I base my class on the student's writing and helping them identify mistakes that they make repeatedly. Going through their own writing with an extra pair of eyes teaches the students the skill to edit their own work more effectively.
I am a Ph.D. Candidate in International Relations and have tutored English since 2009. I have edited manuscripts for the United Nations, tutored in resume and cover letter writing, worked as an editor for an English textbook with Cambridge University Press, and have extensive experience working with high school students and college students in applying to universities and graduate schools.
American University | Washington, DC | expected graduation: May 2023
Ph.D. in International Relations, Concentration: International Development
George Washington University | Washington, DC | May 2017
M.A. in International Development Studies
Swarthmore College | Swarthmore, PA | May 2014
B.A. in Literary Translation (minor in Educational Studies)
Study abroad in Madrid, Spain (fall of 2013) with Hamilton College Year Abroad in Spain
United Nations Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean: Consultant (Oct. 2019)
• Reviewed the report, “Korean Foreign Direct Investment in Latin America and the Caribbean”
Freelance Korean-English Consultant: Interpreter and Translator (Select Assignments)
• National Portrait Gallery and Korea Foundation: Interpreter for curator seminar for artist Yoon Suk-nam (Sep. 2019)
• Korean Federation of SMEs (KBIZ): Interpreter for meeting with the Washington Times (June 2019)
• Statistics Korea (KOSTAT): Interpreter for training and meeting at the U.S. Census Bureau (May 2019)
• Press Arbitration Commission: Interpreter for meeting with the American Bar Association (Mar. 2019)
• Institute of Justice, Korea: Interpreter for meeting with the World Bank, National District Attorneys Association, and the U.S. Department of Justice (Dec. 2018)
• Republic of Korea, Supreme Prosecutor’s Office: Interpreter for meeting with the U.S. Department of Justice, Criminal Division about cyber security (Nov. 2018)
Political Science Department, Stanford University: Research Assistant (Apr. 2018 – Jan. 2019)
• Found, translated, and summarized primary and secondary sources in Korean related to Henry Kissinger for Dr. Niall Ferguson’s research project
Scholar Intern | Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars | Washington, DC | Spring, 2017
• Reviewed relevant literature regarding the North Korean regime and international relations
• Translated and edited manuscripts for presentation and publication at the Wilson Center
Consultant | Catholic Relief Services | Washington, DC | Sept. 2016 – Apr. 2017
• Developed GIS training material for field staff in Tanzania, Ethiopia, and Kenya
• Prepared a research report on the underuse of technology in development projects, increasing the effectiveness of interventions, and disseminating lessons learned
Intern | U.S. Senator Coons’ Office | Dover, DE & Washington, DC | Fall, 2014 and 2015
• Researched and wrote reports on the effect of the Syrian crisis for refugee children and the effects of Affordable Care Act at the local level
Development Coordinator | Delaware Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals | Newark, DE | Sept. 2014 – Jul. 2015
• Managed donations and designed impact evaluations for projects and reported outcomes to donors
• Produced the annual and monthly reports on fundraising and development income
2020 Midwest Political Science Association (MPSA) Conference | Chicago, IL | Apr. 16-19, 2020
• Accepted paper: “Influence of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) on Immigrant Youth Political Participation”
o Difference-in-difference statistical analysis using Stata
American University Tri-School Ph.D. Research Conference | Washington, DC | Feb. 21, 2020
• Paper presentation: “Influence of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival (DACA) on Immigrant Youth Political Participation”
Inaugural American University Ph.D. Conference | Washington, DC | Feb. 22, 2019
• Paper presentation: "Separate Family Reunions: A Tool for or a Result of Good Inter-Korean Relations?"
Catholic Relief Services Consultation Final Presentation | Baltimore, MD | May 5, 2017
• Master’s thesis and consultancy deliverable: “GIS Tools for CRS Humanitarian Programming”
Virginia International University's Center for Democracy and International Affairs Conference | Vienna, VA | Apr. 27, 2017
• Paper presentation: "Migration, Continued Economic Development, and Challenges to Social Development in South Korea"
o Map created using ArcMap
• Computer: ArcMap, ArcCatalogue, Jupyter Notebook, Microsoft Office, Python, QuickBooks, SPSS, Stata
• Language: Korean (fluent), English (fluent), Spanish (intermediate)
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest essay writing lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, Test prep for all!
Taking Resume / Cover letter writing prep has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at her home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$20|