I tailor lessons to the strengths and needs of each student, asking questions that help the student to reflect on how to best formulate their ideas and gain insight, also providing knowledge when needed, making the content fun and stimulating for that given student and always engaging, preferring dialogues to lectures.
With a BA in English, an MA in Humanities and an MSW, I have 15+ years of experience teaching and tutoring in the humanities and the social sciences with great success helping students to improve their writing/critical analysis/test scores. I was instrumental in one student completing an MA in Counseling at Columbia University, for example, providing feedback that greatly helped her to improve her writing.
DYLAN MARKS, LMSW
New York University, Silver School of Social Work, New York, NY
MSW, May 2015, LMSW exam passed on July 9, 2015, GPA: 3.96
University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
MA, Humanities with focus on English Literature, June 2002, GPA: 3.89
Reed College, Portland, OR
BA, English and Theater, January 1999, GPA: 3.50
Words & Numbers, Director/Tutor, full-time, New York, NY, January 2008 - September 2013
• Tutored SAT preparation extensively in the reading, writing/language and essay sections with excellent results, in humanities/social sciences generally for all grades/math through grade nine.
• Directed small company of tutors, hiring, supervising, overseeing and planning program.
University of Phoenix, Instructor, Portland, OR, New York, NY, full-time, April 2005 – January 2008
• Taught courses in English literature, writing composition, philosophy, art history and humanities, online, developing rapport, academic success, and thoughtful discussions with students.
PD Courses, Ed. Writer, part-time, Portland, OR, New York, NY, January 2005 – September 2008
• Wrote popular graduate long-distance courses at University of La Verne for teachers in literature.
Huntington Learning Center, Tutor, part-time, Portland, OR, January 2005- January 2006
• Tutored SAT preparation in the verbal sections with students achieving high scores
University of New Mexico, Instructor/Ph.D. Student, Albuquerque, NM, September 2003 - January 2005
• Instructed and designed two English classes of 15-20 late adolescents and some older adults per semester with excellent student ratings and attunement to culturally diverse population.
Community Enterprises, Teacher/Coordinator, Brentwood, NY, September 2002- September 2003
• Taught cognitive and social skills to autistic adults, also running a small program in Manhattan for the agency, supervising and interviewing other employees.
Neoed Corporation, Ed. Writer, New York, NY, July 2000-September 2001
• Wrote ESL courses broadcast online to Korea for kids and for some courses, adults.
UTA School, English Teacher, New York, NY, September 1999-June 2000
• Taught English to first and fifth grade native speakers in Yiddish, engaging students.
Karen Horney Clinic, Psychotherapist, full-time salaried position, New York, NY, May 2015- Present
• Leverage psychodynamic relationships with 35 weekly patients, mainly adults, for interventions involving patients tolerating more of their feelings and psycho-education.
• Practice cultural competence, mindful of cross-cultural factors in therapeutic dynamics.
Coney Island Prep Middle School, MSW Intern, Brooklyn, NY, September 2014- June 2015
• Worked with 12 weekly clients and 5 small therapy groups on coping/social skills, emotional regulation and verbalization of feelings/fantasies as academics and behavior improved.
• Built strong relationships with families, modeling parenting skills and listening/validating.
Institute for Community Living, MSW Intern, Brooklyn, NY, May - September 2014
• Facilitated 12 weekly therapy/psycho-educational groups for adults, focused on loss, trauma, coming to terms with one’s own schizophrenia/other mental illnesses, and experiences of abuse.
AMICO Senior Center, MSW Intern, Brooklyn, NY, September 2013 - May 2014
• Treated 3-6 weekly older clients in psychodynamic psychotherapy and two groups, exploring patient’s anxieties about death and profound traumatic experiences concerning past attachments.
Project Renewal, Center of Modern Psychoanalysis Intern, Bronx, NY, September 2012 - January 2014
• Performed psychotherapy with four weekly adult patients, employing some psycho-education.
AFFILIATIONS AND HONORS
• National Association of Social Workers, NYC Chapter, member, January 2015 – Present
• Phi Alpha National Honor Society, NYU Chapter, member, September 2014 - Present
• Modern Psychoanalysis, journal of CMPS—published book review on Robert Snell’s
Romanticism and the Analytic Attitude,
academic english lessons close by? Here's a selection of teacher ads that you can check out.
Superprof can also suggest reading lessons to help you.
Learning isn't a problem, literature lessons for all!
Taking essay writing lessons has never been easier: you're going to learn new skills.
|at his home||at your home||By webcam|