I like to talk to the student and see what their needs are be able to customize lessons based on needs and interests of the student. I like to use a mixture of traditional and new techniques and doing what is needed to help the student.
I have been teaching English as a second language for 6 years. Many of those years were working in Japan and China as an English teacher and I am also a licensed teacher in the the state of North Carolina in ESL.
Summary of Qualifications
By nature, a person with great interpersonal communication and collaboration skills.
Education and work experience in counseling and teaching English as a second language..
Experience working as an ESL teacher for North Carolina Public Schools
Experience with curriculum design and implementing plans for various activities as well as long and short-term classes.
Experience working with various international populations to guide them through the school and college application process.
Experience working with various international and socio-economic classes at a Title I school.
Experience working with students on making the best choices with their school courses.
Proven ability to successfully counsel, mentor, lead, and teach people of various ages.
Proven ability to show compassion and concern for others I work with, leading to positive outcomes.
ESL Teacher for Rowan-Salisbury School Systems (BT License # 1228004)
September 2018 to Present
* Teach ESL lessons to middle school students and high school students at Knox Middle and Salisbury High
* Develop curriculum for beginner and advance students
* Use classroom management skills to handle crisis and behavioral issues of the students)
* Prepare students and administer to students the WIDA Access test
* Submit paperwork and research students on Ellevation database
* Teach students electronically and submit grades on Schoology and Power School
* Collaborate with other teacher and staff on projects and issues in the classroom
* Contact parents and guardians as needed about what their students are doing
* Hold parent-teacher conference as needed
* Attend Professional Development Sessions locally and out of state
* Assist with problems stemming from students or families during or after school when applicable.
ESL Teacher and Live-in Manager for WSK International/Jiayu School
September 2014 to August 2018
Jiayu School/WSK International: Wesleyan Village Live-in Manager (January 2017 to August 2018)
Jiayu School: JD.com as an ESL Instructor (December 2015 to December 2016)
Jiayu School: Beijing Changping Vocational School ESL Teacher (September 2014 to December 2015)
* Teach ESL lessons to students of various ages and all skill levels at Beijing Changping Vocational
School and JD.com either face-to-face or online.
* Help with the development and develop curriculum for programs in the school and the company.
* Lead teacher training workshops and lessons at Beijing Changping Vocational School.
* Conduct lessons online on diverse topics as well as TOEFL and GRE verbal preparation lessons.
* Counsel students on college choices and guide them through the college application process.
* Discuss the paths to colleges of choice and talk about what is needed for their chosen majors.
* Teach ESL lessons to corporate accounts of Beijing Changping Vocational School and JD.com.
* Coordinate with teachers for various aspects of the student’s stay in Rocky Mount such as: Leading
and being the point of contact for emergency medical situations, scheduling appointments for
teachers and students, and working with teachers and students for various problems at the village
and at the schools.
* Have meetings with various teachers about how the students are doing and any areas that need to
* Coordinate various aspects of the student center, such as building and maintenance, security,
and transportation to help the students and the teachers while they were staying in North Carolina.
* In charge of purchasing items and inventory for the student center.
* Keep records of specific students as well as maintained communication with those students to make
sure they are doing well in school. Also wrote progress reports for the parents of those students.
June 2012 to April 2013
Wishborn Global Communication, Fukuchiyama, Kyoto, Japan
* Conduct one-on-one and group conversational English lessons for students of various ages and
* Evaluate students and make placement recommendations.
* Conduct business English classes at various companies.
* Conduct TOEIC exam and Eiken Exam preparation classes.
* Conduct English lessons at various kindergarten schools.
* Use office software to plan lessons for students.
Psychology Associate I
November 2009 to July 2011
Dillwyn Correctional Center, Dillwyn, VA, United States
* Conduct intake and mental health classifications with offenders in the probation violation unit.
* Keep up with paperwork, Intake Forms, and process them in CORIS Software.
* Conduct intake sessions with general population offenders.
* Conduct therapeutic sessions with various offenders.
* Administer assessments for psychiatry.
* Coordinate with departments and agencies to help individuals.
* Conduct CE training on mental health issues and suicide prevention to correctional staff.
* Provide the facility with crisis management of psychotic, homicidal, or suicidal offenders.
* Use the CORIS database to research offenders and members of institute staff.
* Use Microsoft Office Applications for forms and notation of counseling sessions.
* On occasion, on call for crisis management services.
June 2004 to January 2006
The NOVA Group, Shizuoka City, Shizuoka Prefecture, Japan
* Teach conversational English to Japanese students of all ages and ability levels.
* Keep track of student’s improvement through written comments and make recommendations
* Discuss student’s strengths and weaknesses with staff members for counseling sessions.
* Make written recommendations to help the students improve.
* Help students prepare for the TOEIC, TOEFL, and Eiken English tests.
VOLUNTEER EXPERIENCE OR LEADERSHIP
Athletics Department Intern: October 2013 to May 2014
Patrick Henry Community College, Martinsville, Virginia
* Creation of documents for use by the athletics department of Patrick Henry Community College.
* Compile data from study hall records of hours athletics spent studying.
* Compile data of Slim Gym activity for use in future financial planning and studies.
* Assist in preparation for tournaments and charity events at the college.
ELL Intern: September 2013 to December 2013
Martinsville High School, Martinsville, Virginia
* Assist the ELL teacher in providing ELL lessons for the students.
* Assist in monitoring student behavior in class.
* Tutor students in their content classes.
* Teach ELL lessons at the discretion of the ELL teacher.
Shenandoah University, 2014 GPA: 3.40
Winchester, VA, United States
Master of Science in Education: TESOL
International House, 2012
Miami Beach, FL, United States
CELTA Certificate (University of Cambridge)
Liberty University, 2009 GPA: 3.43
Lynchburg, VA, United States
2009: Master of Arts in Professional Counseling
2013: Graduate Certificate in Trauma Studies GPA: 4.00
Radford University, 2003 GPA:2.82
Radford, VA, United States
Bachelor of Science in Interdisciplinary Studies (History and Theater)
Pi Gamma Mu honor fraternity.
Residential Hall Council (Senator).
Radford on Camera Television.
Patrick Henry Community College, 2001 GPA: 3.40
Martinsville, VA, United States
Associate of Arts in General Studies
Student of the Year: 2001.
Student Government Association Officer of the Year:2001.
Phi Theta Kappa honor fraternity.
Student Government Association (Senator and Vice-President).
Magna Vista High School,1999 GPA: 3.34
Ridgeway, VA, United States
High School Diploma
National Vocational Technical Honor Society.
International Thespian Society (Secretary)
Boy Scouts of America (Eagle Scout)
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, Test prep for all!
Taking oral expression lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|
|1 hour||Not available||Not available||$17|