you are struggling with, and I will work with you individually to improve your writing, speaking, and achieve your assignment goals, from Intermediate ESL to advanced composition.
I am a Masters student of Applied Linguistics and TESOL, with an undergraduate degree in English Rhetoric and French. I have tutored English writing for the past five years, making English easy and fun, and helping students achieve excellent grades.
Bachelor of Arts | University of Missouri Kansas City
• Majors: English Rhetoric/ Language and French Language/ Literature.
Minor: English Literature.
• Graduated Sum Cum Laude and as Honors Scholar, completing both the Honors College curriculum and an additional year-long senior Undergraduate Thesis.
• GPA: 3.9
• Studied French language abroad Lyon, France at Université Lumière Lyon Deux.
• Transfer scholarships: Chancellor’s Transfer Award, Phi Theta Kappa Scholarship.
Associate of Arts | Johnson County Community College
• Phi Theta Kappa Member.
• Honors Program: Completed four semester-long honors contracts, working closely with faculty to study supplementary class material.
• Scholarship: Honors Scholarship, received May 2015.
Certified Peer English Writing Tutor
Johnson County Community College | Overland Park, KS
• Tutors students in all different levels of English proficiency classes offered at Johnson County Community College, including English as a Second Language to upper- level/ Honors Composition writing courses.
• Closely works with ESL students in learning and fully understanding the structure, pronunciation, and composing of English- related assignments, papers, and presentations.
• Assists students with writing assignments by walking them through brainstorming, drafting, and revising processes.
• Attends staff meetings to discuss personal and team development in order to improve tutoring services and better understand academic writing.
Académie Lafayette - Oak campus | Kansas City, MO
• Taught English for students grades 6-8 during the Académie Lafayette Summer School program.
• Utilized both the French and English language during class time in accordance to Académie Lafayette's French immersion vision.
• Created and adapted fun and interactive lesson plans and classroom work to meet students' individual needs.
• Supervised students in classroom and out-of-classroom activities throughout workday.
Language: English (native) French (Proficient) German and Spanish (Elementary)
Interpersonal: Customer Service, communicatoins
Software: Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite
Administrative: Event planning, scheduling, social media marketing
Volunteer/ Abroad Experience
Youth With A Mission
• Newcastle, Australia: Completed Discipleship Training School while leading local youth recreational activity programs, specializing in theatre and dance instruction.
• Berlin, Germany – Volunteered with local community centers and safehouses for refugees by providing child-care services.
• Yapton and Cambridge, England- Volunteered in elementary schools to give enriching musical performances and educational programs.
• Bern, Switzerland- Completed School of Biblical Worldview while visiting and hearing presentations from United Nations and CERN in Geneva as a part of curriculum.
Conference on College Composition and Communication | Kansas City
• Provided conference attendees with friendly welcome and information and recommendations about Kansas City’s restaurants, attractions, and nightlife as a part of the CCCC greeting and hospitality team.
• Attended and participated in panels presented by professors and linguistic researchers from around the United States.
Research and Professional development
Honors Undergraduate Thesis
• Collected data from 337 student finals and midterm examinations to determine definable features of guided open-ended self-reflection and to draw correlations between such features and grade averages.
• Learned the process of IRB proposal and quantitative data organization and presentation.
• Contributed to the ongoing research of linguist Dr. Lindsy Myers, faculty at UMKC.
• Edited draft publications from authors of the peer-reviewed journal, The Eighteenth Century: Theory and Interpretation under editor and Chief: Jennifer Frangos.
• Acquired hands-on experience in the basics of producing an issue of an academic journal, learning Chicago Manual Style and collaborating with and attending lectures delivered by other editors.
Dictionary Publishing and the Inclusion of Phonetic Notation- Power Point.
Publication Practicum Capstone Presentation | University of Missouri Kansas City.
I Can: Analyzing Self- Reflection Statements in French Language Learners – Poster.
Honors College Research Symposium | University of Missouri Kansas City
I Can: Analyzing Self- Reflection Statements in French Language Learners – Poster.
Symposium of Undergrad Research and Creative Scholarship | University of Missouri Kansas City.
Shakespeare’s Language Influence on English Exceptionalism – Oral Presentation
University of Missouri Kansas City Symposium | University of Missouri Kansas City.
The Book of Kells: Irelands National Treasure-Power Point.
JCCC Honors Symposium | Johnson County Community College.
Best tutor I’ve ever had EVER
I worked with Elizabeth at Johnson County Community College a few times.
From what I remember, she was patient, kind, helpful and supportive. She really is good at giving advice on what could be improved.
She is willing to help anyone at a moments notice, no matter what the issue is. She ensures that all the individuals that she works with succeed in their course work.
Very friendly individual.
Theses are the reasons that I think Elizabeth is a trustworthy teacher.
I worked alongside Elizabeth in the same writing center for years, and I was always impressed by her professionalism, friendly demeanor, and satisfaction of her students. Always patient, never demeaning, she was always a joy to watch tutor, and I believe she will bring the same energy to tutoring here. Cannot recommend enough.
Elizabeth and I worked together for about five years in a Community College Writing Center. During that time, I watched her develop from a student tutor who was entirely new to the process into a confident, articulate, and empathetic senior tutor who approached her job with the utmost seriousness and care.
Elizabeth has a wide variety of experiences, both in her tutoring capabilities and her life. Her years of travelling around the world have fostered a love of language and multiculturalism, which is reflected directly in her work with students from all walks of life. Her devotion and patience when working with students is second to none. Elizabeth has experience tutoring a wide array of subjects (from English to Science to Humanities and everything in between), and goes out of her way to make sure that her students understand what a particular course expects of them.
Especially noteworthy is that Elizabeth has a genuine talent for working with ESL/ELL students. Being fluent in both English and French, she has a very direct understanding for and empathetic disposition toward individuals who are navigating the process of learning another language. I've seen her, multiple times, sit patiently with a student and work through issues of translation, context, cultural peculiarities, and grammar until the student walks away with a better understanding of the English language.
I cannot recommend Elizabeth highly enough as tutor, a colleague, and a friend. She is an intensely hard working woman, and a truly dedicated teacher and learner.
Elizabeth is an attentive educator who listens to what you need and is dedicated to helping you learn in a way that best suits your learning style. She is a friendly, patient, and understanding teacher who allows you to learn and develop at your pace and seeks to provide you all the necessary information to succeed and learn.
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, literature lessons for all!
Taking essay writing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|